Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,635 times

Advertisements

Most of the selection for plus sized clothing does suck! Say I'm looking for a dress,misses section has some cute ones but then I get to the plus size and there are only strange colored moo moos. So not cool but I guess this is the part where we establish a more fashionable line for plus sized women..who's up for that challenge? Lane Bryant has some decent picks but it seems like their 14 is muuuch bigger than the 14 I might want. lol. However I've been loosing weight now if I could get my feet to shrink down to a size 6 I'll be in the money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 06:38 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,550,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Sorry. Didnt mean to hurt your little feelings. Scarecrow might have been a little harsh. But yes what designers consider plus really is normal.
The average American woman wears a size 14 dress.
One-third of all American women wear a size 16 or larger.

The "ideal" woman--portrayed by models, Miss America, Barbie dolls, and screen actresses weighs 100 lbs, and wears a size 8.
My little feelings? Um ok. How would you like it if I called you names like fattie or moose? It's the same thing, but I would never do that.

And plus size might be AVERAGE, but it's *usually* not normal healthy weight. That's what I meant, like Julia said.

And no one who weighs 100 pounds is a size 8.

Also, I still have no idea what you meant by, "we gots more money than them.".

Last edited by sophialee; 05-05-2010 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-06-2010, 04:08 PM

27 posts, read 42,304 times
I have seen some hip stuff at: Torrid (in malls), Macy's, Kohls, Pennys.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:31 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,810,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
When I was plus size, the clothes I found in the stores were drab and looked like something my great grandmother wore back in her days.
Check out QVC.com
The prices are reasonable for the clothing and you'll have a choice of several colors most of the time. I think they go up to 3 or 4X and what I have ordered has been of good quality.
Speaking of jeans, wish someone would make jeans for middle aged ladies. The junior ones are too low cut on the hip and the missy ones come up to your neck. Okay, Im exaggerating but I want a pair of jeans that come to my natural waist and fit correctly. They seem to be making jeans for people that have the same waist, hip and thigh measurments.
I've always had a problem buying jeans (am also plus size) but found an absolutely PERFECT fitting pair last summer. They're not cheap ($108 at Nordstrom) but fit like a glove. Brand is Not Your Daughter's Jeans. They're a dark wash stretch jean and boot cut. They fit me at my waist without that annoying gap. They shortened them for free.

When you find a great fitting pair of jeans, you want more than one, so I splurged -- and then proceeded to gain 20 pounds so I can't even wear them (yet).

If you decide to check them out, the saleslady said to try them on one size smaller than you'd ordinarily wear because they will stretch.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,517 posts, read 6,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
My little feelings? Um ok. How would you like it if I called you names like fattie or moose? It's the same thing, but I would never do that.

And plus size might be AVERAGE, but it's *usually* not normal healthy weight. That's what I meant, like Julia said.

And no one who weighs 100 pounds is a size 8.

Also, I still have no idea what you meant by, "we gots more money than them.".
No you just come on a thread where larger people are discussing how hard it is to find clothes and choose to be offended when one of us says there are more of us. And actually I have been called a Moose and a Fattie. Several times. Besides dont you wear like a 2 or a 4 or something like that. Why do you even care about larger sizes.

I cant speak for average people cause I dont consider my self average. I do know that Im as healthy as a horse/moose.

You got me on the 100 pounds size 8. Its been a while since I wore a size 8 so I have no idea what the weight requirements are.

And us old fat chicks do have more money than the young skinny ones. Mostly cause we cant find any clothes to buy to spend it on.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:31 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,517 posts, read 6,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
I've heard the same thing too. What really makes no sense at all is how you can go into any clothing dept and only a tiny fraction of the space, maybe 2-3 racks is devoted to plus size clothes and 3/4 of the rest of ladies dept is in sizes 0-12. Seems like the retailers have it backwards. They could probably pull themselves out of a bad economy by stocking a load of nice plus size clothes. Women would swarm into the stores if they found out they could get their size.

And yes as a fattie I agree I need to lose weight. I only gained weight after extended illness, injury, taking prednisone and then not being able to exercise. I used to hike 5 miles a day! Well yeah I've lost 20 lbs but I'm still in plus sizes at the moment. It would be darn nice to be able to get some EXERCISE clothes in my size. Would be nice if companies like Addidas, Nike, Under Armour & Reebok would make us little tubbies something to work out in. I hate have to go to the men's dept to get a xxl item.
Youre probably right. And it doesnt matter why we're larger. We are and there's a lot of us and we need clothes.

And I wish they would make some exercise clothes for people with boobs.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:11 AM

58 posts, read 138,055 times
I ' m don't agree your idea,because I see some plus size clothe 's quality is also very good

Old 06-15-2011, 07:41 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,418,675 times
I apologize, I haven't read through all of these pages so it may have already been mentioned...a plus size friend of mine always looks so put together and fashionable. I know she buys a lot of her clothes from Emme's line of clothing (remember her? the plus sized model) on QVC. She wears some really cute stuff, to the point where some of it I wish was available in standard sizes so I could wear it!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:08 PM

672 posts, read 2,113,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm not talking moo-moos or aprons...I mean clothes like shirts, blouses, dresses, whatever.

I have been plus size (on the low end) for years but finding NICE clothes in natural fibers that don't break the bank is very difficult.

Recently I had to go get a few things and it took me forever. I wound up at Kmart buying a few items from the Jackelyn Smith collection.

Where do you plus ladies buy your clothes? What are your thoughts on quality?
Personally I hate artificial fabrics like polyester and so on.

I order from Woman Within (Lane Bryant) sometimes and they have a good choice of casual things but often it's hard to buy this way (if it doesn't fit you have to reship it back...).
For casual basics in natural fibers, I like LL Bean. Just recently, they started offering free shipping on all orders! That's great and if you use their card, there's free return shipping too. There are always sales going on.

LL Bean Women's Plus Size Clothing

Last edited by Mary Ann789; 06-15-2011 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-15-2011, 01:16 PM

672 posts, read 2,113,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Youre probably right. And it doesnt matter why we're larger. We are and there's a lot of us and we need clothes.

And I wish they would make some exercise clothes for people with boobs.
I swear by the Moving Comfort Fiona bra. It helps with compression and holding everything still while running. Plus, it helps exercise tank tops fit me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty