Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ok well these aren't female don'ts these are more specific. These are my personal don'ts.

Pantyhose-never wear it. I hate it.
Sweatpants anywhere and yoga pants except at the gym
Obnoxious logos, actually almost any logo
Turtlenecks
Anything with stains (I love white tshirts but I throw them out after every couple of months)
Anything above a kitten heel. I have pretty feet I refuse to ruin them.
Belts over shirts.
Too much jewelry. I always wear a necklace that is a family heirloom which is substantial. So I don't wear big earrings and bracelets too.
Low rise or mom jeans.
Miniskirts or short shorts.
Smart move!!! So many women are literally ruining their feet with their shoes.

http://celebritysmackblog.com/2010/0...elebrity-feet/ - You can just see what squishing the toes and balls of the feet into shoes does after years of abuse...bunyons and crooked jammed toes are not very attractive.

Last edited by geebabe; 08-08-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 09:09 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Pointed heels. Crocs. I know they're comfortable, but they're plain hard to look at. Don't ask me why.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:02 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I agree with most everyone, except I don't mind Fedoras (don't own one myself).

So glad someone pointed out belts right below the bust. I hate that too, and the really high-up belt trend. I remember I saw an episode of Sex and the City and the main character had a completely bare midriff, with a belt right in the middle, about 2 inches below her bust. It was the oddest thing I'd ever seen - although I have yet to see that on anyone in real life.
If you're busty but have a smaller waist, then a belt at the waist or right below the bust helps define your shape. Without my elastic-ish belts a lot of my clothing doesn't fit right and makes me look FAR larger than I really am. I could pay a bunch of money to get my $15 shirts tailored, or I could just throw on a belt that helps define my shape.

As for fashion don'ts....generally I don't really care or pay attention to what other people are wearing. In fact, I PREFER the weird outfits, the mismatched colors/prints etc. because at least it's interesting. The only think I could really say I dislike universally is ultra pointy toed high heels and anything in a kitten heel. I just don't think either of those things ever look good on anyone.

Other than that, I think I regularly sport at least 3/4 of the 'fashion faux pas' mentioned on this thread so I'm probably not the one who should have any real opinion

Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,728,705 times
Those ring and bracelet combos..I think they call them "slave" bracelets? (trashy like a tramp stamp, NOT sexy)

Toe Rings

Orange spray on tans

Teased hair

50 year olds dressing "age appropriate"
what was viewed as "age appropriate"...in the 70s!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:41 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
If you're busty but have a smaller waist, then a belt at the waist or right below the bust helps define your shape. Without my elastic-ish belts a lot of my clothing doesn't fit right and makes me look FAR larger than I really am. I could pay a bunch of money to get my $15 shirts tailored, or I could just throw on a belt that helps define my shape.

I am too, but for some reason it just doesn't look right on me.
But I never see people with this shape wearing them though (like my SATC example)

I can't believe how people say pantyhose in lieu of pants - people do this
I hate wearing pantyhose. Esp in the climate I live in, and pantyhose seems sort of out-dated. I didn't know people really wore them much anymore. I did a few times when I was much younger, in the 80's and it was one of the most uncomfortable clothing items I ever wore.

I agree on the heels - I just don't go there. At my height I should, but hey I'm short, no need to fake it I guess. I am not willing to sacrifice that much comfort for a few inches.

I don't like the pointy toe shoes either.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post

You have got to be kidding.

Where, pray tell, was this? In a mental hospital?!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-A7_mAu83b6...ed.com+016.jpg

Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post

You have got to be kidding.

Where, pray tell, was this? In a mental hospital?!
Once at the mall.

Another time in the parking lot at the Sprint store.

One time at trader joes!

It was bizarro!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I am bad about doing this. I don't always belt. Especially with pants. The belt goes on, and suddenly people are like "have you lost weight?"

The belt is also a good way to break up the patterns as well.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:14 PM

741 posts, read 1,288,524 times
Baggy elastic waist skirt that has that odd mid-calf cut off. That's rough for some women. Especially when they pull the elastic waist up to right under their boobs. I am guilty of this, this appears to have been my look through high school due to the fact my mom only bought me clothes in the old lady section.
Yet, some people seem to choose this look with their own free will????

Buying a button down sweater a little too small, so one painfull button is straining on it's last thread to keep it shut over the goods. A small sweater is fine, just don't force the poor thing to button. Let it rest in peace.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:33 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Extremely short, tight shorts, with that poured-into-them-until-they're-about-to-split look - when the wearer has way too much to pour. Saw a lot of this downtown in a major Eastern U.S. city a couple of weeks ago, worn mostly by young women who appeared to be in their late teens or early twenties, many of whom were carrying noticeable extra poundage. It was not a pretty look in any way, particularly as the wearers' weight issues affected not only the area covered by the shorts but also their thighs, which were quite hefty in many cases. Nor did the skin-tight shorts appear to be very comfortable for the wearers, as they were visibly cutting into the tops of their thighs.

Young ladies, cover that cellulite. Leave a little mystery - no need to show everything you've got to everyone you encounter.

I have no problem with shorts that fit well and are an appropriate length for the wearer's height and weight - anyone who's more than say, ten pounds overweight looks much better in Bermudas than in about-to-pop short shorts!

Older ladies, often very severely overweight, attending a special-interest collectors' convention in the same city, wearing brightly colored baggy t-shirts or gigantic, loose-fitting tunics with images of the collectible on the front, accessorized by pins, necklaces, and other pieces of dangly jewelry with replicas of the collectible suspended from them, sometimes accompanied by straw hats trimmed with colorful small versions of the collectible item, plus big canvas tote bags, also adorned with the collectible's image. All set off with running shoes worn with ankle socks and calf-length Capris.

Certainly a distinct look, and one I hope was limited to the convention. However, it clearly made the wearers happy to adorn themselves with their topical attire and hurt no one, so I can't be too critical, bizarre though the ladies' appearances might be to anyone outside of this particular collector's group.

The ladies did alter their appearance and dressed quite nicely for the concluding formal banquet, though some topical jewelry and tote bags were still evident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty