Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 09:43 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,167,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I was thinking tuna, cannellini bean, cherry tomato, celery sald but I could change.

How are Cuban steaks done?
It's just red meat (soft kind) but very thinly cut. You could kill me and I can't tell you the name of the part of the cow that they are usually made from.

Then you season it (let it soak for a while) with lime or lemon juice or squeeze a sour orange unto them. You pan fry them real quick and you add salt when they're almost cooked (so the meat doesn't get hard) and you can sautee some onions on the side and throw them on the steak afterwards, cut up some fresh parsley and use it for decoration. You can just cut up fresh onion real tiny and put that on top of the steak too.

Oh I'm such an expert! Trust me, I've messed up a good number of steaks and they came out like leather.

You need to cook them quickly. High heat. Don't let them get watery and boiling.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:56 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
It's just red meat (soft kind) but very thinly cut. You could kill me and I can't tell you the name of the part of the cow that they are usually made from.

Then you season it (let it soak for a while) with lime or lemon juice or squeeze a sour orange unto them. You pan fry them real quick and you add salt when they're almost cooked (so the meat doesn't get hard) and you can sautee some onions on the side and throw them on the steak afterwards, cut up some fresh parsley and use it for decoration. You can just cut up fresh onion real tiny and put that on top of the steak too.

Oh I'm such an expert! Trust me, I've messed up a good number of steaks and they came out like leather.

You need to cook them quickly. High heat. Don't let them get watery and boiling.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I don't know if I could make it thru, thinly sliced steak gets me thinking carpaccio

I was just wondering if it would be something like ropa vieja which I like very much.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,167,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmm, I don't know if I could make it thru, thinly sliced steak gets me thinking carpaccio

I was just wondering if it would be something like ropa vieja which I like very much.
Oh no. Not even close. Ropa vieja is shredded, with tomato sauce and green peppers and it simmers in the sauce.... oh what a mess!

The steaks are messy too because of the splattering of oil. I rarely make them, but they are easy to cook, just not the clean up.

I've tried making the steaks on the BBQ but can't compare. They just don't come out right.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:17 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,861,348 times
Back from the store and inspiration.

It's windy and very cool so I making chicken and dumplings w/mushrooms, pearl onions, peas. (LOL-weather guy just called this weather refreshing-think he's lost his mind.)

Because of VP's nutritious dinner last night I also got a pound cake and strawberries. Liked her topping better tho.

Also got 4 HUGE Boston Ferns and just potted and hung on front porch.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:36 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,437,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Oh no. Not even close. Ropa vieja is shredded, with tomato sauce and green peppers and it simmers in the sauce.... oh what a mess!
And a mighty tasty mess it is! Easily mopped up with a little rice.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,007,092 times
Probably have my 7 layer casserole tonight again. I can't think of anything else to cook and since I have to be up fairly early tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,723 times
Not sure what I am making tonight. Hubby bought some ground turkey. May use that in something. Maybe spaghetti. Maybe meatloaf. Don't know yet.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:24 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,251,606 times
Lacey, I am sorry you are still getting bad weather. Just the opposite here, it is 84 right now and we are being warned of rain, hail and possible Tornados.
I am making a homemade vegetable pizza with Caesar salad.
Have a great night everyone.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:27 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,861,348 times
Kelsie-stay safe!!!!!!!! Is this crazy weather or what?

Old 05-20-2008, 02:43 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,251,606 times
Thank you Lacey, you too! Sunday night out of nowhere at 7:00 EST the black clouds appeared and the wind hit 60-70 mi. an hour. Our dog was on the front porch and I could not hold the screen door open for her to come in, as the rocking chairs were falling all over the porch, I was yelling for her to come to me, she crawled on her belly under a table and chairs to get into the house. My husband was coming home from work at that time and said the sand was so thick he couldn't see where the farms began and the road ended. Then the quarter size hail and rain. A report just came on again, they are calling for our area to get hit between 7 (here we go again) and 10. I will let you know, and Hurricane season hasn't started yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.