Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:34 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,954,695 times

Advertisements

Papa Johns is the only chain pizza takeout I'll frequent. But honestly I prefer my local Italian pizzeria which has real pizza and generous portions.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,080,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm not sure I would agree. Chef Boyardi pizzas are not that expensive, and their crust tastes much better than a lot of restaurant pizzas. (You mix the dough yourself.)
Yes, that is basic same thing that Domino's is selling. They are just mixing it for you.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,516,841 times
Quote:
Does anyone else prefer the way Domino's used to make their pizzas in the past?

Nowadays they use some kind of garlic bread. I love garlic bread. But it doesn't seem to work for them. It tastes like something I might have tried to do when I was a kid. Combining a piece of garlic bread with tomato sauce, cheese, etc. But the flavors just don't work together. It's like a gimmick thing and you can't even have a normal crust.

Ugh. I used to really love Domino's when I was a kid. But they have completely changed. I've had their pizza about twice in the last 5 years. The first time I tried their new crust as an option. Then I got it again yesterday and that seems to be the only option other than a thin crust that I haven't yet tried. I don't think I'm going to be returning unfortunately.
I think its WAY WAY better than it used to be; they just changed it about a year ago, it was advertised as how they listened to their customers

Personally, I hate Pizza Hut now, because of how they doubled the price on their Tuesday pasta special. They started overcharging after I'd been ordering it for about a year, and then they cut the size of the pasta from Family to Child's size, but didn't bother changing the menu. I won't order from them anymore.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:15 PM

89,038 posts, read 85,623,987 times
My old landlord described Papa John's as "sponge cake with stewed tomatoes on top". I tend to agree with him!

I also agree with the person who said that some Domino's are better than others. Haven't had Domino's in years, but I remember where I used to live that there were two in the area. One was so much better than the other. I liked their thin crust pizza. Wonder if they still make that.

Pizza Hut I never liked. It's frozen pizza reheated.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:39 PM

836 posts, read 2,957,983 times
I'm fan of Little Caesars, cheap and tasty pizza, better than Dominos or Pizza Hut.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:41 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,949,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
I'm fan of Little Caesars, cheap and tasty pizza, better than Dominos or Pizza Hut.
Yes, I think they are the best chain.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:48 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,609,470 times
Dominos is just awful. I cannot stomach it, but they are still better than Pizza Hut. I kinda liked Papa Johns but don't like the owner and decided to quit buying his pizza (no great loss)

We have a local store here called Monicals that makes great pizza, but it is expensive, thin crust pizza.

A new chain store pizza place just opened and I'm fairly impressed, it is called Marcos.

Marco's Pizza

Old 09-03-2013, 06:52 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,460,867 times
Quote:
Does anyone else prefer the way Domino's used to make their pizzas in the past?

Nowadays they use some kind of garlic bread. I love garlic bread. But it doesn't seem to work for them. It tastes like something I might have tried to do when I was a kid. Combining a piece of garlic bread with tomato sauce, cheese, etc. But the flavors just don't work together. It's like a gimmick thing and you can't even have a normal crust.

Ugh. I used to really love Domino's when I was a kid. But they have completely changed. I've had their pizza about twice in the last 5 years. The first time I tried their new crust as an option. Then I got it again yesterday and that seems to be the only option other than a thin crust that I haven't yet tried. I don't think I'm going to be returning unfortunately.
I like it better than their old one they had a few years back. However, have you tried their deep dish or their Brooklyn? They both taste different than their hand tossed. I prefer the deep dish the best.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
I like it better than their old one they had a few years back. However, have you tried their deep dish or their Brooklyn? They both taste different than their hand tossed. I prefer the deep dish the best.
No, but I do plan to go back and try a different crust next time. I'm curious about all 3 (those 2 + thin crust) and I'm not sure which one to try.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:55 PM

I have been supporting Papa John's more lately because I like the guy who heads the company. And their pizza seems like an improvement upon Domino's, which apparently it originally was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.