Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,931,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
This is where you lost me. Marilyn Monroe wouldn't be considered fat today, in fact she would get bashed for being skinny. Did you know that her waist was only 22 inches? Do you realize how skinny that is? The average female today is pushing closer to 30 inch waist. Its only fat people who are pushing agendas that make up the Marilyn Monroe would be fat today myth.

I got this from online:
I am late to the Marilyn Party.

Technically should we be too hippy to be a model today. Her hips were 35-36, and today's models only have 32-34 inch hips. This makes her "fat" in modeling speak. But actually, her waist is smaller than a typical model today. They have 24 inch waists. [ideal measurements are more like 34-24-34 these days]

But the thing that puzzles me a lot more, is what on earth is wrong with our food today that everyone is so much bigger. My mom (who was a skinny minnie) and her most of her sisters had 18-20 inch waists in their early 20s. That was obviously very small, but not ridiculously uncommon either. So these days, your average "skinny" woman has a 24-25 inch waist. What gives? Why are we much bigger now. What exactly happened? Why are women's breasts much bigger now? How many hormones are we ingesting? There is something else wrong besides our declining levels of activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 06:13 PM

221 posts, read 380,600 times
Default God bless u

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
So have you ever thought that maybe your ideals of what is attractive is really not your ideals, for example, i grew up moving around alot being exposed to different cultures, religious beliefs, and families. I hardly watched t.v. As an adult I have alot of guys that are friends and sometimes we talk about you ladies, whats attractive, whats not etc. My friends mostly talk about the skinny, model type as being attractive etc, where im usually one of the lone guys that says i llke bbw ladies or, and nerd girls.I also like a few model type girls but mostly its ladies with more to love that i find attractive. I once asked my friends why they thought that models where more attractive or why they were attracted to the model type mostly and most of my friends just shrugged.

So do u think t.v. magazines, peer pressure etc influences what you find attractive, even on an unconscious level? And how does it influence u?
On behalf of all women who have 10-20 lbs to lose, God bless you!

Old 06-03-2013, 08:45 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,770,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
On behalf of all women who have 10-20 lbs to lose, God bless you!
lol, no biggie, i grewup on Hawai'i have you seen some of those pacific island wahines? whooo big but gorgeous. I appreciate all wahines, god is good.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 PM

102,251 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I think the renaissance and early u.s history thought that women with fulfigures or bbw where attractive and more desired, so what does that say?
Exactly. Overweight used to mean well-fed. It was a status symbol. There are still countries where it's a sign of prestige for women to be fat. Men are not biologically programmed to find thin women attractive. If anything, they're programmed to find heavier women attractive, because in ancient times, the extra weight = extra boobage and bigger hips = fertility symbol.

So...whatever. Attractiveness is a social construct. Playboy went through a long phase (I'm not sure it's out of that phase yet) when narrow-hipped women with boy figures were the thing. Then after that, it became narrow-hipped women with big fake boobs. They don't get the wide-hip types like back in Marilyn Monroe's day, much.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am late to the Marilyn Party.

Technically should we be too hippy to be a model today. Her hips were 35-36, and today's models only have 32-34 inch hips. This makes her "fat" in modeling speak. But actually, her waist is smaller than a typical model today. They have 24 inch waists. [ideal measurements are more like 34-24-34 these days]

But the thing that puzzles me a lot more, is what on earth is wrong with our food today that everyone is so much bigger. My mom (who was a skinny minnie) and her most of her sisters had 18-20 inch waists in their early 20s. That was obviously very small, but not ridiculously uncommon either. So these days, your average "skinny" woman has a 24-25 inch waist. What gives? Why are we much bigger now. What exactly happened? Why are women's breasts much bigger now? How many hormones are we ingesting? There is something else wrong besides our declining levels of activity.
Jade, is your mom petite? I've never heard of a 20-inch waist. 24-25 has been the norm since around the 60's, I think. I remember hearing about 36-24-36 as being the "hot" measurements of the day. 34 24 34 would tend to indicate someone small-boned, if a medium height (5'6 or 5'7) were assumed. Either that or someone stick-thin of average build.

idk. The world has gone mad. Best not to worry about it and just be what's healthy for you.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,241,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Exactly. Overweight used to mean well-fed. It was a status symbol. There are still countries where it's a sign of prestige for women to be fat. Men are not biologically programmed to find thin women attractive. If anything, they're programmed to find heavier women attractive, because in ancient times, the extra weight = extra boobage and bigger hips = fertility symbol.
...But that's because overweight women were part of royalty and the upper class, so they could afford to eat that much. The average woman back then had to go out and get the food and move around.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
...But that's because overweight women were part of royalty and the upper class, so they could afford to eat that much. The average woman back then had to go out and get the food and move around.
True, but fat was still the "hot" or prestige look.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
True, but fat was still the "hot" or prestige look.
I wonder, how do you train your brain to think that a woman is hot...

Old 06-03-2013, 09:42 PM

Overweight was hot in Russia. It began to change sometime around the end of Gorby's era. But I've always been told over there I need to eat more. They like extra padding over there.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Overweight was hot in Russia. It began to change sometime around the end of Gorby's era. But I've always been told over there I need to eat more. They like extra padding over there.
Must be a regional thing.

I didn't live there very long, but I knew teenagers that oogled long legs during my stay at a hospital. Must be western influence, but all the Americans I know care about either the chest or rump. I'd have to say those boys I met have corrupted me, for I too have become interested in the shape of a woman's legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty