Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 06:54 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,641,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
Like I said I never said barbie's dimensions were ideal. Why you assumed that shows you see skinny as being ideal. I'm sorry I don't.

Like I said I'm a skinny person of color and that's natural so naturally I get made fun of for being too skinny. I think bria Myles has a better build than a real life Barbie. If barbie was thick with humongous boobs she'd have a nice build. But to me I think having a nice butt is more ideal.

Maybe if you weren't obsessed with skinny being ideal you'd understand not everyone sees that as ideal.

And yeah there is an ideal whr. It's .7. But that has nothing to do with fat or skinny I think the .7 ratio looks better on a thick frame. Stop being caught up in skinny v. Fat because that's not the topic.
Wow! You are one of the most delusional people I've ever met on here! Did I claim that you stated Barbie's dimensions were ideal? Nope. I did not assume being skinny is ideal. You're just making crap up now and blowing smoke.

I'm not obsessed with being skinny! I was never skinny. Even in high school when I was an athlete who rans miles and miles a day and starved themselves, I wasn't skinny. I've never wanted to be skinny. Healthy yes. But not skinny. And I do not think skinny is being ideal....Kate Moss has ALWAYS looked AWFUL! She looks like she's about to keel over just like most models do. They look like they would end up in the hospital if they ate a granola bar.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,641,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Slimmer women wear Spanx, too. Heck, even Gwyneth Paltrow has mentioned wearing them! They are great when wearing clingy fabrics, and I personally wear them to hide period bloat.
Gwen wears Spanx? No kidding! That's kind of funny. She seems to uppity for anything like that.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
You're right corsets date back to 1800 - 1930s, thats been debated with OP. If you think corsets styles aren't popular today among the younger generation, you'd be incorrect.

If the general population of women weren't size 12 -14, spanks wouldn't be needed.
Spanx are for looking smoother, not smaller. The average person isn't perfectly symmetrical or "lump and bump free" at any size.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:48 PM

4,211 posts, read 4,468,046 times
Do you think people want to look facially like the caricature an artist on the midway at the amusement park would draw of their face?

This would make people look deformed and abnormal - which is what the Barbie physique is - it is a caricature - which emphasizes the sexual productive elements of a woman's figure much like ancient sculptures of various types (Indian etc...) did to venerate the mystery of what those cultures did not fully comprehend.

In a 'figurative' way, Barbie conceptually is, a failure to comprehend. As a doll figurine, it literally makes it easier to grab for a little child's hand to hold onto by the tiny waist. In reality, probably less than one percent of the 'born' female population has that sort of ratio naturally due to it's extreme narrow hips for reproduction.

Some threads are so amusing in a ridiculous way.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:51 PM

459 posts, read 769,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Wow! You are one of the most delusional people I've ever met on here! Did I claim that you stated Barbie's dimensions were ideal? Nope. I did not assume being skinny is ideal. You're just making crap up now and blowing smoke.

I'm not obsessed with being skinny! I was never skinny. Even in high school when I was an athlete who rans miles and miles a day and starved themselves, I wasn't skinny. I've never wanted to be skinny. Healthy yes. But not skinny. And I do not think skinny is being ideal....Kate Moss has ALWAYS looked AWFUL! She looks like she's about to keel over just like most models do. They look like they would end up in the hospital if they ate a granola bar.

You did imply that I thought skinny was better here. Your assumptions says a lot more about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There's now such a thing as the perfect hip to waist ratio? Maybe if you're in China working in a Barbie plant! You clearly have some body issues especially when you rant on for 25 pages!

You sound an awful lot like my brother's girlfriend. She's a weirdo who is beyond obsessed with being thin. She's now wearing a corset so she can train her waist like a dog. She wants to be able to get her hands around her waist and have them touch or some other weirdness. She'll have fun when she's in the hospital.

Back in the Victorian days, women would frequently pass out and some died from corsets. Their organs were messed up and not in the proper place....this led to child birthing issues and death.....but they looked thin! So do skeletons....now there's a fabulous look.

Starving oneself isn't healthy imo.

And kate moss has a wider waist she's not really the type of skinny I was talking about at least now.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Spanx are for looking smoother, not smaller. The average person isn't perfectly symmetrical or "lump and bump free" at any size.
My mom actually was that's why I thought I was a freak when my boobs came in asymmetrical. I think in her family they tend to have perfect boobs and bodies.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:58 PM

342 posts, read 438,479 times
Talking about real Barbie - Valeria Lukanova, real life Russian Barbie. She has this tiny waist and tall slender body

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-09-2015 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted image deleted.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarin View Post
Talking about real Barbie - Valeria Lukanova, real life Russian Barbie. She has this tiny waist and tall slender body
To be literally honest her hips are too wide to have similar proportions but she gave it a good try.

If you look at what a realistic Barbie would look like her hips are distinctively like the typical woman with 33" hips. Valeria has curvy hips. And a narrow waist.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:42 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,953,300 times
fat americans need something to blame and hate

Old 01-06-2015, 11:52 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,891,800 times
Not sure why someone wanted to rep me about Bettie Page not wearing a corset. Google shows her in what looks like a corset to me. I didn't say she used it to waist-train. My guess is very few women were doing that after WWI (though probably some of the holdovers were actresses who needed to maximize their looks). I like the word "stylized" and am a struggling to find a less negative word than "caricature." Yeah, Barbie was that, but it wouldn't have been possible if corseting was just a dim memory to most people by then and/or obesity an epidemic, for otherwise Barbie would have looked too weird to become popular (compare with photoshopped thigh gaps). Also, re Barbie's oddly skinny limbs, maybe that's more like mannequins, where they're going to be covered much of the time and would be just a waste of materials/money if thicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty