Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,651,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
But this attitude that a woman who confidently wears heels is self-centered reeks of a patriarchal view. Why shouldn't a person put on a garment and feel more powerful or comfortable or serious or frivolous or however they want to feel? How on earth is that a detriment to society?
Because if theyre out being confident and wearing what they want it means they aren't being humble and modest while barefoot and in the kitchen of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,883,507 times
WOW...I guess that I owe the world an apology because I happen to enjoy the way that women look just naturally. The fact that I don't like the weird/freakish posture caused by an artificial enhancement like a high heel makes me some kind of weirdo. Even gay.

Actually, I think it's weird to find that attractive. So weird, in fact that I imagine a person would have to have issues if they found that more attractive than a natural woman's body. And by the tone of some of the responses here, I believe that the "issues" assumption was not a mistake.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
WOW...I guess that I owe the world an apology because I happen to enjoy the way that women look just naturally. The fact that I don't like the weird/freakish posture caused by an artificial enhancement like a high heel makes me some kind of weirdo. Even gay.

Actually, I think it's weird to find that attractive. So weird, in fact that I imagine a person would have to have issues if they found that more attractive than a natural woman's body. And by the tone of some of the responses here, I believe that the "issues" assumption was not a mistake.
Chill out, dude. You can say you don't find it attractive without putting down the women (and men) who like the look. I think that's the big issue. It's one thing to say you like a more natural woman and an entirely different thing to say we look like freaks.

Use your words more carefully and you can expect less vitriol.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM

51 posts, read 144,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And I find it funny that you jump to the conclusion that women who wear heels are stuck up, narcissistic princesses. Or that women who have confidence and self esteem are undesireable.

Yes, I know most men find tall women unattractive, are you trying to 'knock me down a few pegs' to make me feel bad about myself? I've been over 6' tall since I was 14 and believe me, men have made it quite known that they didn't find me attractive because of my height...they can be very harsh and downright mean to women who don't fit their ideal of perfection. If you don't like tall women, that's great! I'll continue wearing my heels and being awesome regardless of what you think of it
Touche. I don't think that all women are like that. However, I do think that as a whole our society has transformed into an entitlement state. Women in the U.S have become less attractive (men too) in regards to personality. We live in an insecure world where everyone always feels the need to out-do everyone else. People watch too much t.v, trash that makes them feel self-conscious. Then people go out and emulate these horrible people that make them feel bad.

People care too much about what other people are doing and how society views them. All of this results in a society of people who don't think for themselves. Everyone is just conforming to this garbage so they feel accepted. Narcissism is nothing more then insecurity manifested into a false sense of confidence.

You're right not all women who wear heels are stuck-up. However, every girlfriend I've ever had that was obsessed with heels always had this personality transformation when they put them on. Not in a good way. I think they watched too much Sex and the City. It was like this false sense of confidence. There is a difference between arrogance and confidence. Real confidence is very attractive to a man. A man who buys a million dollar sports car to impress girls is not confident. Sometimes less is more.

Unfortunately nature isn't fair. What people find attractive is subjective; although, trends do exist. Different people find different things attractive. I happen to like women that are friendly, outgoing, fun, flirty and humble. It has nothing to do with thinking women are stupid.

I wasn't trying to beat you up about the height thing.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratherbefishing View Post
Touche. I don't think that all women are like that. However, I do think that as a whole our society has transformed into an entitlement state. Women in the U.S have become less attractive (men too) in regards to personality. We live in an insecure world where everyone always feels the need to out-do everyone else. People watch too much t.v, trash that makes them feel self-conscious. Then people go out and emulate these horrible people that make them feel bad.

People care too much about what other people are doing and how society views them. All of this results in a society of people who don't think for themselves. Everyone is just conforming to this garbage so they feel accepted. Narcissism is nothing more then insecurity manifested into a false sense of confidence.

You're right not all women who wear heels are stuck-up. However, every girlfriend I've ever had that was obsessed with heels always had this personality transformation when they put them on. Not in a good way. I think they watched too much Sex and the City. It was like this false sense of confidence. There is a difference between arrogance and confidence. Real confidence is very attractive to a man. A man who buys a million dollar sports car to impress girls is not confident. Sometimes less is more.

Unfortunately nature isn't fair. What people find attractive is subjective; although, trends do exist. Different people find different things attractive. I happen to like women that are friendly, outgoing, fun, flirty and humble. It has nothing to do with thinking women are stupid.
I
I wasn't trying to beat you up about the height thing.
I think people are far more multi-faceted than you want to believe. I own all the SATC seasons on DVD because they're fun and escapist for me. Sometimes, when my sister and I went out for drinks we would talk about stupid and inane stuff that would probably make you think we're 'stuck up'.

I happen to be a certified aircraft mechanic/pilot with an engineering degree and can talk shop with the best of them, but that doesn't mean I also don't like dressing up, wearing my heels and gabbing with the ladies.

When a woman feels good about herself and feels sexy, I'm sure that can be intimidating and come off as arrogance. If you don't like that type of woman, then don't date them or be around them.... seems pretty simple to me.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM

456 posts, read 1,171,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think people are far more multi-faceted than you want to believe. I own all the SATC seasons on DVD because they're fun and escapist for me. Sometimes, when my sister and I went out for drinks we would talk about stupid and inane stuff that would probably make you think we're 'stuck up'.

I happen to be a certified aircraft mechanic/pilot with an engineering degree and can talk shop with the best of them, but that doesn't mean I also don't like dressing up, wearing my heels and gabbing with the ladies.

When a woman feels good about herself and feels sexy, I'm sure that can be intimidating and come off as arrogance. If you don't like that type of woman, then don't date them or be around them.... seems pretty simple to me.
I agree! And I also happen to love SATC lol
I speak four languages and am working on my second masters. I love talking about politics and current events. I have spent countless days, nights, and weeks studying in the library like a little nerd, but at the same time I can go out, put on 5 inch stilettos and dance all night. People aren't so black and white. Just because you're attractive and like to go out and dress a certain way, doesn't mean you're air-headed or a skank. And every feminine woman (95% of women) has her moments when she acts like a fool. Why? Because it's just fun sometimes!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:55 PM

I think all of that is shallow and vacuous but that's just me.

Why are you throwing around your degree? That is totally irrelevant. Reminds me of guys that don't know to talk to girls and think that they can impress them with their job..... Hey can I buy you a drink? Did you know that I make a lot of money? Wanna go out some time?

If I find a particular woman unattractive how would I feel intimidated? Unfortunately, this entire nation is becoming that type of women; it's impossible to escape.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
I agree! And I also happen to love SATC lol
I speak four languages and am working on my second masters. I love talking about politics and current events. I have spent countless days, nights, and weeks studying in the library like a little nerd, but at the same time I can go out, put on 5 inch stilettos and dance all night. People aren't so black and white. Just because you're attractive and like to go out and dress a certain way, doesn't mean you're air-headed or a skank. And every feminine woman (95% of women) has her moments when she acts like a fool. Why? Because it's just fun sometimes!
I wouldn't ask you out. It's your personality that I find unattractive.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 PM

456 posts, read 1,171,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratherbefishing View Post
I think all of that is shallow and vacuous but that's just me.

Why are you throwing around your degree? That is totally irrelevant. Reminds me of guys that don't know to talk to girls and think that they can impress them with their job..... Hey can I buy you a drink? Did you know that I make a lot of money? Wanna go out some time?

If I find a particular woman unattractive how would I feel intimidated? Unfortunately, this entire nation is becoming that type of women; it's impossible to escape.
Throwing around my degree? What? Every other person has one. I was just trying to make the point that just because someone likes to put on certain attire and act a certain way, doesn't mean you should assume they're one-dimensional and act like certain stereotypes/do not have much else to offer.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 PM

I'm done with this thread. I have better things to do then explain to girls what insecurity means and why it's a bad thing. Guys don't like dating insecure girls. Guys don't like dating girls with something to prove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty