Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 08:41 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,280,050 times

Advertisements

EM, I have the turkey soup bubbling on the stove right now. I'll send some over.

Cyn, I agree. I was at my friends' place having coffee when the wind started to pick up and we could see the storm headed our way (Nomad must have sent it). I had driven the golf cart, so I hopped in and headed home. The second I pulled out of the yard, the rain started. Luckily, it didn't rain hard, so it wasn't too bad. But the wind! Man, oh, man. I kept looking up in the sky to make sure a house wasn't going to drop on me! Good to be home.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:44 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,682,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
EM, I have the turkey soup bubbling on the stove right now. I'll send some over.

Cyn, I agree. I was at my friends' place having coffee when the wind started to pick up and we could see the storm headed our way (Nomad must have sent it). I had driven the golf cart, so I hopped in and headed home. The second I pulled out of the yard, the rain started. Luckily, it didn't rain hard, so it wasn't too bad. But the wind! Man, oh, man. I kept looking up in the sky to make sure a house wasn't going to drop on me! Good to be home.

Nomore......it smells intoxicating. Thanks friend.

Be safe cyn.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:47 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,208,255 times
Good Sunday morning foodie friends!

case you are welcome it is yummy.

Nomad & NMS hope you get the rains you need but those winds are rough.

YLisa thanks for the feta I knew it after I posted but couldn't think of it at the time.

I have been reminded we haven't had the roast beef hash so that shall be supper tonight. Have a wonderful day everybody!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:18 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,752,229 times
I saw this on our local news and wanted to share.
It can be used on any kind of meat and it sounds delish. I haven't made it but can't wait to.
v\:* {behavior:url (#default#vml);} v\:* { BEHAVIOR: url (#default#vml) } The Dish - The Dish: Solea -- Apricot Lamb Chops

Old 03-01-2009, 09:28 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,344,192 times
Sounds like our midwestern winter is heading to Florida! Stay safe, friends, a blustery day is a good one to spend indoors cooking. We're sunny and cold today, though I've heard that it's supposed to warm up later this week, hopefully melting off some of the snow.

Since it's Sunday, it's my weekly turn in the kitchen, and I'm going to try making the cabbage rolls that my mom used to make when I was growing up. I've never made them, mainly because I couldn't imagine what we'd do with an entire head's worth of cabbage rolls, and wasn't too sure what else I'd do with a bunch of limp cabbage after making up the few that we'd need, but my masterfully sneaky spouse had a brainstorm the last time we were at the grocery store, and I think I've got the solution.

See, our grocery puts a lot of the larger produce items like cabbage, onions, potatoes and so on out in these gigantic bins about 4' on each side and probably 3' deep. He was standing next to the cabbage bin, which was pretty picked over, and as he was looking at what was left, he realized that a lot of shoppers pull off and discard the large outer leaves of cabbage before they buy them. A lot of folks appear to pull off several layers of cabbage leaves, in fact, because there were a fair number of large inner leaves as well. So, smart man that he is, he picked out a couple dozen cabbage leaves that looked to be in good shape and stuffed them in one of those plastic produce bags, figuring that at 49 cents/pound for cabbage, those leaves shouldn't cost us more than a nickel or so.

Well, we got to the checkout counter, and when the fellow got to the bag of cabbage leaves, he held it up, looked closely at it, realized what it was, and didn't charge us anything at all for them! I guess from the store's perspective, they weren't about to charge us for taking away what they'd consider to be garbage, so that's fair. And now I've got what I need to make us a dozen or so cabbage rolls, some for supper and some for the freezer!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,337,647 times
Now that's a score!! Great idea!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:34 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,172,013 times
Hello out there!
Yeah, way too much to even attempt to read back. I hope everyone is doing well.

Just read the last few posts and looks like I'm not the only one wondering about the weather. We need rain, lots of it, but my mango tree decided to flower extra early this year and it has all these little baby mangos already on all the branches. I'd hate to see them all disappear so early but the wind IS very strong. I don't think they'll survive. And what a mess it makes!!!

I'm not doing too well in the cooking department. I do go to the supermarket and stock up on the specials but then Taco Bell and Pollo Tropical and Mc Ds is sooo much simpler.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,280,050 times
Great idea, MWBW. Your hubster's ok in my book.

vp, nice to see you.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:54 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,869,869 times
Hi VPCats-missed you. You don't have to be cooking to post.

MWBW-great idea. With what's left of the cabbage I just chunk and add to the pot.

NMS-close call-you could've been airborn.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,337,647 times
I hear you vpcats! If it wern't for my DH I know I would be a great customer for all of those places you mentioned! I am so easily satisfied! Ha! Give me a couple of tacos and I'm a happy camper!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.