Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 05:43 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,201,971 times

Advertisements

Good morning foodies!

elston am I seeing a pattern here? First we had elston's chops now we have kelsie's roast???? Glad it came out for you as promised.

cyn you got it for Sadie hope things get better soon.

minniemouse nice to see you around the table again!

Mooseketeer as well as seeing you too.

Lacey did your interstate get opened up yet? They are showing North Dakota this morning they have snow but now like yours.

We are 40° colder than yesterday no snow but plenty of rain again. Tonight we are having Italian sausages in tomato sauce wonder where I came up with that idea?

Old 03-11-2009, 05:50 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,864,095 times
Jaxson think it may be opened now. Driveway's like a mountain due to blowing snow.

Tonight simple-as refrig/freezer empty so it's pepper n egg subs.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:06 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,341,326 times
Cyn, sending karma in your direction for Sadie, as I also am to HG for her Jack. May both live and thrive for many, many more years, soaking up love and giving comfort in return.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:07 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,073,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I just came to read and drool.

MTH WooHoo..you are doing awesome!!!!!!

Kelsie I hear you on the ironing..we do it here as needed.
Liver and onions.....I will give my share to anyone. When I was a kid my parents tried to tell me that it was steak...now I wasn't that dumb!!!! Yuk childhood food memories. Reminds me of the time when my Mom was in the hospital having one of us (there were 6) and my Dad cooked us all oatmeal for breakfast and back then you did not waste food....anyway we had to use knives and forks to cut the oatmeal to eat it. I don't eat that either...LOL
Did anyone here have to have a tablespoon of cod liver oil in the morning?????????? I can still taste it and I can see the bottle.
You reminded me about the cod liver oil. I can still taste it, too! It was in the 1950's. I always loved liver and onions as a kid.

Can't decide about dinner yet. I'll be in the "use up what I've got" mode for the rest of the week, since we'll be off to the sunny south next week.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:02 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,640,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Jaxson think it may be opened now. Driveway's like a mountain due to blowing snow.

Tonight simple-as refrig/freezer empty so it's pepper n egg subs.
You people are just way too hardy ! In the UK the whole country comes to a full stop for a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Every year schools get closed, people end up stranded on motorways overnight, and the weather is described as "arctic weather" !

I think if we had to live with Midwest winters we would all curl up into tiny pathetic whimpering drooling balls on the floor and let jack frost take us...

I am full of admiration for anyone who can shurg off an ice storm for example !

Chicago in winter was the coldest place I have ever been ( despite having been to Greenland ! ) - the windchill factor made it feel like being an ice cube in a freezer, in a cold room . Brrrrrrr.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:04 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,673,391 times
I"m voting for Pizza tonight...The special is always on Wednesday night and we missed last week.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:36 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,523,706 times
I still have a little bit of grilled meat left from Sunday, so we will have some more soft tacos tonight, and you won't hear any complaints about that from me.

Usual suspects.. red chile sauce, onion, and cilantro.. I'm thinking it's time to whip up another batch of use-up-your-overripe-avocados green taco sauce too.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:56 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,252,511 times
Prayers to the Universe are going out for Sadie & Jack from kelsie's home. Thank you for letting us know and please keep us updated.

elston, I am so happy the roast turned out perfectly for you & dp Eye round is one of the cheapest cuts of meat & in my opinion the toughest. Roasting it the way you did affords you delicious, perfectly cooked hot roast beef sandwiches also. Can I come over for lunch, I'll make the potato salad?

I bought Black Angus Standing 2 Rib Roast for Christmas, started it on 500 for 30 mins. & then turned it down to what Lacey suggested. If I remember correctly to 350 and roasted the rest of the time. HELP LACEY!! It was perfect. Thank you Lacey girl! Lacey & I both had bones and a couple of pieces of rib roast left over and it made the best, outrageous vegetable beef soup that I have ever had.

It is chilly here today, rain coming high 50's. Dinner tonight will be Cornish Game Hens, bread stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn & cranberry sauce. Did someone say carbs lol.

Have a wonderful morning everyone.

Lacey, you will be happy to know the iron is away for the next week.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,413,771 times
Yeah I'm with many others here. I can't do liver. I love sautéed onions but if I had to do liver only I would be a vegetarian. Thankfully my mother didn't cook it when I was young. Although she did cook bloodwurst for my stepfather and gefelte fish for a friend that stayed with us. I am so glad she made different food for her and I.

Nomad- I'm with you. I would love to grow and can my own food. Jaxson is way ahead of us on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I followed kelsie's recipe for cooking the eye of the round roast of beef....it came out perfectly! The meat was medium rare....tender.....and juicy! It took all the guess work out of preparing a perfect roast beef....we had thinly slice roast beef....baked potato with sour cream....and brocolli...
It was exactly what I had hoped for ..... Thank You Kelsie!
Now I have to backtrack and copy the recipe. Does anyone one know what post it was?

HG-So sorry about Jack.

Cyn- I am so sorry for your Sadie. I hope everything is OK.

Jaxson Yum. Enjoy that sausage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I think if we had to live with Midwest winters we would all curl up into tiny pathetic whimpering drooling balls on the floor and let jack frost take us...
I love your description. Thanks for the laugh.

Lacey- Are you still on schedule? How is Mr. L today? Did you get the new meds? Sorry if I missed all of this.

Well our beautiful weather turned to "junk". I knew it was only a matter of time. At least we didn't get the snow here. I feel for all of you who are covered in snow. Tonight hot dogs(Hebrew National) and beans for my hubby. My DH was telling me when he was a kid one of his Uncle's used to have a Hot Dog Cart business in NY. DH said he loved going to his house for parties because the Yoo Hoo's and soda's were piled high in the garage. And then his Uncle would whip out that cart and make the hot dogs that were linked together and steam them. Oh yum.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,523,706 times
There is a recipe that I haven't made in years that would be perfect for your leftover roast, Elston, though it's more summery.

It was called something like Potatoes Provencale and it came from a Williams Sonoma cookbook that my mom had.

It had lots of cubes of roast beef, a yummy yummy mustard vinaigrette dressing, capers, olives, green onion, fresh basil, potatoes.
Mom never used the capers and olives.

It is such a great summer meal! Man, why is it raining and 39 degrees here today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.