Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 08:07 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,233,661 times

Advertisements

So there's this ongoing thread in the Work and Employment section where a male poster who is 62 claims he is repeatedly mistaken to be 25-30 from various sources. He also mentioned that he's seen an older man in his seventies that looks to be in his forties.

Me personally I've never met anyone who could pass off for 20 years younger, let alone more. 10-15 years maybe but that's not too many. I just don't think it's possible minus the hair dye, makeup, and surgeries. I think there's some people who look great for their age but their face doesn't hid the lines and wrinkles.

Do you think it's possible to look 20+ years younger than your age? How many people have you seen in your lifetime that fits in that category?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 09:17 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,184,726 times
I've seen 70+ that could pass for younger by that much. I've seen people in their late 30's or early 40's that could pass for twenty years younger. But you're suggesting someone in their sixties thinks they could pass for twenties or thirties? I doubt that very much.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
When I was on my way to the OB/Gyn for a follow up after the birth of my first kid, in 1973, I remember being called out, "hit on" by high school boys hanging out the window of their bus. I was 27, I guess. After the birth of my second, when I would have been 29, I was carded. So, I did look younger than I was. When I retired at 60, a few people expressed surprise at my age. But I was never suspected of being 50 or 40 years younger than I was. (I now definitely look my age, by the way.)

I really can't say that I've ever known anyone who could pass for decades younger. There are so many ways to ascertain age. One is by how we move. Another is body mass. Many younger folks are quite thin, and they also often have luxuriously thick hair. Most of us, as we age, become less lean, and our hair thins even before age 40. And we move differently as well. There is often a sense of pent up energy in young men, that you don't see in older guys.

I am skeptical of anyone passing for very much younger than their actual age. I do think that people tend to think they look younger than their age, whether or not they really do.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:06 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,465,534 times
Everyone I come across thinks they look younger than they are. To me, some look healthy and more polished than a rougher unhealthy person of their age, but they generally look their age. There are physiological aspects of aging that is common to all beings - humans and animals alike. People who have great genetics, good health habits, dress nicely are going to age differently than someone who smokes or trashes their health but all still age. Every person ages. Folks today tend to dress and style themselves more modernly than our grandparents did at the same age. We have medical advances and plastic surgery. I would say we all look our age with variations. That would be more accurate. I know there are some articles about telomeres and chronological age and all that and these generally point to lifestyle choices to optimize this - but all those aspects to some degree or another should be apparent in every generation in every time period.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:51 AM

922 posts, read 793,894 times
A woman friend from my church is 77, but she looks like late 50's if that. Her skin is beautiful and wrinkle free. I couldn't believe it when she told me her age.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:21 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,021,886 times
I have a niece who is in her mid thirties and works with middle schoolers on several different campuses.

She's constantly mistaken for a middle school student, and asked for her hall pass, what are you doing in the teacher's lounge, etc. even though she is wearing a teacher's name lanyard.

I have a nephew, also mid-30's, who is an ordained minister who looks like a high school student, and actively tries to look older with conservative hair cuts, conservative "older" clothing, and nope. He still looks like a junior in high school.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:48 AM

17,550 posts, read 39,181,819 times
I don't think it's possible for someone in their 60s to look 20s or 30s - come on, now!

But it is definitely possible for certain people to look as much as 15 years younger than they are. As another poster mentioned, it's part genetics, lifestyle, health, wealth and attitude. If one has good posture and moves well and with energy, this alone can make one appear younger. I know several people, who when I met them for the first time thought they were WAY younger than they are. And sadly, the converse is also true for some.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:17 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,883,094 times
I have seen/known some black ladies who were late 60s and early 70s and one 74 y/o white lady who easily appeared to be 55 max.

The white lady was tall, slender, had dark natural hair, wavy and abundant but cut short and stylishly, NO MAKEUP. I used to run into her when walking my dog (she'd be out walking) and after speaking a few times I learned her real age I was floored. She had gorgeous bone structure and pale skin.

Two black ladies come to mind, both stunners as well as looking to be no more than 50-55 max and 48 would not be stretch. I guessed them at that age range. One blew me away when she stated she has a son "who is 50" .

A white gal aged 38 I know who has SEVEN KIDS but is a size three, beautiful face, tomboyish but long gorgeous hair, no makeup, looks around 22 to me.

These few come immediately to mind but I have seen gals in 50s who look in 30s, many are black a few Hispanic.

Interestingly none of the gals abovementioned were homely. All had lovely bones and features.
I cannot recall ever seeing a homely gal who looked far younger.

For perspective: I'm a 55 y/o white female who looks 55. I have kids aged 19-36.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 04-02-2019 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-02-2019, 10:51 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,465,534 times
Beautiful people have an advantage with their bone and genetic structure. The facial bone structure disintegrating is part of the aging process. People with great bone structure have the advantage of a great foundation (holds up the skin and maintains the features) to maintain a good appearance well into aging. My great aunt was in her 80s and had amazing bone structure and did not look typical of people that age. But she still aged. She aged well.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:03 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,258,994 times
Lol. No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty