Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 06:52 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,909,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
This is what I have been talking about. The harbor looks horrible.
The redtide is around more than I would like.
The hurricanes are not fun.
I haven't seen a firefly-ever!
Only saw a dead deer on the side of the road.

What a shame. I loved it here when we moved down 6 1/2 years ago.
What is happening??
Its very sad, red tide was never here when I was a kid.

Last edited by firemed; 11-28-2006 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 07:12 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,574,354 times
Default Not going to NY or NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeny View Post
She says: "As far as Florida being PARADISE, it still is. It's the politics that are destroying this state."

And she's going to NY & NJ!! Good thing the politics in those places so greatly enhance the quality of life. But she'll surely fit right in I Betcha.
Just to let you know, I really don't care what you say!
We are moving back because we WHAT????
MISS THE FAMILY
I love this!!!! LOL

Old 11-28-2006, 07:47 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,909 times
Quote:
I know where I want to be Mr. T.

I thought you were going to move to Pa. also Mr. T? You were mentioning the Hideout, weren't you????
I was talking about buying a SECOND home there. However after seeing what's become of the place we decided we are not interested.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:55 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,989,349 times
Quote:
I haven't seen a firefly-ever!
Only saw a dead deer on the side of the road.
?
Come to Missouri for a short visit in the summer and you'll see deer and a billion fireflies!
I had two does, sometimes three, living on my property this year and they had three fawns between them. I also had a flock of wild turkeys with mama having eight chicks and I watched them grow. We also have turtles, wild hares, opposums, some kind of furry thing that looks like a humongous beaver and I don't know what it is, but he looked at me and I looked at him in the early fall on the deck.
I don't have lightning bug pics, but they come out by the tens of hundreds at night here from about May through September, coming and going in numbers as we go through dry spells. They like it humid and hot at night. Here's my doe pic (I've got tons, but this one I really like. She's staring right at me in the exact middle of the photo:

Old 11-28-2006, 08:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Default Sold!

If they don't mind New England accents, well, then I want to move THERE. You sold me!

Old 11-28-2006, 08:29 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,658,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Come to Missouri for a short visit in the summer and you'll see deer and a billion fireflies!
I had two does, sometimes three, living on my property this year and they had three fawns between them. I also had a flock of wild turkeys with mama having eight chicks and I watched them grow. We also have turtles, wild hares, opposums, some kind of furry thing that looks like a humongous beaver and I don't know what it is, but he looked at me and I looked at him in the early fall on the deck.
I don't have lightning bug pics, but they come out by the tens of hundreds at night here from about May through September, coming and going in numbers as we go through dry spells. They like it humid and hot at night. Here's my doe pic (I've got tons, but this one I really like. She's staring right at me in the exact middle of the photo:
Cool!..........................................

Old 11-29-2006, 11:50 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 433,285 times
Quote:

The family next door purchased the home back in March. The taxes on the previous owners were about $2500. The new people have a house in the community and bought this one also. He can't sell the other home because he wants way too much for it. His new tax bill comes for his new home next door to me...guess what the taxes are??? $8,500!!!!! WOW!!!! Now that is a reason that the middle class are going to suffer here. Thank goodness we sold our home and will be out of here soon.
I love Florida but it will have to be for vacations from now on
Uh HELLOO???? yes, property taxes are extremely high in FL to make up for the no state income tax thing.

Middle class in FL is disappearing. Soon it will be the very rich and the very poor and that is it.

How can anyone keep up with the rising costs (specially homeowner's insurance) and the staggering wages and still pull through?

Exactly... they are forced out of the state!

Welcome to FL. Hope you speak Spanish because if you don't the robbers will be pissed!

Old 11-30-2006, 06:49 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,089,875 times
I agree. Its a state for the rich. Even if you are very poor, theres better locations for you. The poor just tolerate living 3 families to an apartment or mobile home(plenty of them in Florida) but if they moved to a cheaper location, they could easily afford their very own house(will be small and nothing fancy, but still) I guess it doesnt make a difference for the poor, they cant afford much regardless of where they live. The middle class dont want to live like the poor, they want a nice 3/2 house which they cant afford but they know they can if they move out so they do so. To put this in perspective, a 1/1 condo in a questionable area in my neck of the woods(west palm beach) costs $100k to $120k. For half the price, I can get a nice 4 bedroom house with basement and attic in Oil City, PA!

Old 11-30-2006, 07:02 AM

467 posts, read 1,692,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
I agree. Its a state for the rich. Even if you are very poor, theres better locations for you. The poor just tolerate living 3 families to an apartment or mobile home(plenty of them in Florida) but if they moved to a cheaper location, they could easily afford their very own house(will be small and nothing fancy, but still) I guess it doesnt make a difference for the poor, they cant afford much regardless of where they live. The middle class dont want to live like the poor, they want a nice 3/2 house which they cant afford but they know they can if they move out so they do so. To put this in perspective, a 1/1 condo in a questionable area in my neck of the woods(west palm beach) costs $100k to $120k. For half the price, I can get a nice 4 bedroom house with basement and attic in Oil City, PA!
you can also buy a house in camden nj for a dollar.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:22 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,089,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
you can also buy a house in camden nj for a dollar.

Those are auction listings, they sell to the highest bidder. They do have houses(they look like townhouses) as cheap as $10k but they are unlivable and all boarded up. The nice houses are $100k and up. Not a bad price for NJ living but I wonder how bad the crime is! OMG the crime index is 1000! Theres dozens of murders! Only 7% of the residents are white, the rest minorities! Thats the reason why its so cheap, must be the cheapest city in all of NJ! Oil city, PA has a crime index of ~150 which is about half national average with zero murders! 97% are white, almost no minorities. To put it short, avoid Camden!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida