Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2023, 12:32 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times

Advertisements

From major news media to Florida’s real estate sellers to NASA, lots of people seem to be worried about the rising sea level. Most blame it on global warming. Yet the sea level has been rising at a steady rate, between 1 and 2 millimeters per year, regardless of ocean temperature. The sea level rose when ocean temperature increased by 0.5 degree Celsius between 1920 and 1940, but rose at the same constant rate when ocean temperature cooled between 1945 and 1975. The sea level did not accelerate or decelerate, as some might expect — meaning that the rise of the sea level does not depend on ocean temperature, much less on the atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) level.

What might we expect in the future? People want to know what the sea level will be in, say, the year 2100. Well, if the sea level continues to rise at the same average rate, as we expect, it will be higher by about six inches* — no big deal! That’s a long way from the crazy numbers that Al Gore has been peddling.

S. Fred Singer is professor emeritus of the University of Virginia and a senior fellow with The Heartland Institute. He was among the first prominent scientists speaking out against global warming alarmism. An atmospheric and space physicist, he headed the U.S. Weather Satellite Service [now part of NOAA], founded the Science and Environmental Policy Project and the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change.

Meanwhile, Bill Gates, one of the world's most high-profile environmental advocates, took 59 private flights in 2017 covering a distance of around 213,000 miles – more than eight times around the world – generating more than 1,600 tons of greenhouse gases (which is equivalent to the average yearly emissions of 105 average Americans).

The world's wealthiest 10% were responsible for around half of all global emissions in 2015, according to a 2020 report from Oxfam and the Stockholm Environment Institute. The top 1% were responsible for 15% of emissions, nearly twice as much as the world's poorest 50%, who were responsible for just 7%.

Then there's the elephant in the room -- China. the US attempts to reduce emissions will mean little if developing countries like China keep spewing out more greenhouse gases. Since 2010, China has increased its emissions by 25 percent while the U.S. has reduced GHG emissions by more than any other larger country. China now emits more than the entire developed world put together. Yet as China builds new coal plants (plans for over 1000 new coal plants on the books) to keep their factories humming.
Governments in Europe and America keep putting more and more restrictions on their industries, which drives more production to China, with its notoriously high carbon supply chains and polluted cities.
Due to climate policies, many middle and working class families here and in Europe are facing fuel bill increases of up to 50% this winter.

And Al Gore? He turned a net worth of $1.7 million into a $330 million fortune since leaving the office of VP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2023, 09:15 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,004,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Just a normal change over millions of year dear. Expect a 12ft rise within 70 years for some parts of the globe my man.

Sure….just like when I was in grade school 40 years ago and we were told that the northeastern United States would have the climate of Florida within 20 years….still waiting…

Old 01-09-2023, 04:41 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Sure….just like when I was in grade school 40 years ago and we were told that the northeastern United States would have the climate of Florida within 20 years….still waiting…
Get back with me jack in 70 years and you will c.

Old 01-09-2023, 06:00 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Then there's the elephant in the room -- China. the US attempts to reduce emissions will mean little if developing countries like China keep spewing out more greenhouse gases. Since 2010, China has increased its emissions by 25 percent while the U.S. has reduced GHG emissions by more than any other larger country. China now emits more than the entire developed world put together. Yet as China builds new coal plants (plans for over 1000 new coal plants on the books) to keep their factories humming.
Sunshine, you need better numbers....it's even worse than that

Since 1970 China has increased their CO2 emissions 120%...the USA has not increased it's emission one bit

China now emits 2 1/2 times more CO2 than the USA...and you're right....China is increasing their CO2 emissions as fast as they can

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ederations.png

China has a sea coast, a climate, etc......obviously China does not believe in global warming at all

Old 01-09-2023, 06:17 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
....they always change/reset the start and/or end date, when the old predictions fail. Its called moving the goal posts.

They are getting better at changing the end date to when most reading it will no longer be alive.

I've been watching Florida's coastline for 40 years, & all I see is some erosion in some places (Casey Key, & Boca), and beach replenishment in others (Siesta Key Beach, & Delray). SK beach was not nearly as wide 40 years ago...you never had to walk so far to get to the waters edge....too much beach replenishment is a pain...having to lug all that stuff the distance of a par 4 on a golf course. Siesta Key Beach needs caddy's Delray isnt nearly as bad...Miami Beach got overfilled with sand too.

Old 01-09-2023, 08:38 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
....they always change/reset the start and/or end date, when the old predictions fail. Its called moving the goal posts.
They also cherry pick their dates....

it's not flat.....it goes up and down like a sine wave

you can pick dates projecting a catastrophe or nothing at all

when I first figured that out....I realized it's all a scam

Old 01-09-2023, 10:07 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
No actually you missed my point completely.............that ONE Rolls Royce sitting in a garage most of its life isn't the big gas burner. Sure it doesn't get great mileage BUT it also really doesn't get used like more common vehicles do.
No. You missed my point. The person who hardly drives that Rolls probably has a multitude of vehicles that probably get driven much more, and/or just a short drive to the airport for the private jet or just a quick helicopter ride from home to the airport to get on the private jet.

Again you imply that 'what is good for me (Rolls owner) is not good for thee (retiree with a Ford)' implying that the "thee's" need to get rid of their Fords. but you'll get to keep your rolls, helicopters, jets, etc, while the retirees have to ride public.

when was the last time you were on public transportation?

Old 01-09-2023, 10:08 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Quote:
You'll be dead in 70 years so you're not going to see either. How lame your argument is.

Old 01-09-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
That was pre-ice age. We’ve lost the western 200 miles of Florida since the ice caps started melting.
We must have lost those 200 miles millions of years ago...so who cares? Maybe we gained 200 miles to the East, maybe Florida is still rising out of the ocean in some places but not all, or its rising unevenly, not uniformly. Maybe its all happening so slowly we cant see it, or even measure it.

I don't think most of us care what happened millions of years ago, or what will happen millions of years from now. Nothing any of us does, or don't do, will make any difference. Even climate experts agree, & 1 I read said we'd ALL have to cut our own carbon footprint by 80% to make any difference.

Those who insist what we do matters, then they need to turn off their HVAC systems, sell their cars, stop traveling on planes & cruise liners, stop eating meat, turn off all appliances, stop buying plastics, and Chinese products...ect.

AFTER they do all these things for 5 years, I promise to follow suit.

I'm already recycling, & driving <10,000 miles/yr, fly <1x/yr, took 1 cruise in 50 yrs, had only 1 kid, no dogs, no pool, cut my home size by 1/2, & sold my Porsche, so I'm way ahead of most of the Sea level rise climate change extremists anyways. They need to catch up to me, & quit

Old 01-09-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
True, never got how raising taxes will supposedly solve climate change.
How does restricting U.S. fossil fuel production, but buying it from South America instead, solve climate chg?

We're still burning the same amount, & maybe more, since now we have to transport it from Venezuela to Houston.

The USA's carbon footprint has been shrinking, while China's is up up & away...2.5x more than ours, so why not make China fix it, and leave us alone? We all share the same atmosphere, last I checked, so why not go fix China?

Because its all about power and control over us...it has nothing to do with the environment...we are all onto their sham, & stopped playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida