Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 03:10 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,243,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'd love to see a photo of this 80-year-old. I'm almost 50 and look it, but if I told people I was 80, I would expect them to laugh in my face because there is no way someone who looks like me could actually be 80.
Well, I'm not going to post a pic of my cousin on here (born in 1943, so she is 76). But, she does look like she is in her 40s. Perhaps closer to 50 than 40. Full head of black, soft hair, no wrinkles, and no turkey neck. She is tall and has a plump face, but not fat. Just zaftig. Her husband, who was kind of a hippie dude back in the 1960s, looks like an old man now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 03:20 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,243,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
This usually comes up if I make a reference to my high school years or military service, where world events of the time clearly define how old I must have been (for example, if I mention that I was in high school when the "Challenger" disaster happened, that very firmly places me as a teenager during the 1980's.) Independent of my sister, most people seem to place my age at about 35.
Me too LOLZ -- was a junior in high school when the Challenger went down. I'll let you do the math.

Anyhow, still no wrinkles. Not by my eyes nor by my mouth. Full head of (still un-dyed) hair. Just lucky I guess. People usually guess between 36 and 42.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:13 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,407,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So this whole thing about getting carded means nothing. My dad was carded at 65 years old. And he looked 65 years old. I get carded sometimes, and I look nothing like 20 anymore.
I get ecstatic when I don't get carded. It happens very rarely. The only place I don't get carded @ is the liquor store on the corner b/c I go there so much

I get carded for the movies. @ 37. It's sad, lol.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:59 PM

10,622 posts, read 12,165,364 times
Quote:
So are you saying you're 37, and could pass for 17?
I'd have to see you in person to believe that.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:59 PM

11,656 posts, read 12,740,635 times
I don't think the people who work in retail who ask to see your ID is an accurate reflection of how people perceive your age. To a kid, anyone over 35 is old. Once, I accompanied my friend who was 42 at the time to the movies. She had salt and pepper hair. The kid who sold the tickets gave her a senior discount. He was not corrected. It happened to me too in a Dunkin Donuts where I was charged the senior discount on Wednesdays even though I wasn't anywhere close to being a senior citizen at the time. It's usually kids working behind the counter who have no idea about age and who don't really care.

Stores that sell alcohol or cough medicine often have a sign stating that they will ask anyone under 50 for ID even if it seems obvious that the customer is over 21.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:11 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,786,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I get ecstatic when I don't get carded. It happens very rarely. The only place I don't get carded @ is the liquor store on the corner b/c I go there so much

I got carded a couple weeks ago.... when I was buying cough medicine.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:56 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
So are you saying you're 37, and could pass for 17?
I'd have to see you in person to believe that.
No, that is not at all what she/he is saying. I made a comment that many people get carded, even though they are over 60 years old. That doesn't mean they look 20. That just mean the clerk is covering his or her ass. So Jdawg8181 was just responding to me.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:36 PM

10,594 posts, read 7,816,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I just don't think it's possible minus the hair dye, makeup, and surgeries.
Better add them in though, because many people utilize some or all of the above.

Hard to say what a 40, 50, 60 year old is supposed to look like these days, so I suppose it's entirely possible.

Regarding photos, they can be quite misleading. Best to see someone in the flesh to get a reading on their relative youth/health.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:14 PM

372 posts, read 221,253 times
A friend in my mens group died 2 weeks ago,

He had his son and daughter in law living with him. He went home, went to bed and died.

A shortish, wiry guy ,few wrinkles and dark brown hair which didn't look dyed. Vey active. Every year he went the US to play in a senior's base ball tournament. I thought he was in his early 60's ,maybe as much as 64. He was 81.

I don't know about myself. I don't look 71 to me, and remain a very young man inside. Various people have told me I don't look my age, but I suspect they were just being polite.

I guess it may be true that "inside every old person there is is a young person wondering what the hell happened" (anon) I tell you true, you're a young person. You blink, and you ain't.

Best age? Happy with my current age, as long as I'm healthy and dementia doesn't kick in.

As for 'miracles" of apparent youth; have never seen one of which I'm aware

Old 04-08-2019, 09:50 PM

11,656 posts, read 12,740,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
No, that is not at all what she/he is saying. I made a comment that many people get carded, even though they are over 60 years old. That doesn't mean they look 20. That just mean the clerk is covering his or her ass. So Jdawg8181 was just responding to me.
Many stores have that policy. They ask for ID for everyone. One time, while I was online at the register, the cashier apologized to the person ahead of me, explaining this policy and asked for the customer's ID. The woman behind me, exclaimed, "please card me too, I want to tell my husband that I was carded." She was obviously way past age 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty