Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,914,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not always. In inner city groceries, the food is more expensive but of worse quality. Crappier food costs more in this case.
i meant within any given store. the healthy food you can purchase will cost more than the unhealthy food. you get more "bang" for your buck with the processed food.

store inequities/food deserts in poor areas is another compounding issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 09:32 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,914,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
But shopping smart takes time and know how and so does figuring out how to turn that food into a meal. I think a lot of people are under the impression that their time is too valuable to waste on cooking.
i think that cooking is a skill that many people no longer have. my mother knows how to open a can of whatever and heat it up, that's it. i know how to cook because i put a lot of effort in to teach myself. IMO teaching kids how to cook and create balanced meals is very important and a skill that many kids miss out on.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:58 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,670,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
i meant within any given store. the healthy food you can purchase will cost more than the unhealthy food. you get more "bang" for your buck with the processed food.
Understood.

Quote:
store inequities/food deserts in poor areas is another compounding issue.

All true.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:31 AM

517 posts, read 999,905 times
personally I just like a guy equal to myself in appearance. I happen to be emaciatedly skinny. So I like guys slimmer. I just like don't get how the media accepts fat men when it's less acceptable than bigger women. To me bigger women have more room as their frames are made for that and guys aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
I LOATHE people who think this way. Another freaking way to project another double standard

"Men shouldn't be under 5'8, it's okay for a woman to be short"
"A woman can be a "BBW" and be beautiful. Men not so much"
"I know I live in the projects, but my man HAS to have a car and make over 60K"

I am not fat and never have been, nor have I even had a gut, but I remember getting annoyed in my 20s when I'd see fat women complain about how mean men are with regards to a woman's weight, but they will be the first to shoot down a heavy set, stocky or guy w/a beer belly

I female friends that fall into the big category and I've seen them shoot down men cold for even having a bit of a gut, let alone being fat, even if the woman is like one of my freinds who is 5'4/280lbs

What's worse is this post using "science" to justify why it is okay for her to be big and not for a guy. DISGUSTING!

Reminds me of those dating profiles I come across (usually women who've viewed me) where the woman says "I know I might be a big girl, but I don't do big men", or "I'm big so I have to have a skinny guy", "real men like curves", "i may be fat, but my men have to be athletic, sorry".

Like WTF does that mean?

You're entitled to your preferences, but the double standards are insane, and people actually buy into the crap.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:38 AM

I hear a lot of larger women are actually flat chested but have large chests due to weight gain. Or other parts weight gain can really change body shape...

Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
personally I just like a guy equal to myself in appearance. I happen to be emaciatedly skinny. So I like guys slimmer. I just like don't get how the media accepts fat men when it's less acceptable than bigger women. To me bigger women have more room as their frames are made for that and guys aren't.
What media are these?

And what does "it's less acceptable than bigger women" mean?

I don't understand.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:22 PM

on tv and the like fat men are more acceptable.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
on tv and the like fat men are more acceptable.
Really? I don't see that fat people of either gender are particularly well accepted.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:42 PM

not as the hottie or w.e. But they're there. Also fat for a women is not perceived the same with guys they give them room.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:46 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,452,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I am quite sure I have read that if you do not eat the proper amount of calories, ie your example of eating no calories and you will lose weight, your body begins to store fat.

I have gained weight and I am eating less than normal because due to a health problem, I am not able to get around like I should as well as have had to be put on steroids.

I think your post is actually the ridiculous one.
Me thinks someone is not well versed in Thermo and Physiology.
You did state your condition, but a sample size of one only demonstrates existence, and since all variables have not been taken into account, demonstrates nothing.

Quote:"ie your example of eating no calories and you will lose weight, your body begins to store fat"

Please explain to me how you can store fat, if you are (at the extreme) consuming no calories? Where is that fat coming from that your body 'stores'?
If I could invent a person/device that required no caloric/energy input, then I have invented the perpetual motion machine.

Quote:"I think your post is actually the ridiculous one."

Go read Nature magazine, and after a few years, come back and read these posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty