Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:49 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,039,437 times

Advertisements

As much as I hate to ask this, when did most of you ladies start using a facial moisturizer? Im 23.

Currently I dont really do anything other than use some lotion on my face when its feeling a bit dry (which isnt often).
I spoke with someone at Sephora, and the lady was surprised that I just used hand lotion when needed. Im not interested in using something expensive ($20 for a jar of lotion is expensive).

Im fair skinned, and try to stay out of the sun (when Im in the sun I have a big floppy hat/sunglasses)

What say you, ladies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,497,953 times
I have dry skin so I'm thinking I was in my 20s. I just used regular Oil of Olay with SPF in it. Now I'm older and live in a very dry climate so I use lots LOL but still the Olay products work just fine for me.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,754,151 times
I didn't moisturize regularly until recently. I am 36. I guess I could have benefited from using fancier products on my skin, but I'm reasonably satisfied with how I turned out.

A lot depends on your skin, your genes, what you put on your face, whether you use sunscreen, how much you frown and laugh, your climate, the amount of air pollution in your area, what you eat, whether you smoke ... you get the picture.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:22 PM

137 posts, read 467,171 times
Lotion with SPF ever since I was in 8th grade, now at an older age, I look to be a lot younger. I have my 10 year old using Lubriderm body lotion with SPF and it seems to do okay on her face too. The damage you do now will show in 10 years. If you have fair skin you would do well with wearing SPF lotion daily. Neutrogena is pretty reasonable and they have Helioplex which blocks UVA (aging) and UVB (burning) rays, it is a little less than 20 dollars but usually lasts me a month to a month and a half for my face and I like Euricin SPF lotion for my body. The number one factor in aging, hands down, is sun exposure-- everyone is exposed to it. Poeple make the mistake of thinking, no sunburns mean no exposure but you cannot see the UVA damage for years. Yes smoking, pollution and genetics play into it but if you can keep those UVA rays away, you will be winning half the battle.

Last edited by VALGAL222; 05-05-2010 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: spell checker on the fritz

Old 05-05-2010, 08:35 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,415,792 times
I think I may have started back in jr high. (I'm in my mid 30s now.) My main purpose for using it back then was to help with my makeup application.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,267,188 times
My mom taught me to use moisturizer before I applied my makeup and at night when I take the makeup off. She let me start wearing makeup when I was 13. I think it's paid off.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:57 PM

294 posts, read 1,108,311 times
I have very dry skin, so I use it at morning and night. And lots of products don't work for me, so I do have to pay a little extra for something very moisturizing. I'm 27. it does depend on your skin type, environment, etc. If your hand lotion is doing the job, don't be suckered into spending money at Sephora. If you think that you really want to use something, just get a basic Olay or Loreal moisturizer at CVS.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:11 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,651,434 times
I have dry and sensitive skin so I started to use moisturiser from a very early age. My proper first face cream was bought by my Grand-Mother when I was about 12 I think but I was putting dry skin lotion on my face before that.

My Grand-Mother moisturised all her life and her skin was the most amazing and soft. I always find my face feels very tight if I don't use anything. Moisturising seems to work though as people never believe I am in my early 40s because my skin looks so smooth .

I don't go blotchy at all, thank goodness but I do get dry patches so I really have to look after after my skin very carefully.

However the best thing I have found to keep my skin soft is rain water. I am always amazed how lovely and peachy my skin is after a rainstorm. I am considering putting a container in my garden to catch it !! Argan oil is also amazing for the skin.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:31 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,382,278 times
I started using facial moisturizer when I started college. First used Merle Norman because that's what everyone in the dorm used. Then started using Clinique, which I used for several years. Then on to Mary Kay and Aloe. Currently using both Dr. Denese and Dr. Perricone. I especially believe that Dr. Denese's Hydroshield is the best product that I have ever used. I think that spending a little extra money for quality products has worked for me. I have absolutely no lines on my forehead and very few around my eyes. Moisturizers are not miracle workers but at my old age, I always get compliments on my skin.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:25 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,567,049 times
15 maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty