Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:06 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB View Post
I think they are ugly as hell. I also don't love flip flops unless you're at the beach. How about boat shoes or something else?

Meeting someone wearing Birkenstocks makes me take a big pause....

A female in them makes me think ....she must not care about being female and the word feminine is not in her vocabulary or lifestyle.

Anyhow ... wear what you want. Look in the mirror before you leave
Haha, wow.

I'm a shameless Birkenstock wearer in the Summer. They are my shoe of choice and the fact that they can be purchased in narrow width is great, and the arch support means I can wear them for hours. I also wear Chacos so I'm probably beyond help for this forum. Fortunately caring what other people think of this is not in my vocabulary or lifestyle, so it works out well. To those who haven't tried these sandals (regardless of gender), I say go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 10:12 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
A female friend suggested that I buy some. She said they look better than leather flip flops. I'm not so sure I'm sold on them though. They are pretty expensive.
Your thread title sounds as though you didn't know that men wear Birks. Did you think they were mostly for women?

THey're expensive, because they last forever. You can get them resoled. I have a couple of pair I've had for 15 years. THey've gotten more expensive the last few years, for sure, but you can get them on sale, or you can track down vendors in Germany, where they're often half the price of what they sell for in the US. There must be a major import tax on them for retailers, or something.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:17 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
Haha, wow.

I'm a shameless Birkenstock wearer in the Summer. They are my shoe of choice and the fact that they can be purchased in narrow width is great, and the arch support means I can wear them for hours. I also wear Chacos so I'm probably beyond help for this forum. Fortunately caring what other people think of this is not in my vocabulary or lifestyle, so it works out well. To those who haven't tried these sandals (regardless of gender), I say go for it.
This. I wear them because I have to; I have podiatry issues, and my podiatrist's lab can customize the footbed for my orthotic needs. I know some of them look clunky, so I try to choose styles that look more like a regular sandal, or else I get ones in cool prints, like a Hawaiian motif, or an Asian floral theme. I try to make the best of being stuck with "non-feminine" shoes.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:47 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Only with socks.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:33 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,373,730 times
Sorry I find them highly unattractive on a man or woman, but I’m not the one wearing them... you do you.. I couldn’t even get myself to wear an ugly comfortable orthopedic shoe when I broke my foot, so I don’t always think logically when it comes to footwear. I do not prioritize mainly on comfort, unless I’m wearing slippers at home.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:53 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,366,656 times
Hard pass.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Birks are ugly. But they are supportive and comfortable. And they last forever. Flip flops are not good for daily wear. As long as your feet are well groomed, wear what you want!

Old 06-03-2019, 12:33 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
If you don't like them, don't get them. But I would suggest Keen sandals as a popular alternative - much better shoe than flip-flops.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:46 PM

999 posts, read 553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Feminine is an attitude, not a dress code.
Exactly. It always amazes me to see some of the judgmental people who hang out on this forum. Judging people based on footwear? Really?

Sorry but that's beyond shallow.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:49 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Well, I guess I got put in my place by the first responding poster. BUT I live in Florida. I wear sandals, flip flops, and sandal type wedge shoes almost everywhere or no shoes at all. Birkenstocks are comfortable. You can run in them if need be. You can wear them all day in a theme park without getting stinky feet and you won't be sloshing around in wet tennis shoes in the rain or after a water ride gets your shoes wet. My son works in recreation and he wears them because they wear well-even if you have to jump in the water without removing them when someone is drowning.

Of course for work I wear appropriate shoes but you won't find me wearing real shoes anywhere else-not even to church.

To the OP try some and go with them. Who cares what someone without an active outdoor life style thinks. Personally, I think men can look sexy in them when they are wearing shorts and have legs like Tom Selleck had when he was on Magnum PI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty