Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 01:42 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,932,951 times

Advertisements

Statefan-I can feel your pain. My husband was career service and I could not count the holidays my kids and I spent alone-and it's painful. But please at their ages-make the day special for them as they miss their Dad too.

We'll be around for you!

Old 11-26-2008, 01:57 PM

68,427 posts, read 54,871,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
I find myself a little bit depressed today, just thinking about tomorrow. We were supposed to be in North Carolina right now, with my MIL cooking and taking care of the kids all week. Instead, we are here in Texas, with my DH on the other side of the world (New Zealand). He had to go for work and I understand that, but I am here with the kids wondering if they will appreciate anything I would cook tomorrow! (They are 8 and 6.)

Tough thing for kids those ages to understand.

I'd suggest:

1 Ice Cream
2 Cake
3 Lots of Hugs

1 & 2 should help get them thru the day, 3 they'll have for life.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:59 PM

Late dinner tonight will be a mushroom-swiss burger along with oven fries.

I'm thankful already

Old 11-26-2008, 01:59 PM

48,534 posts, read 22,157,450 times
Default Cranberry canned or fresh its all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
This is kind of embarrassing to admit............but I really like the cranberry sauce out of the can. You know, the big solid chunk that is jello like and you can slice?? Anyone else??

I just got back from the grocery store. What a madhouse!! I did find three huge stuffed peppers from the deli - Manager's Special for $3.50. So that is dinner tonight before we go out.
I like that cranberry sauce in the can too.......did you notice they changed the can so you cant use the canopener on both ends and slide it out......you have to run a knife around the can and hope it comes out!

I like the jelly style and the whole berry.....I also like all the home made versions.....even that pink pepto-bysmyl colored one that the lady on NPR used to give out the recipe for......had horseradish and sour cream I think....I like them all.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:33 PM

259,024 posts, read 91,120,862 times
Well let me confess too. We buy the sauce in the can. I much prefer to get the whole berry but wife likes the plain gelled kind so it is always a can of both. We eat it all year long when we think of it. Often at lunch with leftover chicken, turkey, or fish. Wife was agreeable for pizza for dinner but she also said I may get leftovers from her office party. Now my suspicions are on the high side. Getting nervous.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:43 PM

9,892 posts, read 13,956,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
A question for the more experienced:

I know at least one contributor to this thread has spoken of maken a red wine risotto. I usually use white wine, then beef broth, ending up with a brownish dish. I'm curious how substituting red wine affects the final color? Will it look gnarly contraseted with green peas?
I made red wine and mushroom risotto for the first time last week, so I don't know if that counts as "more experienced" It was the usual glossy grey colour but I added the peas (which were frozen) not long before serving so they stayed very green by contrast. Hope that helps.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:46 PM

48,534 posts, read 22,157,450 times
DP came home with 8 lobsters......so I will be cooking lobster for our supper....and am taking a lobster gazpacho to our Thanksgiving Day family dinner......The gazpacho is all made and looks and smells wonderful....tomorrow it will get the lobster added.....we have an interesting porcelain soup tureen in the shape of a sea turtle; it will be perfect for the presentation.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I made red wine and mushroom risotto for the first time last week, so I don't know if that counts as "more experienced" It was the usual glossy grey colour but I added the peas (which were frozen) not long before serving so they stayed very green by contrast. Hope that helps.

THANKS! I'm planning a mushroom/pea risotto with the addition of Italian sausage. I had visons of red wine turning it a Pepto-Pink

Old 11-26-2008, 02:54 PM

9,892 posts, read 13,956,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
THANKS! I'm planning a mushroom/pea risotto with the addition of Italian sausage. I had visons of red wine turning it a Pepto-Pink
Well I was worried about the pink too and I sloshed a little more red wine in than the recipe called for but the mushrooms (which were field mushrooms) pretty much took charge of the colour.
mmmm.....adding Italian sausage sounds delicious!

Old 11-26-2008, 03:06 PM

259,024 posts, read 91,120,862 times
Well I now have an official reason to only eat ham tomorrow. I had turkey for dinner. Wife came home with enough food to feed a small army that was leftover from her party. Seems they delivered enough for 57 instead of 7. Some how she was blessed with dealing with the leftovers. I've had two different kinds of turkey sandwiches and both really good. Now I will go and investigate the box of cookies included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink