Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,956,135 times

Advertisements

And if so, what results do you get? We have 2 machines, a Breadman and Welbuilt, and it's hit or miss whether it comes out. Maybe the new bread makers are better. We just use it now for pizza dough.

What brand machine do you have and results, or do you just mix your dough and bake it manually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 11:49 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,758,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
And if so, what results do you get? We have 2 machines, a Breadman and Welbuilt, and it's hit or miss whether it comes out. Maybe the new bread makers are better. We just use it now for pizza dough.

What brand machine do you have and results, or do you just mix your dough and bake it manually?
It's been my experience that bread machines should better be named "dough machines" because they're a lot better at making dough than making finished bread.

I make dough in mine, then shape it and bake it in my oven. Much better that way.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:15 PM

746 posts, read 3,501,785 times
I use a Breadman and have had great success with it. My whole wheat bread comes out the same each time. I have taken to removing the paddle before the final rise and bake so as to avoid the giant hole it makes. There's still a small indentation of course.

My best move was to find a bread machine cookbook that had some really tasty recipes in it, though depending on the kind it can come out dense or light, tall or compact. A German Pumpernickel will be sort and dense, a sandwich wheat tall and fluffy. I find that bread flour makes a difference, as does the kind of yeast. I also check the doughball during the first knead to make sure it is sticky not dry, and well formed, not flabby. If it is not right, I add a little flour or water as needed. Lately I just look, I have gotten used to what works for me.

One other note, if your water is heavily chlorinated it could inhibit the yeast action. I use filter water, and even warm it slightly in the microwave first.

And I am sure you add all the wet stuff first, the dry stuff on top, right?

Old 11-26-2008, 09:27 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,474,775 times
I have had a Black and Decker All-in-One Deluxe for about 5 (or 8?) years and LOVE it. I never had a loaf come out bad. Both the regular and rapid-bake versions are delicious. I actually prefer the rapid-bake as it makes a denser, moister loaf. Whole-wheat, cherry-almond, and dough for rolls are all good. I'm always asked to bring bread for the family get-togethers. We bought my mother-in-law a Zojirushi, but she doesn't like it and hasn't had good luck. Still asks US to bring the bread. The cat and I fight over the heel when it comes out, it's the best part still warm and slathered in butter!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,947,024 times
I tried the bread machines but frnkly handmade always was better IMO. Gave our away

Old 11-26-2008, 10:25 PM

625 posts, read 1,587,611 times
"NEVEEER"....Unhand that dough ball you evil thing: back you foul creature, back to the factory that spawned you and your automated kind....be gone. In other words, "Nope"

Old 11-26-2008, 10:47 PM

849 posts, read 1,954,672 times
Mine's been sleeping in a closet for a long time, like 5 years. I like to make mine manually. I would love to own a kitchen-aid though!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,343,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
Mine's been sleeping in a closet for a long time, like 5 years. I like to make mine manually. I would love to own a kitchen-aid though!
Yep, the single best bread-baking tool for the home chef is a Kitchen Aid Professional. Spouse has been baking bread by hand for over 30 years and is on his second KA (the first one bit the dust when it got slimed in a sludge flood in our basement 6 years ago) and he loves it.

Now, if we ever hit the lottery (kinda hard when we don't buy tickets, but eh, I can dream) I'll get him a 4-HP Hobart mixer, and a house with a kitchen big enough to use it, but that belongs over in the "what's your fantasy?" thread.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:39 AM

17,555 posts, read 39,195,810 times
I just bought a Zojirushi and I love it! I have had a couple other machines which I had to return because they were junk - this one was pricey, but a real Cadillac compared to the others. The loaves come out delicious, and it couldn't be easier.

My oven is broken right now, but we are moving soon, and then I will try the dough in the oven to see what difference it makes. But I love my bread machine!

Old 11-27-2008, 08:15 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,956,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I just bought a Zojirushi and I love it! I have had a couple other machines which I had to return because they were junk - this one was pricey, but a real Cadillac compared to the others. The loaves come out delicious, and it couldn't be easier.

My oven is broken right now, but we are moving soon, and then I will try the dough in the oven to see what difference it makes. But I love my bread machine!
The Zojirushi Bread Machine has good ratings on Amazon but is expensive. I guess the bread always comes out, right?
The last loaf I made last week was the no knead recipe I got on here, not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink