Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 05:52 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,327,983 times

Advertisements

I turned 64 in December and I am regularly mistaken for someone around 50-55. I keep myself trim and dress fashionable but not too trendy. My hair color is not too dark (a big mistake older people make is not lightening their hair a little as they age) and the hair style is current. Unfortunately since I lost about 40 pounds in the last 3 years I'm noticing a few more lines around my mouth and a little sagging in the neck. The skin doesn't bounce back as much as when you are younger. I'm hoping for a mini facelift and neck tightening in the next year or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 06:32 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Right. That's what they are doing. Covering their ass. I thought if there is any doubt a customer is under 40, you might get carded. Doesn't mean the clerk think you look 20.lol

Old 04-03-2019, 07:15 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
So this whole thing about getting carded means nothing. My dad was carded at 65 years old. And he looked 65 years old. I get carded sometimes, and I look nothing like 20 anymore.
Yep. It's not some badge of honor.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:19 AM

17,541 posts, read 39,160,131 times
These days, most major stores will just card everyone even if you are 90.

Again, some people just look better than others for whatever age they are. You can still USUALLY tell about what age bracket they are in. I am 69, no one will mistake me for college student (lol). But I do get people who routinely think I am mid to late 50s. I chalk it up to genetics (I am half Spanish), healthy lifestyle (lots of exercise and plenty of water) and a happy and grateful attitude. And for the record, I don't really care about trying to look young - I never lie about my age, and I don't do "procedures" and I don't even wear much makeup. My hair is also natural (it's now thinner and mostly silver) I am just happy to be alive and healthy.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:43 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,133,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
well, i agree with the above posters that most of it is genetic.
the ones i have met who fit into the "much younger looking" are Asian and Black.
of course, there are the modern miracles of medicine and surgery which can approximate the advantages of genetics.
Asians do have the edge on looking young, when living in LA, there was more than one Japanese lady who had fabulous skin and looked many years younger than her age, As far as modern miracles of aging, I recently saw Lisa Rinna on Bravo. She was a guest on Andy Cohen’s show and since I hadn’t watched RHOBH in awhile, was shocked at how bad she looked. I always thought she was so pretty, but her lips were way too large and her face was puffy and full of fillers. She looked like a caricature of herself. With her money, she could do much better. If that’s a miracle, you can have it.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:00 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
So I'm in the hospital and a man dressed in a coat and tie walks in, looks at me, says, "Excuse me" and walks out. He returns a few minutes later and introduces himself as the gastroenterologist who is consulting with my GP. He apologizes for the previous encounter and tells me that he was expecting an 80 year old patient and since I looked 60, he thought he was in the wrong room and went to check at the nurse's station. I laughed.

Six months later, I'm at the ophthalmologist. We had never met. After the tech did her exam, Dr. breezes in and sits down. While examining my eyes, he says, "So you're 80?" I said, "Yes, I am." Then he says, "Are you sure? You look more like 60."

Now I don't think I look young for my age and I certainly don't feel like it, but who can argue with medical science? LOL

Old 04-03-2019, 11:17 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,419,357 times
Yes!

I'm 71 now but more often thought to be younger not older than my age.

My wife and her mom looked 20+ years younger than their ages. MIL was frequently flirted with by all age men. I recall one waiter asking me what my wife and daughter wanted. My tip to him don't insult the one paying the bill!

Old 04-03-2019, 12:14 PM

1,347 posts, read 946,623 times
There is so much variance in how different people of the same age look these days, I don't even know what a typical ##-year old even looks like anymore.

Also, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but by the time you are 65+, I can't tell if you are 60 or 90. Maybe I will have a better sense for it when I am closer to that age bracket.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:24 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
I wouldn’t want to look 20 years younger. I’d look like a flat chested, braces wearing 10 year old. Been there... done that! 😂

Old 04-03-2019, 03:38 PM

5,455 posts, read 4,060,534 times
I have an acquaintance that I thought was about 50 - turns out she is 70!! I was gobsmacked when she told me. She not only looks young, she acts young (in a good way).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty