Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 04:52 PM

154 posts, read 679,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Arkansas is not pro KKK and this is much ado about nothing. Please - there's a few nuts everywhere, so somehow we got the dubious honor of having the headquarters here. When is the last time you ever heard of the Klan doing anything? Give it up, folks...the days of the riders are long gone.

Around May 1st, 2006.

In Springdale, Arkansas at Murphy Park. The Hispanic community was holding an organized gathering to honor the 'Day Without Immigrants'. Thomas Robb and a group of klansmen from Harrison also organized a rally in the park that same day.

A few tense moments according to the news but nothing more than verbal attacks broke out. A few arrested if I remember correctly. Springdale police were prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 04:54 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
MODERATOR: Folks, this thread has derailed badly. Let's get it back on track and respond to the OP or I'll need to shut it down. I'm sorry, but this is brought up about every other day.

In the future, all posts regarding anything about Zinc, Harrison in the sense of it being the headquarters for the KKK, the leaders, the ones who say they are KKK and the Who-done-it boys will be deleted as off topic if it isn't the subject of the original poster's question. We can't get to the real meat of things for this coming up all the time. People with questions will be pointed to the search feature - there's plenty 'nuff been said.

If it makes the news, that's one thing...but we're rehashing the same stuff.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 03-31-2008 at 02:08 AM..

Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 AM

32 posts, read 130,557 times
Fayetteville is too "progressive" for me and my family. Now that Rogers has attracted all the major retailers to Benton County, we rarely even need to go to Fayetteville. Once the Target opens, we'll be done with Washington county (except for the occasional Razorback game).

Bentonville, Centerton, Bella Vista is ideal for the family, IMHO.

--jcd

Old 03-30-2008, 11:22 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider93 View Post
Fayetteville is too "progressive" for me and my family. Now that Rogers has attracted all the major retailers to Benton County, we rarely even need to go to Fayetteville. Once the Target opens, we'll be done with Washington county (except for the occasional Razorback game).

Bentonville, Centerton, Bella Vista is ideal for the family, IMHO.

--jcd
Pinnacle Hills Promenade has really shifted the trends in NWA. It is easily the most impressive retail development in the state. It used to be Fayetteville was the dominant town but now Rogers is slowly taking that position. Its a sad thing to see because Fayetteville is where the culture is at.

How is NWA mall holding up? Last I heard a lot of restaurants in that area were struggling, but I haven't heard about the mall itself.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:56 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Pinnacle Hills Promenade has really shifted the trends in NWA. It is easily the most impressive retail development in the state. It used to be Fayetteville was the dominant town but now Rogers is slowly taking that position. Its a sad thing to see because Fayetteville is where the culture is at.

How is NWA mall holding up? Last I heard a lot of restaurants in that area were struggling, but I haven't heard about the mall itself.
The mall is doing ok, but yea some restaurants are having trouble. They just closed Shanghai, my favorite chinese resturaunt in Arkansas I had been going there since i was a small child... I also really dont like the new mall in rogers...an outdoor mall in Arkansas Its too cold in the winter and too hot and humid in the summer lol. No Macy's or Nordstrom or anything like that new to the area, so i really don't see any reason to go there. While i agree Rogers is growing fast, I still find most of the action in the area is in Fayetteville, which i'm very thankful for. As you said its where the culture is at, and is an older community with a lot of character, where rogers is kinda getting what is referred to as the generic sprawly feel.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:08 AM

The family really likes the Promenade - regardless of weather. Generally able to park near the store. At Christmas, the kids and I were shopping for my wife's presents with snow falling outside. It was surprisingly fun. It's a great place for an evening stroll and a Fourbucks coffee

Supposedly, plans are moving forward for a "more upscale" retail center on the other side of 540 around the Embassy Suites. There has been talk of something to rival Rodeo Drive for some time. Sounds silly for Arkansas, but there is a boat load 'o money in these hills.

--jcd

Old 03-31-2008, 08:53 AM

452 posts, read 1,640,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
The mall is doing ok, but yea some restaurants are having trouble. They just closed Shanghai, my favorite chinese resturaunt in Arkansas I had been going there since i was a small child... I also really dont like the new mall in rogers...an outdoor mall in Arkansas Its too cold in the winter and too hot and humid in the summer lol. No Macy's or Nordstrom or anything like that new to the area, so i really don't see any reason to go there. While i agree Rogers is growing fast, I still find most of the action in the area is in Fayetteville, which i'm very thankful for. As you said its where the culture is at, and is an older community with a lot of character, where rogers is kinda getting what is referred to as the generic sprawly feel.

Rogers/Bentonville have absolutely no character IMO, it could be any suburb of any city. Fayetteville is still the flagship town of the area, it has REAL culture etc and will still be an ecletic charming town once Rogers and Bentonville have turned into the next Ghetto concrete jungle like Springdale.................

Old 03-31-2008, 10:36 AM

Guess it depends on one's definition of character - or at least the character that is attractive to one.

Fayetteville definitely has character and a "vibe." However, the cutting edge art scene, university mindset, and bar-centric culture is not all that attractive to me and mine. Nothing wrong with that, just different strokes for different folks.

The character of Bentonville is much smaller and quieter. Small shops (coffee and otherwise) around the square where the most hectic event during a Friday evening stroll is which impromptu bluegrass group to listen to - that's the ticket for some of us. The art museum that is being built will be a great addition to the pace of life up here - more retrospective than post-modern.

+1 on Springdale. Though I wouldn't throw Bentonville's future in that category, "old" Rogers is headed in that direction.

Bottom line, all of this discussion speaks to the great diversity of NWA along a 20 mile stretch of interstate.

--jcd

Old 03-31-2008, 11:02 AM

452 posts, read 1,640,200 times
true true.........................

Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 18,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I'm curious why you didn't add Fayetteville to your list? We haven't checked the area out ourselves, but on paper, Fayetteville is the place we were most interested in, as it's a college town. Did you see it and not like it or just ruled it out? We have a child too, so I am always curious how other families choose where to live. Thanks.
I always preferred Fayetteville, but for me it is more out of familiarity. I spent a lot of time over the years taking my kids to the parks, which I love because of the rubbery ground under the toys (safety first). The college is great, but traffic gets real bad during games on 6th street and razorback road. I would recommend avoiding those areas during those times.

I haven't found better doctors than the Northwest Arkansas Pediatric Clinic, that is one of the main reasons I stay in Arkansas. Public transportation is available for free with razorback transit, and covers most of the town.

My comparison is based on experiences from living in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Texas over the past 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers