Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Today, I was making a double batch of soft pretzel dough. I was kneading the dough in a cheapo stand mixer and the kneading hook broke off.

I was eventually planning on upgrading to a better (and more expensive) stand mixer. However, I know that even some of the best mixers will have problems mixing heavy doughs. I've heard stories of mixers jumping around on counters or motors burning out. Yet, I've never heard of a bread machine breaking down.

Has anyone used a bread machine? I was thinking of getting a compact bread machine to use for my bread and other yeast doughs and save my stand mixer for the easy jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 03:42 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
I have a bread machine, and I do use the dough cycle on it (arthritis has stopped my hand-kneading). That said, I also have a KitchenAid stand mixer, which also does an excellent job on dough, since it's the Professional model (not the base level Artisan or Classic). It has a metal dough hook. Because of our lack of a real kitchen right now, I use the bread machine more frequently for dough; there's no good place to put the mixer, and so I use it for things like mashed potatoes, whipped cream, etc.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:45 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,480 times
I purchased a bread machine years ago when they were all the rage and even though I counted the minutes until I had one of my own, I think I used it only a dozen times. My Viking mixer, however, gets used at the very least on a weekly basis. It does a great job at kneading bread dough along with tons of other uses. If bread making is something you do often, invest in a powerful mixer that will use much more frequently.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I have a bread machine, and I do use the dough cycle on it (arthritis has stopped my hand-kneading). That said, I also have a KitchenAid stand mixer, which also does an excellent job on dough, since it's the Professional model (not the base level Artisan or Classic). It has a metal dough hook. Because of our lack of a real kitchen right now, I use the bread machine more frequently for dough; there's no good place to put the mixer, and so I use it for things like mashed potatoes, whipped cream, etc.
Yeah, I've seen recommendations for the Professional model KitchenAid. I was wanting to save some money by getting a smaller model like the Classic. Decisions, decisions.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:22 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
I also want a bread machine but another user here told me to get the mixer instead.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:01 PM

I'm thinking about getting both. I just don't want to break my mixer over some stiff dough.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:07 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I had a bread machine. I used it until it started to leak grease into the dough, which was several years. It was fine for making dough but I hated the way the bread baked in it...it made a big square loaf which resulted in slices too big for sandwiches and the crust was always tough. It was cheaper than a stand mixer but it only did one thing...make dough.

I have a KitchenAid Artisan (I didn't have enough counter height to get the Pro model) that I bought 7 years ago. I make dough in it three or four times a week. I have never had a problem with it. I also use it to make cake, cookie dough, frosting, marzipan, fondant, mashed potatoes, shredded chicken (just put the cooked chicken in with the paddle attachment and turn it on for a minute or so, much easier than the two forks). If it broke, I would repair or replace it right away...it's as necessary to my kitchen as the stove or sink.

I think when people have problems with the KA mixers breaking, it's because they didn't read and follow the directions...don't turn the mixer higher than 2 with the dough hook attached, don't overload the bowl, etc.

Before I got the KA, I killed six or seven cheaper mixers. When I bought the KA (it was my present to myself for quitting smoking, yay), I couldn't believe I had done without it for so many years. I've moved three times since I bought it, and it's always the first thing I unpack.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:02 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
I use an Electrolux Assistent. It is fantastic.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Apples and oranges.

A good stand mixer will mix the ingredients just fine, then you still have to let the dough rise, knead it, let it rise again, put it in the oven to bake, take it out when it's done.

With a bread machine you put the ingredients in and push a button. It signals you when to take the finished loaf out.

Each has a totally worthwhile place in certain people's kitchens, depending on what your needs are.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I have a good breadmaker, but I have to be honest, I probably have only used it 6-8 times. It works great, I think I have just shoved it in the corner and forget about it. I should make some bread, I love the smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink