Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 07:22 PM

2,409 posts, read 6,024,827 times

Advertisements

Tonight is fried potatoes with diced ham, cheese, bacon bits and mixed veggies.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:44 PM

259,024 posts, read 91,120,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Nomad did you buy all those onions or that was the cart the store had them in? Hope you are done with the dentist for awhile too.
I just bought two of those...Need to go to the field and get couple of bushels for myself soon as I can get there...

Old 02-11-2009, 08:15 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,380,696 times
Oh, my dear goodness, but those onions look wonderful, Noma! That's a great photo, too; you have a good eye, sir, a good eye indeed. Hope you and the Mrs. enjoy the results together, as soon as your mouth wakes up.

Supper here was comfort food; I had another long day at the office (only 11 hours, not 12 like Monday) and the spouse had a giant pot of soup simmering away when I finally dragged my tired heinie through the door.

Tonight's soup is a melange of Polish sausage, potatoes (both red and white), garbanzo beans and spinach, all simmered in chicken broth, and it was just exactly what I needed. It's a recipe he's made before, except that he had always left out the sausage. He included it today, and the result was that an already good soup was raised to ambrosial status. A hunk or two of good crusty bread to sop up the juices was the perfect finishing touch.

I realized as I was finishing my well-filled bowl that it was really pretty enough to have taken a picture, too: the vivid green of the spinach, tan garbanzos, red and white potatoes, and reddish-brown sausages, all jostling each other in a rich chicken broth, made a feast for the eyes as well as for the palate. That'll have to wait for another time, though, when I'm less tired and less ravenous coming to the table. Believe me, I'll be lobbying for a repeat performance of that wonderful stuff very soon!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:16 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,157,124 times
I have not cooked in the past couple days. I ran across this recipe and just had to share it with you all This is tomorrow night's dinner Yum Yum!! I know I am normally on later than most foodies but I catch up that way ha ha. Well I will be back on tomorrow am to visit Hope everyone is doing great!!

WHite Chili Recipe
Slice four chicen breasts into strips and saute with one bunch of sliced green onions and a diced red pepper in a small amount of oil until the chicken is throughly cooked. Add a large jar of great northern beans, a sm can of sliced black olives, 1 to 1&1/2 cups salsa, and a sliced brick of jalepeno pepper cheese. Heat througly.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 PM

259,024 posts, read 91,120,862 times
I forgot to mention the fact that in addition to the onions I acquired some fresh strawberries today...Seriously considering indulging in those before to many more hours...

Old 02-11-2009, 08:41 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,380,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I love asparagus--to me it has all the vigor and life force of spring....delicate and fresh and lovely. (This past spring I had fiddle heads for the first time...and they have the same urgency of flavor...taste me quick....my time here isnt long.
Elston, what intensely lovely imagery - oh, but I do love your way with words! "Urgency of flavor," what a perfect way to capture the transient nature of spring foods. Thank you for adding another facet to my appreciation for asparagus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I have some thinking to do as we are starting a new traditions.... Thursday Night Dinner in THE DINING ROOM.... Diva's idea.... she asked why we don't use the dining room... so Thursdays are now the day we are going to just because we are all home.... (so I better think of something good!!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I think that would be a great tradition and a time to introduce some more formal dining traditions.....utensil use....please, thank you , excuse me..... napkin use.....listening to conversation....avoiding any rude comments....waiting to eat until everyone is served..asking "may I please be excused". If your family is comfortable with it....perhaps a simple grace or holding hands in a ring before beginning. Good Luck
I completely agree with Elston here. The spouse's eldest sister, who was 17 years his senior, instituted a tradition of "Dinner With the Duchess" to help a harried, overworked mom teach the younger siblings good table manners. When the family had "Dinner with the Duchess," napkins were in laps, elbows off the table, knife and fork held correctly in the proper hands, "please" and "thank you" were expected, taking turns with conversations, no belching (an important point of etiquette when you have young lads at the table!) and all the rest. Sis-in-law was a natural-born teacher who had a real knack for connecting with youngsters, and I can attest to the fact that the lessons stuck. We used "Dinner with the Duchess" with our own kids to very good effect. You, Diva and the Chatterbox will have fun together, and they'll learn good manners without even realizing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Where in SE MI did you grow up?
Kimba, I grew up in Royal Oak, one of Detroit's northern suburbs. Back in the 50's, 60's and 70's when I lived there, it was a pretty ho-hum middle-class suburb, but I've heard that in the past ten or fifteen years, it's turned into the trendy mecca for yuppie wannabes. I haven't been back there in decades (no family thereabouts any more) but I've wondered a time or two if the house where I grew up is still there. Could well be; it was one of those red brick tract houses that sprang up like mushrooms all over the landscape in the early 1950's, and although there were a lot of them, they were sturdy and well built. Maybe one day I'll have the opportunity to go see for myself.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 PM

68,427 posts, read 54,871,699 times
Busy days in work lately, I'm not even going to attempt to catch up with all I've missed.

Tonight I had some local market prepared chicken Marsala, it was good but I'd guess the closest it ever got to Marsala was watching cases being delivered into the liquor section. I put some peas & carrots along side, a few glasses of Pinot Grigio, and a nice low effort dinner

Old 02-11-2009, 09:10 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,834,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Hey all! Aksarban started a wonderful thread that I think many would appreciate. It's a "tell something wonderful about your day" type of thread. I would post the link, but wouldn't you know I can't find it now I am looking for it Some of y'all have been there so you know where it is....lil help???? I hope no one minds me telling this in here! Not trying to recruit anyone for it or anything, I just really found it uplifting!!
It's a great thread

https://www.city-data.com/forum/other...-news-day.html

Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 PM

9,376 posts, read 12,018,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Kimba, I grew up in Royal Oak, one of Detroit's northern suburbs. Back in the 50's, 60's and 70's when I lived there, it was a pretty ho-hum middle-class suburb, but I've heard that in the past ten or fifteen years, it's turned into the trendy mecca for yuppie wannabes. I haven't been back there in decades (no family thereabouts any more) but I've wondered a time or two if the house where I grew up is still there. Could well be; it was one of those red brick tract houses that sprang up like mushrooms all over the landscape in the early 1950's, and although there were a lot of them, they were sturdy and well built. Maybe one day I'll have the opportunity to go see for myself.

Small world. I grew up in Ferndale. My sister and my father both live in RO now. My sister has for years. She lived by Vinsetta Blvd which is the "richer" part. Bigger homes. Right off 12 mile and Crooks.

I moved to Hazel Park and am now in Sterling Heights. I love the area, hate the weather.

Yes, RO is extremely trendy. Can be fun, lots of cool shops, bars, boutiques, restaurants, couple movie/concert venues. Happening place. Plus, they built tons of lofts there now. It was the "in" thing then. They were going for 500K a couple yrs back. Most are probably upside down on those mtgs now.

Other than that, I highly doubt you are missing much. They did make some huge changes to downtown Detroit too. I go to Greektown probably once a month and some sporting events, concerts or festivals. Still, I can't wait to move. The only thing holding me back is the people I love.

Made chili tonight, it was good. I could have used a little more chili powder, but I ran out. I like alot of it.

I am off to Vegas tomorrow, but I will be back on Tues. unless I get a chance to check in from there. Going to spend my anniversary with my honey-we've been apart a month now, so it will be good!!

Have a great weekend!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:46 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,152,998 times
I'm making some slow-cooked onions! (thinking it shouldn't be done in a crockpot?)

And the chicken chili sounds good! I bet one of my kids will like it!

Tonight we had pork stirfry. Came out really good! Next time, more garlic.

Tomorrow is a busy day, and some good neighbors are coming home after an exteded trip. So I am planning on Chick noodle soup, which is easy to stretch, and sharing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink