Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 12:10 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,655,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I am an XL and buy most of my clothers at ColdWaterCreek.com. They have a multitude of sizes from petite to 4W. Their clothers are well made, fashionable, and beautiful. They have a multitude of stores throughout the USA. And if you order something the stores do not have, they sent it to you free-of-charge.

They also have a catalog you can order from. The secret is: If you see something that you like, wait until it goes on sale. They also have a HUGE outlet on line.
I like ColdWater Creek, their styles are nice and material is better quality, better made. But still a fair price. I sometimes go online to Roaman's, they have regular and plus sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 07:21 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,323,938 times
To the OP...for the same reason that TALL clothes are CRAP! Actually, I really think that FINALLY they are coming around. Starting to see a little better design and quality, but it is SLOWW in getting here!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:31 AM

750 posts, read 1,436,176 times
[quote=mtneer;13985002]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Yes everyone yells at fat women to lose weight. Funny thing is its nearly impossible to find workout clothing in plus sizes. I guess you are suppose to work out in your underwear. So much for joining a gym.
Agree completely! And gyms are SOOOOO welcoming to fat people, even if they do manage to find workout clothes that are comfortable, aren't they? Want to feel completely degraded, awful and ashamed? The gym's the place for you! How motivating!

I did Curves, but it got to be expensive and tedious. I also read up on the founder of Curves and wasn't impressed with his views on women's issues.

So I bought some equipment (garage sales are full of exercise machines and dumbbells) and put it in a spare room. A fitness savvy friend taught me some basic moves. Now I crank up the tunes and do my own routines. No personal trainer or fitness center is getting rich off my weight loss. What a concept! It's working, too!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:38 AM

750 posts, read 1,436,176 times
Forgot to mention plus-size clothes. Check out Travel Smith, Coldwater Creek and Drapers and Damons. Nice, well made clothes. They have great sales. Norm Thompson usually has good, stylish plus size things but their prices can be too high for the quality.

I've had bad luck with Roamans and Woman Within. Cheaply made stuff. Some fell apart when I washed them. A couple of things were so stinky (I mean really smelled awful when you opened the mail order package) that I sent them back.

If you're plus sized, you almost have to bite the bullet and buy fewer, but higher priced items in order to get good quality fabric and construction.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:51 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,568,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Theres more of us normal peeps than there are scarecrows. And we gots more money.
So now plus size is "normal" and if you aren't plus size you're a "scarecrow"? And poor to boot? Who knew?

Old 05-01-2010, 11:15 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,738,234 times
August Max Woman is good. Talbots, maybe. You can find them at stores like Mervyns Ross, Marshall's TJ Max. Kohls has plus size Ralph Lauren Chaps. That's good for well made tailored basics. The specialty stores like Avenue and Lane Bryant can be a little pricey, but it IS a specialty store, they're almost always cost more. I think there's a company called Roman's. And try Spiegel. As you can see from the list, a lot of choices for plus size women's clothes, but for quality, you'll have to put forth a bit more effort in the search.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:27 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,864,398 times
There's not a Meryns or TJ Max here. I've never found plus size clothes at Ross or Marshalls myself. I've gotten a few things from Roamans and Woman Within but I waste more money there because its sized so weird so most items I order need to be returned. None of it is consistent. They also have a tendency to make all their shirts super long and not all plus size women are tall. Some of us are very short and they don't make the shirts in petite sizes only the pants. A lot of their styles are ugly, gawdy, out of fashion and overly casual. Many of the shirts are low scoop necked and those kinds go down below my bosom being a short woman. So I find very little I can ever wear other than knit crewnecks and pants which makes me look slouchy. The Junonia shirts are the same way and much of their stuff is nasty neon colors no one wears or else styled for a 60 yr old, plus much of it falls apart after a couple washings and is super expensive to boot.

I used to get a lot of items from Lands End but in recent years their styles, colors and selection have gone downhill. They've also gone to more fitted clothes which look horrible on me because being short I don't have normal proportions for a woman even when I was skinny.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:37 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,567,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
There's not a Meryns or TJ Max here. I've never found plus size clothes at Ross or Marshalls myself. I've gotten a few things from Roamans and Woman Within but I waste more money there because its sized so weird so most items I order need to be returned. None of it is consistent. They also have a tendency to make all their shirts super long and not all plus size women are tall. Some of us are very short and they don't make the shirts in petite sizes only the pants. A lot of their styles are ugly, gawdy, out of fashion and overly casual. Many of the shirts are low scoop necked and those kinds go down below my bosom being a short woman. So I find very little I can ever wear other than knit crewnecks and pants which makes me look slouchy. The Junonia shirts are the same way and much of their stuff is nasty neon colors no one wears or else styled for a 60 yr old, plus much of it falls apart after a couple washings and is super expensive to boot.

I used to get a lot of items from Lands End but in recent years their styles, colors and selection have gone downhill. They've also gone to more fitted clothes which look horrible on me because being short I don't have normal proportions for a woman even when I was skinny.

Try Ashley Stewart - stylish and good quality. My sister buys tons of stuff from this store and there have even been times when I wished that they had items in smaller sizes.

Plus Size Clothing | Plus Sizes for Full Figured Women – Ashley Stewart (http://www.ashleystewart.com/ashleystewart/index.jsp - broken link)

or

http://www.gaylabentley.com/shop/

or

Invest in items from Neiman Marcua

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...Id=cat17740747

Last edited by calipoppy; 05-01-2010 at 04:47 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 06:46 AM

796 posts, read 1,846,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I hear ya. Youd think they would learn. Theres more of us normal peeps than there are scarecrows. And we gots more money. Truthfully tho now that Im older I shop a lot less cause I already have tons of stuff from when I worked. Mostly Im casual stuff now. Most of which I buy at SA or GW.

Ive always had a hard time even when I was thinner cause Im right on the edge. Normie stuff is too small and Plus is too big. Also Im tallish and long waisted. And Im curvey. Contrary to public opinion all large peeps arent short and squat wth no waist.

Ive learned to think outside the box. And it helps to have a good seamstress. When I was an engineer and wore suits I had a lot of stuff made or remade. For example a lot of short coats are too short for me so I buy regular length and have it hemmed to just where I want it.

Ive also bought mens suits and had them adjusted. Another thing Ive done is buy those sleeveless dresses that have a matching duster. Cut the dress off at the armpits and make a skirt out of it then the duster becomes your jacket. Hem it or not.

Never get hung up on size. I wear a 16/18 but Ive bought a 4x before if I need the extra for alterations. Also try to look at stuff for what it can be not what it is. Sometimes it just needs tweaked.

Right now Im more casual so Im wearing mostly mens shirts. Im sick of this shrunken stuff thats out there now. Seriously I dont care for most of whats out ther now so Im wearin what I got. Just because something is in style doesnt mean I have to wear it. I feel so sad for some of the young girls who are larger when I see them trying to dress like their thin friends and all their stuff is hangin out.
Totally agree....I knew a girl who was probably a size 16-18...she always had her clothes tailored or custom-made. She looked incredible all the time. She had her pick of the guys because (1) she was gorgeous and had a great personality; and (2) her confidence was incredibly amazing and very attractive.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:26 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,524 posts, read 6,338,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
So now plus size is "normal" and if you aren't plus size you're a "scarecrow"? And poor to boot? Who knew?
Sorry. Didnt mean to hurt your little feelings. Scarecrow might have been a little harsh. But yes what designers consider plus really is normal.
The average American woman wears a size 14 dress.
One-third of all American women wear a size 16 or larger.

The "ideal" woman--portrayed by models, Miss America, Barbie dolls, and screen actresses weighs 100 lbs, and wears a size 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty