Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 01:55 PM

4,696 posts, read 3,495,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You MUST try a real fresh one slathered in butter and preferably sprinkled with kosher salt or pink Himalayan salt. Then you will have lived, my friend.

I won't even bother with that KFC one, and I love corn.
I thought we were the only ones who used the pink salt on corn! My husband insists on it.
Fresh local corn is world's away from those gummy frozen half cobs. A little slice (well cob really) of heaven.

LC I can't rep you yet but fish and chips with copious amounts of vinegar sounds perfect. I'm just a little jealous!

Old 05-23-2017, 02:00 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,566,725 times
Quote:
You MUST try a real fresh one slathered in butter and preferably sprinkled with kosher salt or pink Himalayan salt. Then you will have lived, my friend.

I won't even bother with that KFC one, and I love corn.
That sounds lovely actually and not heard of pink salt before

Yeah unfortunately it's a problem finding here my love

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I thought we were the only ones who used the pink salt on corn! My husband insists on it.
Fresh local corn is world's away from those gummy frozen half cobs. A little slice (well cob really) of heaven.

LC I can't rep you yet but fish and chips with copious amounts of vinegar sounds perfect. I'm just a little jealous!
Oh it was grand

Thank you can't rep you either

Old 05-23-2017, 02:22 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,558,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
A little cob of heaven. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
That sounds lovely actually and not heard of pink salt before

Yeah unfortunately it's a problem finding here my love
Try the Himalayan salt anyway if you can. It's from Pakistan, so closer to you than me!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_salt

The pink salt I buy is pretty fine, and comes in a bulk bin at Sprout's Market for a few dollars a pound. A little bit usually lasts me a long time though. It has a beautiful, pure taste. It's great on fresh corn or tomatoes. Summer food.

It's summer food time in Texas, though it's been a mild 73 today.

Dinner tonight is some cheesy smoked sausages on buns, watermelon, and a penne pasta salad I made.

Ice Picks garnished with mint leaves for an appetizer. (It's just Iced tea & vodka.)

Pasta salad has:

tri-colored bell pepper
cucumber
kalamata olives
a wee bit each of chopped celery and daikon radish
chopped fresh garden herbs (parsley and mint)
grated parmesan
Olive oil & vinegar

Old 05-23-2017, 02:50 PM

43,854 posts, read 44,621,779 times
A peach nonfat Greek yogurt, 2 slices of high fiber/protein bread with strawberry spread and a large of tea with a teaspoon of sugar & a bit of nonfat milk

Old 05-23-2017, 03:03 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,371,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I never had fresh corn-on-the-cob until I "hopped the pond." For me, corn-on-the-cob was a frozen, half-sized cob that was often a bit mushy. Now, I can't get enough of the fresh stuff.

Speaking of corn-on-the-cob, it's Elote Loco season!!!

I made Brunswick stew for tonight.

I am not opposed to corn on the cob ... but it is not really in season. If it coming in from Arizona or Florida, it probably will have a completely different taste profile from the Midwestern corn later in the summer. I have not seen much corn locally in Arizona that I would want to eat off the cob unless it is in a Mexican beef soup.

If you want something really flavorful, place 2-3 tbsp of butter in a pan on low heat and very slowly brown whole kernel corn until it turns almost brown. It will be very sweet and tasty.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:08 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,566,725 times
Quote:
A little cob of heaven. I love it.

Try the Himalayan salt anyway if you can. It's from Pakistan, so closer to you than me!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_salt

The pink salt I buy is pretty fine, and comes in a bulk bin at Sprout's Market for a few dollars a pound. A little bit usually lasts me a long time though. It has a beautiful, pure taste. It's great on fresh corn or tomatoes. Summer food.

It's summer food time in Texas, though it's been a mild 73 today.

Dinner tonight is some cheesy smoked sausages on buns, watermelon, and a penne pasta salad I made.

Ice Picks garnished with mint leaves for an appetizer. (It's just Iced tea & vodka.)

Pasta salad has:

tri-colored bell pepper
cucumber
kalamata olives
a wee bit each of chopped celery and daikon radish
chopped fresh garden herbs (parsley and mint)
grated parmesan
Olive oil & vinegar
Oh my I didn't even know anout the different salts....

Thank you I'll look at finding that cheers

Old 05-23-2017, 03:10 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,924,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
...If you want something really flavorful, place 2-3 tbsp of butter in a pan on low heat and very slowly brown whole kernel corn until it turns almost brown. It will be very sweet and tasty.
We brown it on the grill, dip it in butter (some slather mayo), cover it with Cotija cheese, sprinkle Tapatio spice powder or Old Bay seasoning: Elote Loco.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:26 PM

10,059 posts, read 18,143,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I am not being snarky.... You never had corn on the cob? Or just not as fresh as those?

How can one get through life without having fresh corn on the cob at some point? Mind. Blown.
Sorry I wasn't clear ... I have had corn on the cob before but not (as I think I wrote -- at least, I meant to!) the kind where you buy it still in the husk. Hannaford had some 2/$1 last week and I thought that was a decent price so I picked up a couple. Of course after the first one I wished I had bought a bunch more! Then they went on sale this week, FIVE for $1. I am pretty stocked up on groceries but I think I will go in tomorrow and buy a bunch anyway ... at that price, how can you go wrong?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Any other vegetables you have never tried fresh?
Oh, I'm sure there are a few. It's only as an adult -- and really, only within the last few years -- that I have come to love FRESH cooked veggies. Growing up (mostly on military bases all over the U.S. and abroad), 99% of the time we ate only canned veggies, and they were not good (except for corn) -- canned asparagus, canned green beans, and canned peas, in particular, taste NOTHING like their fresh counterparts. Love the fresh versions, gag at the canned versions! (I actually started a thread about this back in January 2015 -- https://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...how-great.html -- I was so delighted to have "discovered" the joys of fresh, cooked veggies. I am sure that seems odd to some who grew up eating like that.)

Anyway ... tonight I baked more chicken thighs (what can I say, they were on sale last week for IIRC 77 cents/lb. -- that is about 45-50 cents each!) ... halfway through, I basted a couple with peanut sauce and a couple with Thai chili sauce. This is how they looked right out of the oven ...

I thought they looked amazing, but honestly, I couldn't taste the sauces much. Not sure why? Anyway, I had one of them over brown rice with broccoli and baby corn ...

I added about a tablespoon of the Thai chili sauce to the bowl. I also had a serving of Lean Cuisine's little spring rolls -- they are so quick and easy, it was hard to resist.

Still have 3 thighs left, which will likely be 2 more meals. Yum!

Old 05-23-2017, 03:53 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,464,910 times
A garden salad and biscuits, fries and fried chicken from Royal Farms.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:09 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
A garden salad and biscuits, fries and fried chicken from Royal Farms.
Royal Farms' fried chicken is absolutely delicious!

We had homemade chicken parm. Nom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.