Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,367,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Small world. I grew up in Ferndale. My sister and my father both live in RO now. My sister has for years. She lived by Vinsetta Blvd which is the "richer" part. Bigger homes. Right off 12 mile and Crooks.

I moved to Hazel Park and am now in Sterling Heights. I love the area, hate the weather.

Yes, RO is extremely trendy. Can be fun, lots of cool shops, bars, boutiques, restaurants, couple movie/concert venues. Happening place. Plus, they built tons of lofts there now. It was the "in" thing then. They were going for 500K a couple yrs back. Most are probably upside down on those mtgs now.

Other than that, I highly doubt you are missing much. They did make some huge changes to downtown Detroit too. I go to Greektown probably once a month and some sporting events, concerts or festivals. Still, I can't wait to move. The only thing holding me back is the people I love.

I am off to Vegas tomorrow, but I will be back on Tues. unless I get a chance to check in from there. Going to spend my anniversary with my honey-we've been apart a month now, so it will be good!!
Small world is right! I grew up on Oliver Road, near 13 and Crooks, less than a mile from where your sister lives. One of my best friends lived on Vinsetta, and you're right that those are some mighty nice places there. My dad was born and grew up on Wabash in Detroit, and he mourned Detroit's downturn for decades. He'd be tickled to know that it has begun to revive at last.

Both my spouse and I are Michigan natives, and we would have given anything to be able to stay there. Sadly, Michigan's economy in the late 70's and early 80's wasn't an awful lot different from what it is today, and we decided that if we wanted to raise a family, we had to move. We've wound up in Wisconsin (by way of Texas), and like it a lot. It's a lot like Michigan in many ways, only with a somewhat stronger economy.

Have fun on your trip to Vegas, and enjoy your special time with your beloved! Be safe, and we'll look forward to your return.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:07 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,899,882 times
Well, the wind it is ablowin' here.... I can't believe there is school to tell you the truth.... HOWLING is more like it. Our trash cans ended up in the road at 6am.... Today is Recycling today and I am afraid to put it out to the curb.... it is going to be EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Dinner is usually at the kitchen table. And I am pretty tough on manners in my house.... I can't stand smacking and burping... using your hands instead of the utensils.... my kids know they will get an earful from me.... So, I think adding the Dining Room will only help things. Diva likes the DRAMA the room adds I think... LOL.... we really only eat in there on special occasions and she doesn't get why it isn't more often. SO, it is now a weekly deal. We will also be eating in there on VDay (one of our special traditions- personal heart shaped pizzas that we make to order and eat in there on good china every year).....Might be another reason she is thinking about it.....

Highlands mentioned lasagna.... I am not a fan of the dish... hubby is heart broken over this fact... as he is a hard core Italian. I just can't do it. I will eat it when served but.... never go out of my way to make it or order it. Stuffed Shells either... to me they are the same thing...Also, I don't know if I trust the four year old with sauce in the Dining Room.... not yet. She is one messy kids.... I will keep the mess in the kitchen.... LOL...

Old 02-12-2009, 05:29 AM

48,429 posts, read 22,111,128 times
skbs

We have the lasagna thing in my house too.....I love it and consider it one of the finest company meals.....my DP doesnt like it a bit....he will eat it.....but without any real enjoyment....and it is expensive to make and makes tons of left overs even wth freezing ..... so years go by without lasagna.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:34 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,262,748 times
Morning skbs and all the rest of the foodies that will be checking in! We went through 60 mph winds here last night but thankfully we didn't lose power. Have lots of limbs down in the yard around the house haven't looked to see about the fruit trees out back.

I have a song running through my head "I feel like chicken tonight" so guess it will be chicken!

Old 02-12-2009, 05:41 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,908,561 times
Morning all-not sure about tonight, have to see what the market has that stirs me.

Dinner out at Cheers was okay-very quiet and yesterday we noticed all restaurants were very quiet where they are usually packed at lunch. Our waitress told us in 10 yrs. she's never seen business so slow.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:56 AM

48,429 posts, read 22,111,128 times
Too early to know what will be for supper tonight......and my mind is on the tex mex buffet I am planning for Sunday....(I am not at all experienced in Mexican cuisine so have been reading and looking at recipes.....and definately having a good time.)

There is left over chicken from last nights supper....but that might get made into a chicken soup for a hearty lunch; in fact that is more than likely.....so I will eithr have to find something in the freezer and get it defrosted or shop. The microwave is still in the shop so defrosting continues to be a problem....I am not used to needing to plan that far ahead and get things defrosting in the fridge...so lots of running cold water.

Last edited by elston; 02-12-2009 at 07:06 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,899,882 times
Jaxson... that 60mph is what we are supposed to be getting now.... the winds picked up at 3am... and are getting stronger and stronger.... sounds like a plane is flying by.... I am off to drive Diva to school.... It was me today... I have to get to the grocery store so at that why not drive her??? I am hoping to find some inspiration for this evening....

Well, I have to run out and put the flying Recycling out to the curb... what fun that will be in about two hours!!! Just waiting to see what my front lawn is going to look like!!!! OH JOY Hope at least half of it makes it into the truck...... fingers crossed.....

Old 02-12-2009, 06:19 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,401,049 times
What I do elston is turn my oven on to 170 get it warmed up and then turn it off and put whatever I want defrosted in the oven. It is low enough to just defrost it but not cook it and since it's turned off it just keeps cooling down. I have trouble defrosting in my microwave--it always seems to partially cook it!
DH is making some kind of fish tonight and I will make some long grain and wild rice or brown and wild rice with it. Not sure of the veggie yet.....
You guys all talking about living in Mich my DH was born and raised about 14 miles from where you are all talking about. Small world indeed!!
We had those high winds last night too and some heavy rain along with it. Today is blue skies and nice temps again!!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:17 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,706,738 times
Let me see. I ahve some leftovers in the fridge we want to use up. With the chicken breast, I will make chicken salad and have the last of the ham steak with green beans, baked beans and beets.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 AM

12,227 posts, read 21,611,865 times
I should have thawed some chicken, but I didn't, so it will be something with ground beef again since I still hadn't frozen all.

DH was NOT happy with last night's dinner offering of baked potatoes but he did like the cherry oatmeal crisp thing I made for dessert!

Is everybody planning their Valentine's meals, is that why we're talking about lasagna?

I let him look at some recipe websites with me last night and pick two appetizers... so we're having a very "manly" Valentine's Day!
He picked bacon wrapped hot dog pieces and fried chicken wings! I don't think I'll do the chicken.. so tell me, what romantic food, if any, would go with bacon-wrapped hot dogs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.