Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: guys wear nail polish are...
gay 26 59.09%
creative 7 15.91%
metrosexual 2 4.55%
confused 8 18.18%
sexy 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:15 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,276 times

Advertisements

It's pretty common here in NYC, it's not really an indicator of one's sexual orientation just a preference IMO. No reason why women have to corner the market on having interesting colored nails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 10:46 AM

50 posts, read 30,560 times
I do not recall whether I have commented on this thread before, and I find it somewhat interesting that it has re-emerged at the same time as a thread about men wearing Birkenstocks and other sandals is running.

I am an older guy, and I often wear color on my toes with sandals.

Trash me as you wish, but here’s the story. A couple of years ago, I had a chronic ingrown nail on one of my big toes treated, resulting in the loss of that toenail. I also am “blessed” with Morton’s toes, where my second toes extend beyond the first big toes. The middle-aged woman podiatrist who treated me warned me that I would likely loose the big toenail, and upon looking at my other toes, recommended that I wear sandals or other open-toe shoes as much as possible. Then, further discussing the loss of the nail and the slightly deformed nails on the second toes, she suggested that I could get an artificial nail and paint them to make them look better, saying something to the effect that “that’s a thing now for guys to do that” and adding that she personally liked the look. Hmmm... I was already getting pedis for General foot health, so the next time I went for a pedi, I asked my nail tech if she had heard of men wearing color. She replied enthusiastically that yes, she did that for other male clients, and suggested we give it a try. I did, I liked the look much better than the bare and Missing nail appearance.

So I now wear color regularly and like the look. And, just for the record, I’m as straight as they come. My preferences are the darker colors. I did try pink briefly but did not like the look and took it off.

So there you have it - wearing color polish with sandals and no reticence or concerns.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:57 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
It's pretty common here in NYC, it's not really an indicator of one's sexual orientation just a preference IMO. No reason why women have to corner the market on having interesting colored nails.

I think this is the main thing. Lots of modes and customs are regional things. What seems the norm in NYC (for instance) would NOT be the norm in OKC.

Some cities have basically seen it all and nothing raises an eyebrow. Little towns off the beaten path might be gobsmacked and stare slack jawed at a guy wearing pink nail polish. Seems like everyone eventually adjusts.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:35 AM

19,622 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think this is the main thing. Lots of modes and customs are regional things. What seems the norm in NYC (for instance) would NOT be the norm in OKC.

Some cities have basically seen it all and nothing raises an eyebrow. Little towns off the beaten path might be gobsmacked and stare slack jawed at a guy wearing pink nail polish. Seems like everyone eventually adjusts.
Nah, we'd just think they're gay.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:16 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Nah, we'd just think they're gay.
And they'd think you were provincial.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:14 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

True, I guess population density helps a lot too. If you stopped here to stare at everyone/everything that seemed to be outside the norm, you'd have that as a full-time job. So eventually what's weird one place, isn't so much the other, different strokes and all.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:40 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
I am a guy with zero interest in painting my fingernails or toenails.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:48 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
It seems to be a lot more common with fingernails. I would say that it mostly falls into 3 categories:
Gay
Pulling pranks
Went with their girlfriend

Old 03-13-2023, 03:38 AM

8 posts, read 2,480 times
I have been polishing my toes nails for about a year now. I mostly use deep purples but just bought a deep red color.
I also wear 3 toe rings and love they way they look with polished nails.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:32 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
I've let my daughter paint a few of my nails before. Don't particularly care what anyone thinks about me. I'm old enough and secure in who I am to not let a guys with painted nails bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty