Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 02:39 PM

16,074 posts, read 28,695,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Color is not irrelevant to the thread because body types are at least slightly linked to ethnicity. For what it's worth, the narrowest waists I've ever seen on non-anorexic, non-waist-trained women have been on black women.
I've seen many different body types in all ethnicities, it doesn't pertain to the thread title.

OP has been criticized throughout the thread, bringing it in as a last resort.

Last edited by virgode; 01-06-2015 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-06-2015, 02:43 PM

6,622 posts, read 4,956,260 times
Um, while maybe all body types exist in every group, Samoans demonstrate that ethnicity can affect body type. Anyway, it's her thread, so she can bring race into it if she likes, as long as it's not inflammatory. Food for thought: if mainstream Barbie were black, would her measurements be considered very unrealistic?

Old 01-06-2015, 03:02 PM

16,074 posts, read 28,695,320 times
Quote:
Um, while maybe all body types exist in every group, Samoans demonstrate that ethnicity can affect body type. Anyway, it's her thread, so she can bring race into it if she likes, as long as it's not inflammatory. Food for thought: if mainstream Barbie were black, would her measurements be considered very unrealistic?
If you look at responses among this thread of posters, yeah. Barbie's figure is stylized and doesn't fit the image of todays figure, some women are lucky enough to be blessed genetically.

I have tons of women's vintage clothing, smaller sized women were the norm.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:25 PM

459 posts, read 773,684 times
Quote:
You know, unless a thin woman with a Barbie body type is wearing quite fitted or revealing clothes, a person probably wouldn't consciously identify the shape in public and so it might seem almost non-existent. While shopping yesterday, I was drawn to a 6' tall woman yesterday with a nice face and figure, and only when I read the Julie Newmar post and found her height listed as 5'11" did I realize I'd probably seen a real-life Barbie.
I already left links saying barbs wouldn't be that tall.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Color is irrelevant to the thread and makes no difference. I'm not sure what to say about posts calling you out as body image disordered.

If you prefer to be thinner as opposed to fuller figure and wear a corset, own it with no apologies. Its okay. Healthy, regardless of size and body shape should always be preferred.
No actually cultural background has to do with it this is why you are implying skinny is more ideal and assuming I want to wear a corset when I never said that.

I'm not black but culturally where I come from socially curves are celebrated. I'm skinny but that's natural not something I chose to be if I had a choice I'd be thick. But that's not the subject. A waist that small is sickening to me just because I pointed out that it isn't that special to have such a waist doesn't mean I want to be that. I was simply saying her dimensions aren't out of the norm for a skinny woman. Nothing about what's better. Maybe you should stay on topic?

Old 01-06-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't know how old you are, but I was alive when Barbie was invented and women were NOT wearing corsets. A girdle maybe (the precursor to Spanx for you youngsters), but not corsets. Very few women on earth have comparable waist sizes to Barbie if they are also comparable to her height and chest measurement.
They may have not im 21 but I looked at vintage beauties of that time that did wear corsets which is what I'm basing it off of.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
You're right corsets date back to 1800 - 1930s, thats been debated with OP. If you think corsets styles aren't popular today among the younger generation, you'd be incorrect.

If the general population of women weren't size 12 -14, spanks wouldn't be needed.
Back to what I said originally. Many vintage beauties did wear corsets.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:49 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,288,521 times
I can easily name a dozen other celebrities with amazing figures, who all talk about wearing Spanx. Point being, virtually all women have a figure flaw they want to hide, not just those whose size is in the double-digits. Prior to the advent of control-top panty hose, shapers were considered as essential undergarments for women, regardless of body type.
Quote:
Gwyneth Paltrow doesn't need spanxs, for petes sake. Now theres a real case of a body image disorder. I always thought the gal was bit off though.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:53 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,069,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Americans would rather make their dolls fat, than lose weight.
Sad, but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't know how old you are, but I was alive when Barbie was invented and women were NOT wearing corsets. A girdle maybe (the precursor to Spanx for you youngsters), but not corsets. Very few women on earth have comparable waist sizes to Barbie if they are also comparable to her height and chest measurement.
I don't know why so many posters believe women don't wear corsets. Corset companies are thriving, and corset wearers such as myself buy them, as well as girdles. I'm not fat, I like the sexy look of a corset, and I like the way a girdle smoothes me out when I'm wearing a snug fitting dress. As an aside, I think Spanx girdles are overrated and they don't work as well as the Maidenform and other brands, plus they're more expensive.

I suppose Jukes and other posters think this because corset wearers are not as visible as before. However, I assure you, we do exist, and it's not just about waist training. Also, waist training with a corset is ineffective without also eating healthy. Waist training over time via corsetting helps give the woman more curves and the hourglass shape than just diet and exercise. As for Barbie, I believe she got her figure with tightlaced corsetting, diet, exercise, but mostly a man's fertile imagination (among other things).

Old 01-06-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I've seen many different body types in all ethnicities, it doesn't pertain to the thread title.

OP has been criticized throughout the thread, bringing it in as a last resort.
No it seems some are a bit ignorant to the fact that some cultures don't put much value in a slimmer figure. I brought it up explaining that being slim is not a good thing necessarily. To me it's more about curves.

So I don't try to be skinny nor do I want to to wear a corset. I would far rather be thick. I was explaining basically why I'd rather not be skinny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty