Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 PM

46 posts, read 127,709 times

Advertisements

I'm a guy and bought my first ever pair of flip flops in the spring. I found them to be comfortable but couldn't bring myself to wear them to get togethers, barbeques, etc. I had no problem wearing them around the house or a quick trip to the gas station where I wasn't likely to run into anyone I know.

Nothing really wrong with my feet....just kinda shy about showing off my feet around people I know (family, friends, acquaintences, etc) although I don't have a problem wearing shorts. Ladies...if you had a relative or friend who never wore flip flops or sandals before, and all of a sudden started wearing them, what would you think? Do you think they make a guy look lazy, sloppy, or girly? Are there sandals that would be a better alternative?

Last edited by meijer6464; 10-13-2010 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 12:31 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,056 times
I lived in Florida for nearly a decade. Flip flops were standard attire. I saw one couple wear them at their wedding.
Fashion is man made. Wear what makes YOU comfortable and to heck with what popularity or fashion dictates as "acceptable".

People used to think bell bottoms were a good thing, fer Christs sake.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:48 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Ladies...if you had a relative or friend who never wore flip flops or sandals before, and all of a sudden started wearing them, what would you think?
I probably wouldn't notice. I hate flip-flops, so I don't wear them. If you like them, wear them. If not, don't. It's not that complicated.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
I wear them for running errands and stuff, but I don't wear them out to dinner, to parties, to work, etc. Mine are really cute. I have them in many different colors and I stone mine with Swarovski crystals. Hey, I'm a Ballroom Diva ... whatdaya expect!!!

Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,119 times
It's fine to wear flip flops in the summer to social occassions (like barbeques) but imho it looks unkempt to wear them when you're hanging out with a lot of people and it's not brutally hot out. I don't have a problem seeing guys with flip flops on if it looks like they just ran out of the house for a few minutes to take care of something quickly--or if they're at the beach, of course. Otherwise, I prefer guys to stick to loafers, sneakers, and oxfords. Oh, and boots of course!

Last edited by Kristin85; 10-13-2010 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-14-2010, 06:18 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
I think that kind of footwear is for beachy zones only. Make sure you ask an honest gal you know if your feet are "flip flop groomed" enough if you want to wear them out. I really don't like anything that shoes feet as most people's feet are not pretty. But its just nasty when someone has poorly groomed toenails or out of control foot hair that is just too hobbit-esque.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
It's fine to wear flip flops in the summer to social occassions (like barbeques) but imho it looks unkempt to wear them when you're hanging out with a lot of people and it's not brutally hot out. I don't have a problem seeing guys with flip flops on if it looks like they just ran out of the house for a few minutes to take care of something quickly--or if they're at the beach, of course. Otherwise, I prefer guys to stick to loafers, sneakers, and oxfords. Oh, and boots of course!
Do you think sneakers look okay with cargo shorts? This is what I've always worn but I had a conversation with one girl who told me that wearing sneakers with tube socks is kinda dorky. She recomended "white gym shoes with low cut socks or better yet, flip flops". I'm not a fan of loafers or oxfords. Boots are fine in the winter but I won't wear them with shorts.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I think that kind of footwear is for beachy zones only. Make sure you ask an honest gal you know if your feet are "flip flop groomed" enough if you want to wear them out. I really don't like anything that shoes feet as most people's feet are not pretty. But its just nasty when someone has poorly groomed toenails or out of control foot hair that is just too hobbit-esque.
I don't have anything like that wrong with my feet, probably because I wear shoes and/or socks 95% of the time. I'm sure they would probably get rough if I wore flip flops everyday for months at a time. I have asked some female friends and most of them prefer to see guys wearing flip flops with shorts in the summer (or at least say they do)....but these are mainly 20 somethings and I'm pushing 30 now so I don't know if that's good advice. I find them comfortable but I also find sweat pants comfortable and I won't wear them in public. Lots of 20 somethings are wearing flip flops these days. Is this just a passing fad or are they here to stay?

Old 10-15-2010, 01:20 AM

1 posts, read 13,935 times
How do you get rid of the fear of heights? Start at less populated areas and move on to malls, etc. I personally love flip flops, they're my favorite, they let my feet breathe, but occasionally my feet do get dirty like if i've been walking on the beach or something, but if you try to stay away from getting dirt on your sandals you should be ok. They might take some time to get used to, they might feel awkward at first because your not used to them, but give it a few days to adjust also, as you wear them they start to form to your foot so they also become easier to walk in.

Samrx[dot]com

Old 10-15-2010, 05:51 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meijer6464 View Post
I'm a guy and bought my first ever pair of flip flops in the spring. I found them to be comfortable but couldn't bring myself to wear them to get togethers, barbeques, etc. I had no problem wearing them around the house or a quick trip to the gas station where I wasn't likely to run into anyone I know.

Nothing really wrong with my feet....just kinda shy about showing off my feet around people I know (family, friends, acquaintences, etc) although I don't have a problem wearing shorts. Ladies...if you had a relative or friend who never wore flip flops or sandals before, and all of a sudden started wearing them, what would you think? Do you think they make a guy look lazy, sloppy, or girly? Are there sandals that would be a better alternative?
What would I think? Nothing. I don't pay that much attention to what other people choose to wear....unless it's to the extreme....

You like the flip flops...wear them and have a good time.

Realize that most people are much more concerned about themselves than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty