Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 10:51 AM

2,480 posts, read 5,346,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Sounds good, DKVA. What's your recipe for the brown rice with peas and mushrooms?

I am at work now, about to get started on making a million copies for these massive audit files. At home, probably driving DH crazy, I have my big ole chuck roast in my dutch oven at 225. Not sure when I'll be home but I don't think you can really overcook chuck roast. It'll shred itself for my tacos if I leave it there long enough.
Real simple:
Brown rice
Small onion-chopeed
Birdseye steamfresh frozen baby peas with garlic and mushrooms (as much as you like thawed)-

Cook rice as per directions. Saute onion until soft in fry pan, add rice, thawed peas w/mushrooms heat through.
This is my first time making this-I would think to add a little extra liquid so rice not too dry.

Another great brown rice recipe is to saute onion and mushrooms,add brown rice and then soy sauce to taste.It is a Paula Deen recipe-but I change it-she always uses too much butter!

Old 02-28-2009, 11:00 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,334,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
I'm making a big meal tonight for my guests.
salad
Filet Mignon w/mushrooms
Baked potatoes
Broccoli
Biscuits

Have a wonderful Saturday!
Did my invite get lost in the mail???? Hay all! Just checking in - we are fixing to walk out the door to go to the lake. This weather is something else - tornado watches all around me, severe thunderstorm warnings, hail - AND WE are about to drive through it!!! HA HA HA, WE SCOFF AT BAD WEATHER!!! Not really lol, we just got a later start than we wanted, and the weather is only going to get worse, so best go now!

Y'all behave while I am gone! (Nomad! Jax! ALL!) Probably see you Tues or Wed - depending on when we decide we have had enough of the lake. Stay safe my friends!

Old 02-28-2009, 11:12 AM

48,429 posts, read 22,111,128 times
Tonight we are going to a church auction which is going to be held at a caterers hall in a historic bldg in Biddeford Maine....the menu:

Buffet Dinner- Dessert by Destination Catering
• Chef Carved Roast Top Sirloin
• Herb Crusted Chicken Breast
• Eggplant Roulades
• Salad, Rice Pilaf
• Artisan Breads and Butter
• Homemade Bread Pudding
• Coffee - Tea - Decaf – Punch

There will be a silent auction and then after dinner.....an aucitoneer will conduct the sales. I am looking forward to a fun night....and who knows what I might purchase....I know a couple of gift certificates to local resturants were donated, and a gift basket of international foods and some original art and crafts and things like a week-end at someones beach house....and a home made pie of the month.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:18 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,978,846 times
I will be saving room tonight while eating fridge buffet for some of the coconut cream pie....that is actually a leftover too.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:53 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,789,368 times
Homemade chili...it's defrosting on the counter right now! Maybe some crusty bread to go with it, if I remember to pull it out of the deep freeze.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:53 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,367,096 times
Goodness, so much chat around this dinner table since I last dropped in!

SKBS, I surely hope the Chatterbox has started to bounce back by now; one good thing I found when mine were youngsters was that when they got ill enough to run a fever, the bug seemed to run its course a lot more quickly, so hopefully the little one will be back up to chipmunk-speed very soon.

Cyn and Amber, I do so envy you your reunion coming up! Oh, soak each other up, dear friends, and savor every minute. I can't do that with my own mom any more, so I'm always glad to see other mother-daughter pairs enjoy each other so much. Safe travels, Amber!

Kats, have a great time at the lake, and be sure to dodge all those tornadoes en route. I don't blame you for being wary around them; sometime I'll tell y'all our tornado story (but not when one of our friends is under a tornado watch!)

We've got supper planned at one of our favorite restaurants, as today marks the 33rd anniversary of the first time my spouse and I ever went anywhere as a couple. I was a freshman at university, lonely and bored, wondering when all that excitement that everyone told me I'd find at college was going to start, and when a good-looking fellow with curly brown hair and bright blue eyes asked me out, I was so excited I almost couldn't reply. We've been a couple ever since, and although those thick brown curls are now thin silver waves, the blue eyes still sparkle just as much as ever.

So we're going to go out to celebrate 33 years of partnership tonight. The "official" anniversary, the one that the legal authorities recognize, happens in the summertime, but as far as we're concerned, this is truly our anniversary day.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:16 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,401,049 times
Ahhh MBW...how romantic! That is so cool. Enjoy like it is the first night you met!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,484,989 times
Tonight I'm cooking Beer Can Chicken! I like to add an onion or two to the cavity.... and some around the bottom of the pan...

I've got some acorn squash I'm going to roast off too... with apples, jalapenos, butter, brown sugar, and some maple syrup...

And... actually making home fries with onions to go along with it... had those leftover from last night... the boiled potatoes that is... gosh, now I'm hungry for it already!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:47 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,401,049 times
Ohhhh, that sounds so good Crazy!! Yum! I may just drop in--what is a good time?? I did decide on pork chops---probably elston style with butter beans, mashed potatoes and apple sauce. I was going to make some flan for dessert but just realized I only have about 1/2 cup of milk on hand---and as far as going to the store to get any well that is out of the question...it's raining pretty hard and I'm more then sure the stores are sold out of milk and bread because they are saying it's gonna snow---they always sell out of bread and milk if any snow is predicted!! I know it's odd but it is very true for this area!! Amazes me!!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:54 PM

48,429 posts, read 22,111,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Ohhhh, that sounds so good Crazy!! Yum! I may just drop in--what is a good time?? I did decide on pork chops---probably elston style with butter beans, mashed potatoes and apple sauce. I was going to make some flan for dessert but just realized I only have about 1/2 cup of milk on hand---and as far as going to the store to get any well that is out of the question...it's raining pretty hard and I'm more then sure the stores are sold out of milk and bread because they are saying it's gonna snow---they always sell out of bread and milk if any snow is predicted!! I know it's odd but it is very true for this area!! Amazes me!!
I usually have a couple of cans of evaporated milk for emergencies when I cant get to the store.....I like canned milk for cooking and also like it in my coffee.

I am honored to have those pork chops know as "elston's style" but I really have no claim on them. Your menu of pork chops and butter beans and mashed potatoes sounds sooooo good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.