Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:53 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,419,641 times

Advertisements

[quote=Grasonville;1678793]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
What are your thoughts on quality?
quote]

There is a culture of "fat hate" in the US that permeates everything - from clothing to airplane seats to personal attacks. It is the last group it is OK to hate on and make fun of outloud.

At least Big and Tall MEN have quality to choose from - women are forced into poly crap and horrible colors and aged styles.

Here is a link to one of the few "nice" large size clothing places:

Plus size clothes for women at Jessica London
I agree...but maybe people should use that as motivation to lose weight then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I hear ya. Youd think they would learn. Theres more of us normal peeps than there are scarecrows. And we gots more money. Truthfully tho now that Im older I shop a lot less cause I already have tons of stuff from when I worked. Mostly Im casual stuff now. Most of which I buy at SA or GW.

Ive always had a hard time even when I was thinner cause Im right on the edge. Normie stuff is too small and Plus is too big. Also Im tallish and long waisted. And Im curvey. Contrary to public opinion all large peeps arent short and squat wth no waist.

Ive learned to think outside the box. And it helps to have a good seamstress. When I was an engineer and wore suits I had a lot of stuff made or remade. For example a lot of short coats are too short for me so I buy regular length and have it hemmed to just where I want it.

Ive also bought mens suits and had them adjusted. Another thing Ive done is buy those sleeveless dresses that have a matching duster. Cut the dress off at the armpits and make a skirt out of it then the duster becomes your jacket. Hem it or not.

Never get hung up on size. I wear a 16/18 but Ive bought a 4x before if I need the extra for alterations. Also try to look at stuff for what it can be not what it is. Sometimes it just needs tweaked.

Right now Im more casual so Im wearing mostly mens shirts. Im sick of this shrunken stuff thats out there now. Seriously I dont care for most of whats out ther now so Im wearin what I got. Just because something is in style doesnt mean I have to wear it. I feel so sad for some of the young girls who are larger when I see them trying to dress like their thin friends and all their stuff is hangin out.
?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Yet another example - MEN get to order shirts by collar size and sleeve length - pants by waist AND inseam - women have to be proportional or they are SOL.

Heaven forbid if you are tall and chubby and female - NO pants are made for you.
I am very short and thin...and I will tell you, pants are not made for people like me either. Every pair of pants fits at the waist but the length is always waaaay too long. Most people in sizes 0 or 2 are not giants! It is time consuming and expensive to always have to get things altered.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Can you imagine how much money could be made if someone would just do up and down stripes? Those horizontal stripes are awful for almost all women.
not thin ones

Old 10-15-2009, 08:07 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,954,299 times
My best friend weighs 90lbs, on a "good day". She has a horrible time finding clothes that fit outside of the children's and junior miss departments. No one tells her to use that as motivation to eat more.

Though I do point out to her that obesity can take 70+ years to kill me, but I will most likely outlive her - she has a hole in her heart, osteoporosis, and numerous female problems that cause her horrible pain and thousands in medical bills each year, despite her insurance.

Of course, the difference being that I say these things to her out of love, not a judgemental bitter place caused by hunger and envy.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,525 posts, read 6,339,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I am very short and thin...and I will tell you, pants are not made for people like me either. Every pair of pants fits at the waist but the length is always waaaay too long. Most people in sizes 0 or 2 are not giants! It is time consuming and expensive to always have to get things altered.
Yes but you CAN take stuff in or shorten it. On the other hand if the fabrics not there youre SOL.

[quote=Jdawg8181;11208898]
Quote:

Ummm I hope youre here to show support and say its just as hard findin stuff on the end of the scale. Cause if youre not just remember we're bigger than you are. Im 5'10 and I have a large frame. Im not going to weigh 120 again unless Im on my death bed.

Quote:
?
Just sayin how I solved my personal fit problems. Others may have different solutions depending on height, weight and boobage.

I will be 60 on my BD. Im at at different place now style wise than when I worked and wore suits etc. I have a ton stuff left from my working days if I have a need to dress up. Thankfully most of its classic pieces that are still in style. I wouldnt wear a lot of whats out there now even if it did fit.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:07 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,052,664 times
Torrid stores have some pretty good stuff too. I've seen them in a few malls. Torrid.com - The Destination for Trendy Plus-size Fashion and Accessories

Old 10-17-2009, 09:38 PM

430 posts, read 1,313,848 times
Default What is up with tight sleeves?

I'm a womens size 20. I find it depressing that so much of womens clothes are black. I like color.

I find that I have to have my pants shortened because I am 2-3 inches to short for a regular, but to tall for a short or petite. I also have to wear belts or longer shirts because I have a waist. I always have a gap in the back, even if the waist is elastic. There is definitely a perception by clothes designers that if you are fat you are a barrel.

The other issue I find annoying is the sleeve width. I am so tired of having tight sleeves on a shirt that fits everywhere else.

I like Liz Clairbornes clothes. Most are good quality, some are not. It's hit or miss. I have lots of Coldwater Creek clothes. Every once in a while I find things as Kohls.

I'm sorry but most of Alfred Dunner and Koret for plus sizes are old lady like clothes. I find Dress Barn often is overpriced for the quality.

I find myself buying online a lot more. I buy from Lands End and Coldwater Creek online when they have sales.

I buy off season too. I have found some nice Nygard, Jones of New York, Ralph Lauren, Caribbean Joe, and Izod plus size clothes at Dillards and Macys.

It definitely takes work to dress nice in proper fitting clothes when you are a plus size.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:22 PM

[quote=Cecilia_Rose;11228887]Yes but you CAN take stuff in or shorten it. On the other hand if the fabrics not there youre SOL.

Quote:

Ummm I hope youre here to show support and say its just as hard findin stuff on the end of the scale. Cause if youre not just remember we're bigger than you are. Im 5'10 and I have a large frame. Im not going to weigh 120 again unless Im on my death bed.

Just sayin how I solved my personal fit problems. Others may have different solutions depending on height, weight and boobage.

I will be 60 on my BD. Im at at different place now style wise than when I worked and wore suits etc. I have a ton stuff left from my working days if I have a need to dress up. Thankfully most of its classic pieces that are still in style. I wouldnt wear a lot of whats out there now even if it did fit.
yes and it generally costs about $60 each time....

Old 05-01-2010, 12:04 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,865,084 times
[quote=Jdawg8181;11208898]
Quote:

Yes everyone yells at fat women to lose weight. Funny thing is its nearly impossible to find workout clothing in plus sizes. I guess you are suppose to work out in your underwear. So much for joining a gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty