Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 10:56 AM

1,839 posts, read 3,067,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
once again some really good thoughts and arguements guys. Heres another ideal, not only does social conditioning and genetics play a role on what we find attractive, but does it also play a role on our values, standards, beliefs? And only by having awareness of this and whats going on, do we finally get the free will to choose?
There is truth to this too. We all try to come up with the "right" answers but the "right" answers are often determined by the majority. For example, most think it's not ok to cheat. I agree with this but WHY? I think if we listen to our gut on many things rather than our friends opinions (fortunately my gut agrees that cheating is wrong.) or something we see on CD or in a movie we would be better off with many decisions.

Most of us learn right from wrong from our parents and from early childhood in school with other children. Some have parents that do not "fit in" with society and then a child is left to make decisions to follow society or follow the way of the parents. This is when independent thinking starts to happen.

Religion plays a part in things too but that also gets confusing with the honor your parents when you can see their actions are not so in line with other things the bible, as example, says. Honor your parents but don't always do what they do. Don't always do what society tells you. Differences in the standard way of doing things are exactly what brings about the awareness of free will.

Yes, you must first notice , be aware that there are different options to make a choice. When society and your parents and your church are consistent with something, it is hard to say no, I feel that is wrong. In physical attraction, in many areas of life, we are brainwashed. It depends what is going on in society at a given time too. Times change. Look at the legalization of marijuana or the same sex marriage whereas people were "in the closet" in previous generations because it was less accepted.

Laws change, things stated in various religions figure in to societal standards, and people are influenced by the times. Everyone is, some a lot, always following popular trends ("hey let's go get out tongue pierced!") and others not so much. A lot of it is a brainwash. It is not always easy to be different or hold a different opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I'm pretty sure I'm not brainwashed by society in any way, let alone who I share my heart with.

Besides, if you were to line up all the guys I've dated it would look like the start of a united nations sub committee.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-02-2013, 11:37 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,476 times
And I repeat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
It's impossible for anyone to determine how much of our preferences are genetic vs. socialized,

Those of you who appear to think you have a definitive black-and-white answer to the age-old nature vs. nurture question are full of sh*t.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:48 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm not brainwashed by society in any way, let alone who I share my heart with.

Besides, if you were to line up all the guys I've dated it would look like the start of a united nations sub committee.
lol, ya i don't believe you were brainwased nani wahine. I don't think everyone is brainwashed but i do think many ppl are sleep walking thru life. Death isnt the sad thing, for some its they haven't lived life yet. Kind of like the matrix lol. Anyway sis your prob alot like me? that why i call u a gd wahine, with a gd ohana. Aloha Mahalo thanks for sharing.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 06-02-2013 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-02-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
And I repeat:

Those of you who appear to think you have a definitive black-and-white answer to the age-old nature vs. nurture question are full of sh*t.
I agree brah, but the wonderful thing about ppl is each one of us has a piece to this puzzle, if each person laid down there piece to the puzzle of life, there would be a great picture to see lol.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:45 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,350,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Actually, until WW2, they were.

In the Western world, a woman's attractiveness was considered to be at its peak from 35 to 45 years of age.
I was born way late in the game...

Ah well, more for me.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:01 PM

808 posts, read 1,879,185 times
I'm fully aware that society and the media have shaped my perception of what is beautiful. That being said, what can you do about it? If the penis gets excited then it gets excited. I can't tell my penis 'No! Bad penis! That woman isn't actually beautiful you're just being brainwashed into thinking so.'

Old 06-02-2013, 03:22 PM

896 posts, read 1,400,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Yea, I get that.

Point is, people should not conclude that their romantic preference is not influenced by society simply because it either does not align with what the media portrays as attractive, or the opinion of their friends.

Again, we can't spontaneously develop preferences. It's not physically possible.

I would like to think it's way more complicated than that.
Actually, it could be that simple. I am an African American female, but I am very concerned about my weight. When I get around African Americans men and women that always ask what I am so concerned about. I personally do not like being considered "thick", and this is how I grew up. I first when to schools that was most black and then later most when to school where everyone was mostly white and felt I had make sure I look a certain way to be attractive.

I feel like I have to workout hard and stay certain size to attract white men for African American men you can breathe a little bit.

This psyche causes a lot of anxiety and worry and could contribute to so much of the obesity in this country. The stress of everyday life and trying to stay a certain weight is stressful and many people turn to food.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:36 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,230,626 times
Lots of guys going after women they cant land, maybe its better that way because then you don't have cut throat competition for bigger women and can instead focus on being happy instead of being a jester.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:19 PM

Uhmm guys the purpose of this tread wasn't to say u can't like what you like, go for it! The purpose was to get ppl to think where they get there ideals from and maybe open some ppls awareness that you don't have to be stuck with fixed ideals, like myself i can look at 90% of the wahines and find something attractive to them. I was exposed to alot of different cultures and ohanas while growing up. And living a part of my life being a minority, I like to believe that my experience has effectted my perceptions of life. Anyway great stuff guys. Mahalo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty