Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 04:09 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,385 times

Advertisements

The family next door purchased the home back in March. The taxes on the previous owners were about $2500. The new people have a house in the community and bought this one also. He can't sell the other home because he wants way too much for it. His new tax bill comes for his new home next door to me...guess what the taxes are??? $8,500!!!!! WOW!!!! Now that is a reason that the middle class are going to suffer here. Thank goodness we sold our home and will be out of here soon.
I love Florida but it will have to be for vacations from now on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 30,819 times
Default taxes

I agree! Between taxes and hurricane insurance, FL is getting a bit too pricey for the risks we encounter during hurricane season. My tax bill went from 912 last year to 2527 this year. And insurance went from 970 year to 2512 a year!

Old 11-16-2006, 04:24 PM

Default Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmepa View Post
I agree! Between taxes and hurricane insurance, FL is getting a bit too pricey for the risks we encounter during hurricane season. My tax bill went from 912 last year to 2527 this year. And insurance went from 970 year to 2512 a year!
This is why I am telling my kids that they won't be able to live down here when we move. Two of them are staying for now, but I have a feeling that they will be following us up north eventually.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:02 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times
Well people moving here love the taxes or they wouldn't pay so much for their homes.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:44 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
This is why I am telling my kids that they won't be able to live down here when we move. Two of them are staying for now, but I have a feeling that they will be following us up north eventually.

I am moving out of Florida once I save for a downpayment for a house in OH or WV. My parents are staying in FL, they are homesteaded so their taxes are still half reasonable and they own the house free and clear and will cancel their hurricane insurance if it keeps going up. My brother and sister may also decide to settle down in a different state than Florida. My sister wants to be a teacher and if she stays in Florida, shes stuck renting a small apartment(till she marries and if the dual income is even enough for a house!)
Brother might become a lawyer so he could possibily afford a small house or a bigger one if he marries and dual income. In other states, much bigger houses could be had much cheaper. Florida has become the state for the rich(CA has been like that for a while)

Old 11-17-2006, 05:33 AM

243 posts, read 1,097,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post

My family said something like this to my parents when they moved down here from Cleveland in 1972--they'd never make it, there's no industry or jobs there, they don't know anybody down there. Nearly 35 years later and they're still here, and they got more net worth than the rest of the family put together. Also, about half the family eventually ended up moving down to South FL after visiting here a couple times, not just to be closer to my parents and me but to get the heck out of that miserable midwestern weather and their rapidly declining economy.

Last edited by SunnyDog; 11-17-2006 at 05:59 AM..

Old 11-18-2006, 12:08 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,655,552 times
I would have to surrender at least 14,000.00 a year in state income taxes in addition to all the other taxes to live in that bastion of free enterprise ( cough cough ) up north.

Fla is still a WAY better deal.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:39 AM

Well, all I can say is if the guy next door is now paying $8,000 for a 2300 sq. ft. home on 2 lots and his insurance is over $2,000. it's still not worth it at all.
You never know when a hurricane is going to come and destroy your home and then you may just get dropped by your insurance company and be left with nothing.
Up north is the place to be.

Florida is ok to visit but that's about it.
Sorry, that's just the way I feel about this backwards State.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:44 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
I'm reading your posts and feeling your pain. I live in New Jersey. The next time I hear someone complaining about taxes in NJ I'm going to point them to this post. Just when you think you have it the worse. Now I don't feel to bad for us (in NJ), you people are getting it from all sides. The only thing I can do is wish all of you luck! By the way when you say the taxes on a 2300 sq.ft. home are 8K what is the actual market value of that home and where is it located. Is it waterfront property and what is the total size of the two lots. Just curious!

Old 11-21-2006, 11:52 AM

Smile The house was a dump when he bought it and its not on the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I'm reading your posts and feeling your pain. I live in New Jersey. The next time I hear someone complaining about taxes in NJ I'm going to point them to this post. Just when you think you have it the worse. Now I don't feel to bad for us (in NJ), you people are getting it from all sides. The only thing I can do is wish all of you luck! By the way when you say the taxes on a 2300 sq.ft. home are 8K what is the actual market value of that home and where is it located. Is it waterfront property and what is the total size of the two lots. Just curious!
It has about an acre of property with the two lots. It backs up to a greenbelt but that's about it. It's just not worth it. He paid $380,000 for it. What a jerk!!!! It's only worth about $300,000 now.
Jersey is where we are from and before that NY! I would take Jersey over this state anyday. We sold our house and will be out in a few months.
We are moving up to NE Pa. right on the border of North Jersey.
Thank goodness! There's nothing like being near NY and NJ where all the fun stuff is not to mention family and friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida