Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 01:34 AM

40 posts, read 116,536 times

Advertisements

I started using a moisturizer at the age of 25. My mom told me to start taking care of my skin at that age. She handed me a bottle of Oil of Olay and I have been moisturizing ever sense. Believe it, or not...to this day I do not have wrinkles and I am approaching 6 decades. Wrinkles come from dry skin and loss of collagen. When you moisturize, you take care of the dry skin. It really, really works, people. I am a living testament...so moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. You can do it really cheap by putting a very, very thin amount of vaseline under your eyes before you go to bed. A really good day moisturizer, under your foundation, if you use it, is AmLactin 12%. I use it everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 03:27 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
As much as I hate to ask this, when did most of you ladies start using a facial moisturizer? Im 23.

Currently I dont really do anything other than use some lotion on my face when its feeling a bit dry (which isnt often).
I spoke with someone at Sephora, and the lady was surprised that I just used hand lotion when needed. Im not interested in using something expensive ($20 for a jar of lotion is expensive).

Im fair skinned, and try to stay out of the sun (when Im in the sun I have a big floppy hat/sunglasses)

What say you, ladies?
I started using face lotion when I was a teenager.
Im 40 my oldest son is 21. When we are togegether they think we are a couple. Some dont believe im that old.
Start now the sooner the better and when you get older you'll be happy you did.
I only pay around $5 I buy the store brand face lotion at walmart and it works for me
Here is another inexpensive tip I learned a longtime ago
Vaseline rubbed on your face right after is washed and still wet, helps seal in the moisture. I do that once in awhile before I go to bed.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:57 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,545,105 times
You may not think you need it at 23 but I would highly recommend starting to use both a facial moisturizer and an eye cream every day. Wrinkles sneak up on you very quickly, especially in the eye area, so it's best to get a head start on them. As I'm sure most of the ladies in here can tell you, it's much easier to prevent them at an early age than to try to get rid of them once you've got them!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I did not start at all until the 30s...maybe a few dry skin spells in the late 20s? Wrinkles come mostly from sun damage, nutritional issues and genetics. Not everyone needs lotion on the face so you can't really use them too late. Protecting your skin from damage from sun, poor health or chemicals can be a "too late" issue.

What Causes Wrinkles

"UVA or UVB, from sunlight accounts for 90% of the symptoms of premature skin aging. Most of the photoaging effects occur by age 20."

I used chemical laden products and my skin seemed to get addicted to them. I do think the damage caused by them is kinda a built in addicted consumer. I am back to manual/natural acid exfoliation and natural oils/creams. My skin seems happier with it. Dietary wise taking some vitamin e also improved the texture and oil balance. Its so nice to be able to skip the moisture step every other day or so now.

I think if you smoke you are going to have a hard time keeping your skin nice. I can't believe how much brighter peoples skin get after they quit. Its almost scary.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:48 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

I used chemical laden products and my skin seemed to get addicted to them.
I think if you smoke you are going to have a hard time keeping your skin nice. I can't believe how much brighter peoples skin get after they quit. Its almost scary.
I dont really wear makeup or the typical chemical laden stuff at all. Most I'll use in a special occasion is eyeshadow/mascara/ tinted lip balm. Thats it. And you have to either be a hot date/special occasion/both to get me to even do that.

And no, not a smoker at all. Dont go to bars (yes, Im 23 years old and dont drink/party). I dont do tanning beds (If you look at my picture you ca see they wouldnt work anyway lol) and dont/cant drink soft drinks (Was told the chemicals in them are bad for your skin too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjuel View Post
You may not think you need it at 23 but I would highly recommend starting to use both a facial moisturizer and an eye cream every day. !
Oh, Im aware that I probably do. Does wearing sunglasses almost all the time help with the eyes too?

Old 05-27-2010, 04:53 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
As much as I hate to ask this, when did most of you ladies start using a facial moisturizer? Im 23.

Currently I dont really do anything other than use some lotion on my face when its feeling a bit dry (which isnt often).
I spoke with someone at Sephora, and the lady was surprised that I just used hand lotion when needed. Im not interested in using something expensive ($20 for a jar of lotion is expensive).

Im fair skinned, and try to stay out of the sun (when Im in the sun I have a big floppy hat/sunglasses)

What say you, ladies?
I was probably 25. I think it's time.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:23 AM

43 posts, read 86,628 times
20s

Old 05-28-2010, 05:26 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,734,914 times
I began using moisturizer as a young teen; I think I started with basic Neutrogena. My mom preached the importance of a good skincare system from a young age.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:37 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,608 times
I started using moisturizer a couple of years ago at 16.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:09 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
Quote:
Does wearing sunglasses almost all the time help with the eyes too?
Yes. Sunglasses can help protect your eyes from cataracts forming and other problems as you age. And with those little wrinkle lines from squinting in the sun.

Also, I'm another Olay user here. Started about your age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty