Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:39 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking moo-moos or aprons...I mean clothes like shirts, blouses, dresses, whatever.

I have been plus size (on the low end) for years but finding NICE clothes in natural fibers that don't break the bank is very difficult.

Recently I had to go get a few things and it took me forever. I wound up at Kmart buying a few items from the Jackelyn Smith collection.

Where do you plus ladies buy your clothes? What are your thoughts on quality?
Personally I hate artificial fabrics like polyester and so on.

I order from Woman Within (Lane Bryant) sometimes and they have a good choice of casual things but often it's hard to buy this way (if it doesn't fit you have to reship it back...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 06:49 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,002 times
[quote=GypsySoul22;1678740] What are your thoughts on quality?
quote]

There is a culture of "fat hate" in the US that permeates everything - from clothing to airplane seats to personal attacks. It is the last group it is OK to hate on and make fun of outloud.

At least Big and Tall MEN have quality to choose from - women are forced into poly crap and horrible colors and aged styles.

Here is a link to one of the few "nice" large size clothing places:

Plus size clothes for women at Jessica London

Old 10-08-2007, 08:22 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,518 posts, read 6,325,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm not talking moo-moos or aprons...I mean clothes like shirts, blouses, dresses, whatever.

I have been plus size (on the low end) for years but finding NICE clothes in natural fibers that don't break the bank is very difficult.

Recently I had to go get a few things and it took me forever. I wound up at Kmart buying a few items from the Jackelyn Smith collection.

I order from Woman Within (Lane Bryant) sometimes and they have a good choice of casual things but often it's hard to buy this way (if it doesn't fit you have to reship it back...).
I hear ya. Youd think they would learn. Theres more of us normal peeps than there are scarecrows. And we gots more money. Truthfully tho now that Im older I shop a lot less cause I already have tons of stuff from when I worked. Mostly Im casual stuff now. Most of which I buy at SA or GW.

Ive always had a hard time even when I was thinner cause Im right on the edge. Normie stuff is too small and Plus is too big. Also Im tallish and long waisted. And Im curvey. Contrary to public opinion all large peeps arent short and squat wth no waist.

Ive learned to think outside the box. And it helps to have a good seamstress. When I was an engineer and wore suits I had a lot of stuff made or remade. For example a lot of short coats are too short for me so I buy regular length and have it hemmed to just where I want it.

Ive also bought mens suits and had them adjusted. Another thing Ive done is buy those sleeveless dresses that have a matching duster. Cut the dress off at the armpits and make a skirt out of it then the duster becomes your jacket. Hem it or not.

Never get hung up on size. I wear a 16/18 but Ive bought a 4x before if I need the extra for alterations. Also try to look at stuff for what it can be not what it is. Sometimes it just needs tweaked.

Right now Im more casual so Im wearing mostly mens shirts. Im sick of this shrunken stuff thats out there now. Seriously I dont care for most of whats out ther now so Im wearin what I got. Just because something is in style doesnt mean I have to wear it. I feel so sad for some of the young girls who are larger when I see them trying to dress like their thin friends and all their stuff is hangin out.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:32 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Right now Im more casual so Im wearing mostly mens shirts.
Yet another example - MEN get to order shirts by collar size and sleeve length - pants by waist AND inseam - women have to be proportional or they are SOL.

Heaven forbid if you are tall and chubby and female - NO pants are made for you.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:59 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Coldwater Creek has some nice stuff..not cheap though
A friend of mine uses then alot.

Woman's jeans....BAH!!!
I always find my jeans in the men's dept and then go over to ladies to try them on
Many lengths and waist sizes to choose from

Old 10-08-2007, 10:08 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
When I was plus size, the clothes I found in the stores were drab and looked like something my great grandmother wore back in her days.
Check out QVC.com
The prices are reasonable for the clothing and you'll have a choice of several colors most of the time. I think they go up to 3 or 4X and what I have ordered has been of good quality.
Speaking of jeans, wish someone would make jeans for middle aged ladies. The junior ones are too low cut on the hip and the missy ones come up to your neck. Okay, Im exaggerating but I want a pair of jeans that come to my natural waist and fit correctly. They seem to be making jeans for people that have the same waist, hip and thigh measurments.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:00 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
...- women have to be proportional or they are SOL.
Exactly! I have a petite frame, but I'm not petite. I buy plus size shirts to fit my bustline, but the sleeves are too long and the shoulders don't fit right either. By the time I find a shirt that fits across the bust, I look like I'm wearing a tent. If pants don't come in "short" length, I don't even try them on. I don't sew and I don't know anyone who does.

I like Gloria Vanderbuilt Amanda jeans. I buy them at Mervyns. They're the right length for me and they come in several colors. I usually shop there or at Fashion Bug.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:49 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Oh my God, you are so right. If they ever banned polyester and floral prints, Lane Bryant and most other places would go out of business. What are they thinking?
I have gotten good stuff at the Designer plus sizes at Macy's (Jones NY, Ralph Lauren), also CJ Banks, Talbots and Casual Corner. What's good about all those places is they usually have the same outfits in all the sizes so if your top is regular and your bum is bigger (like me) you can go between departments to get a whole outfit that fits.
Since I'm tall, I did get the best fitting jeans at Lane Bryant.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:26 PM

618 posts, read 1,610,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

My sister and I also wear plus size clothing. For years now, she has had such a hard time finding clothes that didn't look frumpy. While Lane Bryant has many of the newest fashions in all sizes, their prices can be pretty high. Therefore, we usually buy several pairs of pants (on sale) from Lane Bryant, and then buy our shirts from JC Penney's. JC Penney's has really updated their plus size selection of clothes in the last couple of months. Also, we recently discovered the store called Rainbow. Although their plus size shirts are limited in styles, they are REALLY cheap, usually $5 for a shirt.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:32 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Right on, fat sisters!
I would be naked without Talbots. They have plus sizees, AND a great selection of pants and jackets in petite plus (I still have to have pants and jeans hemmed, though). The only thing I do not like is their insistence on using a nylon/rayon knit for a lot of tops that feels creepy, picks easily and rapidly becomes shapless. I always prefer natural fabrics. Oh, and I wish they had more selections in their stores...many times I order at the store for reduced shipping charges...it's not fair that I have to order and pay shipping and the misses sizes have more selection...also, not every one of their stores carries plus and plus petite.
Jessica London-looks great in the catalog, but sizes are never true and quality is simply awful. I usually end up shipping everything back.
Back when Mode magazine was publishing, sizes, styles and quality went up...but now there is less selection and quality is much poorer.
One of the most UNFAIR stores is Target. LOTS of cute designer clothes, cheap. Plus sizes=seriously ugly, poor-fitting, thin fabric, mis-seamed with very little selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty