Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 AM

368 posts, read 928,629 times

Advertisements

Anyone had great success making actually tasty gluten-free bread in a bread machine? I got a great Panasonic bread machine over the holidays - it doesn't have a gluten free cycle but I've followed various directions and recipes on the internet and although after a few tweaks here and there, I'm still not quite getting a "viable" good-tasting, not-misshappen loaf where I can use the bread for sandwiches for my kids or even myself as part of a morning breakfast. It will be an adjustment anyway from a store-bought bread but I'm trying to get it as close as I can. Store-bought gluten-free bread is expensive and simply horrible tasting. Any recipes/ideas would be much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
A friend of mine does gluten free with rice flour in her bread machine. I'll try to get the recipe for you.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I haven't made any gluten-free, but have been making sourdough. I do, however, just do the dough in it and finish in the oven. If you do a google search, some recipes come up. Here is one I found:

3 Variations Of A Gluten Free Bread Recipe - Bread Machine Recipe - Food.com - 308592

Good luck with it and keep trying! It can be tricky trying to learn how to do "different" breads like sourdough and gluten-free and you are bound to have a few failures, but that's how we learn. Don't give up, making your own is totally worth it!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:18 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I've never been able to cook a good loaf of GF bread. However, I do rolls in Pyrex custard dishes and those turn out really well. It's too hard to get the middle adequately cooked without over-cooking the outside with a full size gluten free loaf.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM

368 posts, read 928,629 times
Thanks all for your advice. Still haven't achieved a great loaf. I'm doing *something* wrong and I can't figure it out. I've tried gelatin, baking powder, etc., even making it in the oven instead of my bread machine, and although it sounds hollow when I tap it, it doesn't rise that much, and it has this artificial taste. I use standard flours like sorghum, brown rice, tapioca etc., since white rice flours didn't taste that great either. I'm wondering if I should add more sugar - I'm only adding a tablespoon or two, but it's that sweet taste of gluten bread that's missing that I'm trying to replicate. No one wants to touch the sandwich bread I make since it just tastes dull, is overly dense, etc. Someone told me to use oil instead of butter and water instead of milk, but then the bread had a vegetable oil aftertaste, yuk! Some people use eggs, some don't - some use dough enhancer, some don't. I'm just wondering if someone has some advice about bread machine bread-making, rises, etc., or even some links that can help me out. I can eat dairy so using milk or butter isn't a problem for me. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
I had this same question 5 years ago when my husband was forced to go gluten-free. I gave up on creating or finding a recipe that worked, and went with a gluten free bread mix specifically for the bread machine. A couple of the gluten free baking companies make one, but the best is Pamela's Products. I've made pie crust and bagels out of it as well.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 AM

A couple of hints. You have to put the yeast in and let the batter sit and mature in order to get the yeast flavor of bread. Then just before you bake, you add baking powder or baking soda and your xanthan gum.

Don't over work the batter, and it will be more like a cake batter than a bread dough. You will be making a non-sweet quick bread and not a bread dough kneaded loaf like you make with wheat.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,017 times
Old Mill Hearty bread. I love it!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM

363 posts, read 513,976 times
If the loaves sound hollow when tapped yet didn't rise much, that's a sign of:
1) over-kneaded dough.
2) too much flour/starch.
3) yeast did not activate -or- expired starter (used after it's collapsed).

You could:
-Try a loaf kneaded by hand, if only just to rule out over kneading/machine kneading as the problem.

-Try one with a little less flour/starch. The dough may stick to your hands- resist the urge to add more starch.

-Adjust your recipe to use a starter first: mix the yeast with a little water and starch, and let it sit a while until it triples in size- use it before it collapses. Then continue your recipe from there.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:14 PM

You can not knead gluten free bread. Even if you could, there is no point, because there is no gluten to be worked into chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink