Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:35 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,027,592 times

Advertisements

Sorry bout that.....here you go.

SKORCH MAGAZINE | Welcome Sexy

Svoboda style by Jessica Svoboda, Plus size jeans, tops, clothing with fun, sexy fashion forward designs

Abby Z: Home Page

Here is an interview with some of the founders of skorch.
YouTube - Summer Fashion for Plus Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Monifc.com.....I personally thought everything was BEYOND hideous..I guess to each his own!
The lin skorch.com...it is some music web-site.

Last edited by Bjones1976; 10-15-2007 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 01:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,321,245 times
The problem with the fashion industry is the coutier clothing fitd Junior 2--5, and rack garments area made for 34-24-34. Medium to expenive clothing is cut fuller, from better material, sewen with better thread, and constructed with much better techiniques. It looks better, it feels better and it lasts longer. This is why the $25 Egyptian rain coat that Alde's grocery stores sold is superior to the $40 jacke from China that Walmart sells.

My mother was a tailor.

The difference in pattern size from 12 to 14 is 1/4 inch. It's the same 1/4 inch difference in even the largest pattern sizes. Mens jackets are constructed differently than womens jackets from collar to hem starting with a better fabric.

The problem with assembly line womens clothing is the manucaturer does not take into account that some women wear a 44D bra, nor do they care.. The bottom line is if your figure is not balanced you have two choices. Buy larger and have it tailored to fit or sew your own.

Women can buy very good quality clothing at a fraction of the marked price at end of season sales. The trick is to NOT buy fad clothing. Instead buy the jackets, skirts, dresses and pants that have the classic - never out of style cut and feel. It will stll look new and fashionable five years later.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:56 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,875,021 times
Shop at better stores with better quality

Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,860,172 times
I don't buy a lot of clothes, and what I do buy tends toward casual. I mail order from: Territory Ahead, Orvis, Coldwater Creek, Norm Thompson, Woolrich, outdoor stuff at Cabela's.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 AM

42,000 posts, read 75,358,725 times
I was out of plus sizes for awhile, then went back into them, and now am out of them again. I was horrified, when I went back to plus sizes, at how the quality of the clothing had deteriorated. I had been buying a lot of my clothes at Target, Fashion Bug and Kohl's, and when I went back to those stores after re-gaining some weight, nothing fit right, the fabric was cheap and thin, and the variety was not what it had been just five or so years before. I started buying all my clothes via LL Bean or Lands End.

And now I still do, because so much stuff in stores is overpriced crap, no matter what size you wear!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,452,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I was out of plus sizes for awhile, then went back into them, and now am out of them again. I was horrified, when I went back to plus sizes, at how the quality of the clothing had deteriorated. I had been buying a lot of my clothes at Target, Fashion Bug and Kohl's, and when I went back to those stores after re-gaining some weight, nothing fit right, the fabric was cheap and thin, and the variety was not what it had been just five or so years before. I started buying all my clothes via LL Bean or Lands End.

And now I still do, because so much stuff in stores is overpriced crap, no matter what size you wear!
LL Bean offers so little plus-size clothing now. It's heart-breaking - I used to depend on them.
Lands End - I hadn't ordered from them for a year or two, and this past summer I ordered a couple of tops. I was very surprised! The quality was excellent (especially considering that they're now owned by Sears). I also ordered shorts. I may order some cashmere from them for winter. My only beef with them is that they run out of sizes, but don't bother to put that in their catalogs. When you go online to order, they're out. So order early.

You might also try Eddie Bauer. I order one size up, though. Haven't tried any pants or jeans, just tops.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:52 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,321,245 times
Sears still has plus sizes. I am still able to buy the 100% cotton clothing I must wear. Its ugly. I wish I could still see to sew.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:38 AM

359 posts, read 1,145,723 times
Love Ashley Stewart.... just my two cents

Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,953,107 times
I shop mostly online... Woman Within, Just My Size and Roamans. They now offer reviews, which are sometimes very helpful.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:33 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,860,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I shop mostly online... Woman Within, Just My Size and Roamans. They now offer reviews, which are sometimes very helpful.
I was really unhappy with the quality of a skirt and a blouse I got from Woman Within, and while what I bought wasn't expensive, the material was poor, the snap on the skirt broke after about two wearings and the seams on the shirt started unraveling after one wash.

They also spam (email and print catalog) like nothing else. When I did my first order, I inadvertently misspelled my first name, so it's easy to see who they sold my name to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty