Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 01:32 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,142,898 times

Advertisements

For the beach yes, anywhere else. No. Saw one guy this past summer wearing Capri pants WITH Sandals. it was a tad feminine. Yesterday on the subway the guy next to me had sandals with toenails that looked like eagle talons. At least keep the dogs neat if your going to go out in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,202,972 times
In and around Chicago, from my obersvation, it is far more popular amongst young white men/males than young black men/males. I don't wear flip flops, but I do have a pair of sandals(almost always wear them with socks in public).

Old 10-17-2011, 01:47 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,311,478 times
I think it's been 3-4 moths since I wore anything but flip flops (aside from hiking/working out). Why do you need any other type of shoe?

Flip flops are acceptable enough here that you could go to pretty much any restaurant with $40-50 dollar dishes on the menu and be just fine.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:52 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,940 times
Sandals have been around forever and men will continue to wear them. Trying to argue differently seems futile and juvenile. Anyone who thinks that sandals are gay has a lot of self-work to do. Wearing sandals is nothing like wearing more than one belt or those tight pants.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:22 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Must be a regional difference, I grew up on the east coast as a teenager in the '70's, and I NEVER saw guys wearing flip flops. No guy I knew would have been caught dead in them, not even at the pool or the beach.

Sandals and flip-flops area sissy.
really, I was born a Brooklyn boy since the day the first brick was laid, boys wore flip flops in the summer, it was never a big deal. I don't know where you were from??

Old 10-18-2011, 07:38 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Guys wear flip flops now a lot more because it is a fad. Evidence is them wearing them when it is cold or damp. It's the thing to wear unless it is snowing. It's particularly ugly when they have pasty legs with circular indentations (edema) around where their socks were an hour earlier before they changed out of their work clothes.

Same with tatoos. Guys with tatoos on their arms will wear tank tops when it is 39F outside - otherwise, nobody would see their tatoos.

Conformity is more important than reason sometimes.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 PM

27 posts, read 62,691 times
As a kid in the seventies, in Washington DC, sandals weren't rare at all, and one would often see them on adults. Even tough guys wore them. Flip flops are a beach thing as far as I remember, and i haven't seen much digression from that to date. As a kid, they were almost a vacation novelty item. i spent a lot of time in Treasure Island, Florida, so I had a few pairs over the years.

I never had a proper pair of sandals, but I would wear the right pair. I don't think my girlfriend would dig it though.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,325,103 times
sandals in the summer cuz its too hot. nothing wrong with sandals, i dont care if people are offended by my large, hairy, veiny feet.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 PM

27 posts, read 62,691 times
When it comes to how my feet look... eh, whatever. I walk around with no shoes at all a lot of the time when it is warm. I find the "need" for shoes to be very bizarre.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
I wear Sketcher's water shoes about anytime its above freezing. Its great,looks like sandals has toe protection, can be worn in water or splashing thru rain puddles.
They are awesome hiking shoes too as they bend on a rock and grab traction.
http://trafficshoes.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Skechers-Mens-Journey-Water-and-Trail-Shoe.jpg (broken link)

Its not a fad or trend but wearing sandals, flip flops or water shoes is just a way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty