Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:47 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times

Advertisements

I think consistency is a problem for all of them. I've been to Fargo's, Shakey's, Pizza Hut, Pizza Inn, Little Caesar's and at least 1/2 a dozen others over the years. I come away from each one thinking it was the best pizza ever. Next time or somewhere down the road try them again and am disappointed. Quality simply varies with personnel and times of your visits. Of course any may reduce the quality of their ingredients or improve them at any time.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:47 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,656,125 times
I believe they may be using cheaper or lower quality ingredients in order to reduce their prices to compete with much better quality frozen pizzas that they never had to compete against in years past. Before, all they had was small thin cheap stuff like Totino's and generic supermarket versions that were even worse. Now you have quality tasting frozen pizza for less than $10. Heck, even our local Walmart deli pizza (refrigerated, not frozen) taste pretty good. My wife and I like it's taste better than Pizza Hut's pizza because we find Pizza Hut's pizza to be WAY too salty. If money wasn't so tight, we'd get pizza from one of the local family owned restaurants. Still trying to find one of my favorite pizzas I had in Italy, Egg plant pizza. It was yummy!

Old 09-03-2013, 04:55 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I wonder if different franchises taste different, because the Domino's where I live is really good. Was never too impressed with Domino's pizza, but it tastes decent here.
I believe a lot of times it depends who is working.I am not a Dominoes fan. We buy from our local Grottos Pizza. Some times it is great and others really not so.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:13 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
In NH and Maine....most towns have a House of Pizza restaurant ,preceded by the town's name. I don't know if they are a franchise or not. The ones I have been to were Independantly owned and run. I think all the ones I went to were Greek owned. They made good pizza....better than any of the national franchises I tried.

The Gorham House of Pizza in Gorham, Maine my favorite. The owner is a real American success story of a hard working immigrant who realized his dream to open a restaurant. Angelo is beloved in town, as a character, an honest businessman, a philanthropist, a sponsor of the town sports teams....and a maker of fantastic pizza and other Italian and Greek foods. The pizzas are cooked in real ovens and checked on and removed with big wooden paddles....not conveyor belts like Alaskan Mutt mentions below.

Last edited by elston; 09-03-2013 at 05:28 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 05:18 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
This is going back to the 80's and 90's...I think pizza chains took a huge step backwards when they went from brick ovens to conveyor ovens. The crust tasted much better when baked in a brick oven.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:31 AM

469 posts, read 913,300 times
Never cared for Dominos, Little Ceaser etc. They are the low end fast food pizza. Now Pizza Hut and a couple of local joints get my vote. I dont eat fast food often, maybe once a year and its more along the lines of Subway, Lues etc. Same logic with burgers, if you want a good fresh burger that is not soggy, smashed or abused. You dont go to Mcd' or BK.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:28 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
IMO, all the pizza franchises are like the McDonalds of the Italian food world.........fast but not very good. We have an Italian restaurant near us that makes a terrific pizza, as is all their food. The first time I ordered one it was a $22.00 pizza, but it was big and really so much better than the $10 specials from any of the chains. Like Papa John says "better ingredients, better pizza. I can never hit the remote button fast enough so I don't have to see him do that dumb laugh of his at the end of his commercials. But I think that is the laugh he is doing all the way to the bank.

Don

Old 09-03-2013, 07:05 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I believe they may be using cheaper or lower quality ingredients in order to reduce their prices to compete with much better quality frozen pizzas that they never had to compete against in years past. Before, all they had was small thin cheap stuff like Totino's and generic supermarket versions that were even worse. Now you have quality tasting frozen pizza for less than $10. Heck, even our local Walmart deli pizza (refrigerated, not frozen) taste pretty good. My wife and I like it's taste better than Pizza Hut's pizza because we find Pizza Hut's pizza to be WAY too salty. If money wasn't so tight, we'd get pizza from one of the local family owned restaurants. Still trying to find one of my favorite pizzas I had in Italy, Egg plant pizza. It was yummy!
I agree with you. These days we buy frozen pizzas, and my favorites are the ones imported from Italy. I go to Super Target and they have their own line called "Archer Farms" imported from Italy, and one is the grilled eggplant - it is delicious! And they are only $5, too!

Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
For years Dominos was my 'go to' pizza place. I liked their fluffy, deep crust, well sauced, and nicely cheesed pizza.

Somehow I got out of the habit...maybe moving to a place where Domino was not so convenient.

I tried them a couple of times over the past two years. OMG. I don't know what they did, but the crust was thick and like eating leaded Wonder Bread, and the stuff they put on top where the cheese used to be--it was borderline disgusting, both times. I am probably gone for good as a Dominos customer.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:23 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone else prefer the way Domino's used to make their pizzas in the past?

Nowadays they use some kind of garlic bread. I love garlic bread. But it doesn't seem to work for them. It tastes like something I might have tried to do when I was a kid. Combining a piece of garlic bread with tomato sauce, cheese, etc. But the flavors just don't work together. It's like a gimmick thing and you can't even have a normal crust.

Ugh. I used to really love Domino's when I was a kid. But they have completely changed. I've had their pizza about twice in the last 5 years. The first time I tried their new crust as an option. Then I got it again yesterday and that seems to be the only option other than a thin crust that I haven't yet tried. I don't think I'm going to be returning unfortunately.
I think Domino's Pizza is far better now, then prior to their recipe change (like 4-5 years ago). That and their online pizza ordering is the only reason I get Domino's. I tried Pizza Hut and it's gross. I like Papa John's too as far as chain pizza places go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink