Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,378,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Quote:"A variety of hormonal problems can cause people to get fat in spite of a rigorous exercise regime. Thyroid is the most obvious. There can be all kinds of hormonal imbalances and other medical conditions that cause fat buildup"

This is ridiculous... ever read the laws of Thermodynamics? First, look at the extremes; if you eat 1M Calories a day, you will gain weight. If you eat zero Calories a day, you will lose weight. (unless Rudolf Clausius was wrong, NOT), so somewhere between 1M an 0 Calories a day you will be able to maintain a healthy weight. Simple enough.
I am quite sure I have read that if you do not eat the proper amount of calories, ie your example of eating no calories and you will lose weight, your body begins to store fat.

I have gained weight and I am eating less than normal because due to a health problem, I am not able to get around like I should as well as have had to be put on steroids.

I think your post is actually the ridiculous one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 AM

72 posts, read 205,510 times
If you dont eat enough, your body goes into "survival mode" and you won't lose weight.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,786,145 times
It seems like there hasn't been much mention of the relationship between weight and class. In American society today, the heaviest people are associated with poverty and a low level of education while people who are thin or fit are perceived as people who can afford to eat healthfully and have the time and means to exercise regularly.

I've always thought this was sadly ironic, the idea that "I'm too poor to be thin". You'd think having less money to spend on food would mean eating less, but somehow this is not the case.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:28 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,903,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
It seems like there hasn't been much mention of the relationship between weight and class. In American society today, the heaviest people are associated with poverty and a low level of education while people who are thin or fit are perceived as people who can afford to eat healthfully and have the time and means to exercise regularly.

I've always thought this was sadly ironic, the idea that "I'm too poor to be thin". You'd think having less money to spend on food would mean eating less, but somehow this is not the case.
Very true. In some ways I personally feel like I need to lose weight in order to "fit in" to my social class!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:52 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,914,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

it's not volume, it's quality. crappier food costs less and stores better.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:19 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,378,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
^^^^This^^^^^ For some reason, healthier food is more expensive. I have no idea why. When my kids were young, I did not have a lot of money and was buying a lot of the processed inexpensive food. Now I stay away from all of that for the most part.....

Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 PM

5 posts, read 4,239 times
I think SOME people see fat women unattractive due to the influence we tend to capture from the media (eg. magazines, fashion tv). Those platforms use pictures of thin/sexy women in their skimpy bikini therefore instilling a concept in us that these types of bodies are attractive. But I say, voluptuous women are attractive too and some men are into voluptuous women.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,670,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
Not always. In inner city groceries, the food is more expensive but of worse quality. Crappier food costs more in this case.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 AM

29,752 posts, read 34,422,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
^^^^This^^^^^ For some reason, healthier food is more expensive. I have no idea why. When my kids were young, I did not have a lot of money and was buying a lot of the processed inexpensive food. Now I stay away from all of that for the most part.....
And healthier food is usually more difficult or time consuming to prepare, and it goes bad faster. A pint of strawberries may get mushy after a day or two and need to be washed and cut up (sometimes,) but some fruit roll-ups are good right out of the package and will last through a nuclear winter.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,786,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And healthier food is usually more difficult or time consuming to prepare, and it goes bad faster. A pint of strawberries may get mushy after a day or two and need to be washed and cut up (sometimes,) but some fruit roll-ups are good right out of the package and will last through a nuclear winter.
I don't think healthier food is necessarily more expensive, but I agree that it is definitely a commitment of time, the time to cook and the time to going to the grocer on a regular basis. You can shop smart, looking for sales, coupons, buying dried or can goods in bulk and freezing the things that won't keep and only buying fresh produce that is in season.

But shopping smart takes time and know how and so does figuring out how to turn that food into a meal. I think a lot of people are under the impression that their time is too valuable to waste on cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty