Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 12:32 PM

1,867 posts, read 1,680,705 times

Advertisements

I hope that they do not sell "Strawberry Shortcake" dolls anymore; remember all of the girls whose self-image was compromised by corporate pressure to be short and hydrocephalic?

Old 01-05-2015, 12:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,297,977 times
Bratz dolls.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:06 PM

459 posts, read 775,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
yes so are YOU going to wear a corset to emulate an ideal MALE figure?

I would like to see you as a Perfect Inverted Triangle, and if you cant manage that naturally you can bind yourself into a CORSET so you can barely breathe or move, but THATS OK because its apparently what some douche somewhere (never named) thinks is IDEAL.

Edit: pardon me if you are female. If you ARE female perhaps you will one day be a single mum too, bringing home the bacon AND tending the home fire, raising the kids and tending the lawn, doing all of it in a CORSET as well.
Yeah I don't think that shape is ideal I just said it was attainable. I Don't want to wear a corset. A 16 in waist seems sickening to me. 21" waist is the smallest without looking that bad.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
My guess is top-heavy people (more so women than men) are more prone to spine problems, but evolution hardly cares about pain in old age and favors whoever who can reproduce and raise their young, so nature keeps producing some extremes, even real-life Barbies. Also, I think Barbie figures are more likely on black women, and black people have slightly heavier bones than other races.
My grandma never had back pain and she has HUGE boobs like 3 times my size with an ectomorphic build. I think it has to do with how the back is though.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:31 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,345,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justawkward11 View Post
Did you not see where I said with a corset?

If you add 6 inches (the amount a corset takes off the waist) her waist would 22". That's not than large enough to handle a 36" bust. Think of Jayne Mansfield. She had a 40" bust and 21" waist. And she was fine and more endowed than a human Barbie would likely be.
That is a really big "if". And little girls aren't going to be saying, "well, historically, lots of women wore corsets", they are going to assume that women grow that way.

My mom had a 19" waist BK (Before Kids). After that, 26/27". But she didn't have a large bosom, nor did she have a giraffe neck or heron legs. She was 5'4" tall.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Natural hourglass women generally aren't tall, but surely some are, and some women are more like Barbie, big on top, with small waist and not very curvy around it. I didn't study the old women in my family, but some were busty and I think closer to that than hourglass and tall too. One of them was in a beauty pageant, and probably the body type isn't rare there.
There are 3 types of hourglasses. Vase cello and standard hourglass. Vases can have big bust and are taller normally.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:44 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,107,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
I hope that they do not sell "Strawberry Shortcake" dolls anymore; remember all of the girls whose self-image was compromised by corporate pressure to be short and hydrocephalic?
Hey, don't knock Strawberry Shortcake. I look just like her, except I'm a brunette

Old 01-05-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
That is a really big "if". And little girls aren't going to be saying, "well, historically, lots of women wore corsets", they are going to assume that women grow that way.

My mom had a 19" waist BK (Before Kids). After that, 26/27". But she didn't have a large bosom, nor did she have a giraffe neck or heron legs. She was 5'4" tall.
That's a good point but actually when I was a kid I knew about corsets just didn't know they can't suck it in that much. it.can actually teach them about history.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Well, one things for sure, Barbie would be to big (other than height) to be a Fashion Model.
Like I said my mom always considered Barbie fat for a reason.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:57 PM

6,623 posts, read 4,984,251 times
I couldn't find support for my assertion about the women in beauty pageants. Older pictures are hard to find and I think bikinis weren't common in the major contests until recently. The only Barbie I found was http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600...2004_04_02.jpg
Not a teenager there, but doesn't she look like one? Barbie is supposed to be early 20's, right? These days it's probably a rare shape beyond the teens, and I believe it was always rare after 25 or having kids. My guess is that earlier puberty and unhealthy lifestyle (even the ones raised right are likely to indulge in college) are contributing, in addition to the near-death of corseting. Additionally, if Barbie was based on a European doll, that makes sense, for at least among Slavic women, a tiny waist seems to be a long tradition. The crazy women who try to remake themselves into living Barbies almost always are Eastern European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty