Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:15 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times

Advertisements

I frequently wear dresses because I can put on one thing and be dressed. I am wearing a lightweight denim dress with very pretty embroidery around the neck and cleavage. It takes me 20 seconds to get dressed and I get compliments on this dress all the time. It's funny, when you wear a dress, people often think you are getting fancy or going somewhere. "Ooh, what are you getting dressed up for?" I believe Jade had noted this too in another thread.

I have long legs, but my lower legs are kind of short. My mother is 5'7" and our knees are the same height off the ground (I am five inches taller). Skirts that hit me at the knee make me look shorter, and skirts that are much above the knee make me extremely nervous in a breeze. And when you're as tall as I am, most skirts hit me above the knee. A sedate little A-line on someone 5'4" looks very different on me. I prefer long skirts. The dress I am wearing now hits me at the ankle; I don't know how short girls are supposed to wear it at all. I also got two spider bites on my right shin while camping this summer, and they are still fading. Knowing my skin, I will have the scars probably for the next several months, and I already have a purple scar there from a few years ago. Mosquitoes love me too. So I like long skirts and dresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Not all women will look good in something like this
A dress that is short enough to show our crotch, worn with no bra? Alas, yes, most of us cannot wear that and do not desire to either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 09:34 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,028 times
From what I've seen around here, many women do not wear skirts and/or dresses, even the ones who are in shape. I've been slim and overweight. I still preferred to wear skirts/dresses when I was heavier for a few reasons:

1) I feel most feminine and more beautiful in them. They are daytime dressy and appropriate for work. Pants makes me feel different. It's usually a "I don't care how I look today" kind of difference.
2) I had gotten so big that I got chafing in my inner thighs, which caused my pants to tear. That's when I knew I needed to change because that's never happened to me before.
3) 99% of the time, I would need to get pants hemmed as I am barely 5 ft.

Now that I am in better shape, I can wear almost anything. (Anything that covers my least favorite body parts, so bikinis are still out.)

Last edited by AhRainess; 10-07-2015 at 09:53 AM..

Old 10-07-2015, 09:38 AM

983 posts, read 1,054,837 times
A kitten heel. Uh huh. Sounds like it would be great for sloshing through puddles or carrying/splitting firewood./sarcasm

Seriously, I only wear athletic style shoes - running shoes or hiking shoes. Thats all. Ever. Nothing else works for my country life.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:38 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
Everyone has their own taste. Just like you may not like the color blue. Why? It's your preference. Our uniqueness is what makes the world go round.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
5. Heels are a pain, and finding comfortable ones that also look good take time and effort. Yes you can wear flats with a dress or skirt but not all dresses or skirts look good with flats.
I never wear heels. All the dresses I wear look perfectly fine with flats or sandals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Can't stand dresses or skirts! I live in a region of the country where we get weather. Nothing like wearing a dress in a blizzard and cleaning your car off....nothing like having to run through a parking lot when it's pouring rain out and rain is splashing up your skirt! Yeah no thanks
In the winter I wear fleece lined tights that are much warmer then any of the pants I own. On raining days, I much prefer wearing a dress or skirt since pants are more likely to get wet on the bottom and stay wet all day.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:03 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,836 times
I've always been a bit of a tomboy although was never into sports. Like others mentioned, skirts/dresses make me feel exposed. I don't want to deal with having to sitting a certain way to avoid showing off my underwear or having to worry about my boobs flashing to others. And in the cold, wintry months of Michigan, wearing a dress/skirt isn't practical in keeping warm.

I only wear them if the social obligation calls for formal wear.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:51 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,448,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I find it ironic that women, who are often (but not always) less physical than men, have been expected to wear clothes that increases their vulnerability. High heels make them less able to run, purses are easy for thieves to grab, skirts make it easier for rapists...By wearing "active" clothes and by not carrying a purse, I feel like I have leveled the playing field a bit!
Great post!

Old 10-07-2015, 08:25 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood12 View Post
While they seem to be in the minority I have heard from a number of women they can't stand wearing a skirt or a dress at all. Just curious what some reasons may be? I do remember a friend awhile back tried on a dress after many years of not wearing one and she said she felt weird and uncomfortable.
I hate them. I don't like all the fabric, the way they move and brush my legs. Or, having to sit certain ways, or remember to get longer ones out of the way of my car doors etc.
Pants, shorts and even skorts are more practical for me.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:41 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,022 times
I like dresses but only certain ones. I do better with bodycon dresses and mini dresses since im short-they tend to emphasize my hip to waist ratio, show off my legs and give me an overall feminine look. But in the work place they are too short to wear. I don't like the dress that jade posted. I've tried that style and it isn't flattering for me, I have very wide hips and small waist but for some reason perhaps because I'm short the way those dresses flounce out often cause me to look wider and frumpy. They also don't match my style and personality-I've never been into fit and flare dresses or flouncy dresses my personality is more edgey and perhaps more similar to Rihanna(but mildly more conservative) or a dressy posh type of look. Heels are a must. I hate flats. I don't like my calves very much so I avoid knee length dresses that call attention to them. All in all I like long form fitting dresses, or mini long fitting dresses. Skirts don't look right on me ever. So I don't wear skirts. I prefer pants at the work place or a form fitting casual dress that is a couple of inches above my knee. I do find dresses to make me feel vulnerable more often than not. But I don't mind them in the right environment.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:47 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I think the biggest reason is due to being self conscious of their body, you know, have body/image issues.

I believe the ones who say they "arent comfortable" are saying that because they dont want to come out and say the real reason which is "I am too self conscious of my body to wear skirts/dresses".

My wife rarely wears skirts/dresses. Her reasoning is because she thinks certain ones make her look really, really short. She's a "curvy" 5' 2" tall and 123 lbs. Because she has a bubble booty and rather strong/muscular legs from years of fitness, she thinks her legs look stocky in certain skirts/dresses. She'll wear pencil skirts without issue because she feels she doesnt look as short in them. And she'll wear ballroom dresses/gowns but usually when doing ballroom dancing.

She really just prefers the ease, comfort, fit and look of her yoga pants (Lululemon, Lorna Jane, etc.) which she looks FANTASTIC wearing.
This.....coming from a man, who, I will assume, has never worn a skirt and high heals.

I think you should buy a skirt and a pair of high heals, wear them around the house, practice sitting, walking and bending, all the while making sure your undies are never exposed.

After trying this for a few days, get back to us......I am betting you will then understand why so many women prefer the comfort of wearing slacks/jeans instead of dresses and skirts.

I look just fine in dresses and heals, but I reserve them for special occasions because they are not practical and not as comfortable as jeans and shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty