Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 04:56 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,697,621 times

Advertisements

For a long time I avoided dresses because they weren't practical - I mean what if I needed to help someone change a tire or carry around heavy bags and then worry my skirt was riding up. No thanks. I also didn't want men to stare or get the idea I was dressing for them.

Over the last 3 months I've lost a bit of weight and have some more to lose so I've switched to dresses for the majority of my outfits. They are a little more forgiving with weight changes and I typically wear short shorts or a slip so I can still be active. Men stare but I just don't care if they get an eyeful now - ain't no skin off my back. My biggest issue is finding shoes to match the dress because I'm new to this, but everything looks good in combat boots right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 05:24 PM

983 posts, read 1,061,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I don't like skirts or dresses.

1. No pockets. I do not carry a purse, so I require pockets. Pants have pockets.

2. Not practical. I do a lot of bending over and I don't want to be constantly thinking about how to properly bend over with a skirt.

3. More complicated. With pants, I put them on, throw on some socks, tennis shoes and a top, and away I go. If I wore a skirt, I'd have to wear different shoes, think about what kind of sock liners I'd wear (no way in heck I'd ever wear panty hose), etc. Plus there is the whole slip, undergarment issue.
Exactly.

Plus the kind of shoes that go with a dress tend to not be terribly comfortable. I have serious joint problems and there is NO way I am going to wear shoes that aren't comfortable and supportive.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:27 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,314,665 times
I like skirts & dresses in the summer/spring for a nice breeze

But movement & freedom are restricted if you want to sit on the floor, or sit with your knees apart, or do yoga or handstands or chase kids or puppies around.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:30 PM

I live in a small country town. Very few women wear dresses here; faded blue jeans and Carhartt sweatshirts are probably more the norm. It isn't an issue of not wanting to be "feminine"; it's practical. We're very active, and durable clothes work better for work on the property.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:49 PM

6,834 posts, read 10,591,204 times
I don't like skirts. I feel exposed in them. I don't like to have to worry about wind or tiny details about how I sit. And yeah, most don't have pockets. They just seem very impractical and uncomfortable. If I rarely wear a skirt, I usually end up wearing pants underneath to feel normal, but if it is hot out no one wants to do that.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:23 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,511,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
I'd guess most don't wear them because they don't like their leg, don't want them exposed and/or don't like the way skirts look on them. Skirts come in all shapes and lengths. Personally I prefer skirts to pants or shorts, especially shorts. Grossiest thing ever is to see a bunch of women, be them teens or retirees, wearing shorts that do not fit (which most do not) get up from sitting and reach around and pull the shorts out of their crack or worse camel toe.
The same can be said of men, maybe more so.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:26 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,511,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
Exactly.

Plus the kind of shoes that go with a dress tend to not be terribly comfortable. I have serious joint problems and there is NO way I am going to wear shoes that aren't comfortable and supportive.
Yes! Why should a woman wear high heels ever?

Let men wear them, as they used to do.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:15 PM

I find it ironic that women, who are often (but not always) less physical than men, have been expected to wear clothes that increases their vulnerability. High heels make them less able to run, purses are easy for thieves to grab, skirts make it easier for rapists...By wearing "active" clothes and by not carrying a purse, I feel like I have leveled the playing field a bit!

Old 10-06-2015, 08:04 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood12 View Post
While they seem to be in the minority I have heard from a number of women they can't stand wearing a skirt or a dress at all. Just curious what some reasons may be? I do remember a friend awhile back tried on a dress after many years of not wearing one and she said she felt weird and uncomfortable.
I work in a job where skirts and dresses are not only impractical but dangerous. My hobbies are more outdoorsy type ones, hiking, surfing, etc. or hanging around the house ones, reading, sci-fi movies, etc. So again, jeans or shorts are more practical. Even going out with the girls or "date night" tend to be more physical activities. Last date night we went to laser tag.

Dresses generally are for funerals, job interviews, etc.

So I do not associate them with much beyond impinging my freedom of movement. I also don't like turtle necks but men only seem to care to make generalization about women who don't like skirts as opposed to those of us who don't like other items of clothing. Says more about them than the women.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:07 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,809,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I think the biggest reason is due to being self conscious of their body, you know, have body/image issues.

I believe the ones who say they "arent comfortable" are saying that because they dont want to come out and say the real reason which is "I am too self conscious of my body to wear skirts/dresses".

My wife rarely wears skirts/dresses. Her reasoning is because she thinks certain ones make her look really, really short. She's a "curvy" 5' 2" tall and 123 lbs. Because she has a bubble booty and rather strong/muscular legs from years of fitness, she thinks her legs look stocky in certain skirts/dresses. She'll wear pencil skirts without issue because she feels she doesnt look as short in them. And she'll wear ballroom dresses/gowns but usually when doing ballroom dancing.

She really just prefers the ease, comfort, fit and look of her yoga pants (Lululemon, Lorna Jane, etc.) which she looks FANTASTIC wearing.
Interesting generalization but sort of misplaced.

Most of the women I know who won't wear skirts still rock shorts. So not likely an exposure issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty