Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:34 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times

Advertisements

What do you wear more often, sandals or flip flops? I like sandals but I find flip flops very uncomfortable if I actually have to walk anywhere.

I say, just wear what you want and don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 07:18 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,673,430 times
i live in flip flops for the majority of the year. but thats what happens when you live in a casual beach town in the south. I have 2 light weight pairs of tennis shoes for other times (im not a shoe person, obviously, i go barefoot when i can get away with it ) I found the lightest sneakers i could- one is a new balance pair of dance sneaker, the others are little keds slip on leather mules.

my hubby decided to buy a pair of flip flops and we both broke out in hysterics when he put them on- it just looked so.... WRONG on him LOL. he only wears them in the yard but plenty of guys wear flip flops and look fine- they just looked odd on HIM

wear what you want and are comfortable in. no one cares other than you....

Old 02-13-2011, 07:59 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Perhaps you SHOULD be shy about wearing flip flops or sandals in public. I see no need for them - especially flop flops, on all but the warmest of days. For the beach or pool.

As far as the baring of feet, I think there should be a license to do so! Half kidding, but some people walk around with disgusting, ungroomed feet and are not at all self conscious about it!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:18 AM

46 posts, read 127,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkid1000 View Post
Sandals are a great thing, embrace them and enjoy the freedom they provide. Don't be embarrassed to be seen in public wearing sandals. Who cares what you wear, the only one who really cares is obviously YOU! Get over the stigma you have developed and bare your toes. Try a nice pair of leather fisherman-style sandals if thong sandals present too much of an issue for you. Just a tip...open-toe sandals are more appropriate for men during the hot summer months, whereas a closed-toe sandal looks too formal to wear with shorts or even dress jeans. Just a suggestion
I thought about buying the fisherman style sandals but someone told me they're mainly for older guys so I passed on them. Most of the guys in my my age range are wearing flip flops or the leather slip on sandals. It doesn't bother me to wear flip flops when taking a quick trip to the store, just feel funny wearing them around people I know....crazy I know. The fisherman sandal does sound like a good way to ease into flip flops though. Are they comfortable? Any recommendations? (name brand, etc) It's difficult finding sandals that are comfortable and look halfway decent.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
What do you wear more often, sandals or flip flops? I like sandals but I find flip flops very uncomfortable if I actually have to walk anywhere.

I say, just wear what you want and don't worry about it.
I usually wear gym shoes since I'm shy about baring my toes. They're comfortable...but not as comfortable as a good pair of sandals or flip flops. I do agree that the flip flops do tend to get uncomfortable after doing a lot of walking.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijer6464 View Post
I usually wear gym shoes since I'm shy about baring my toes. They're comfortable...but not as comfortable as a good pair of sandals or flip flops. I do agree that the flip flops do tend to get uncomfortable after doing a lot of walking.
I'm actually a big fan of gym shoes. When I'm outside of work, that's what I wear most of the time.

I find flip flops very uncomfortable if there's any real walking involved. I wear them from the car to the beach, and that's about it. I think they look foolish with long pants and OK with shorts, but that's just an opinion. I just don't find them comfortable.

As for sandals, they offer more support, but for some reason, I don't find them particularly comfortable either. The strap seems to dig into my foot, so I'm never quite comfortable when wearing them.

So I stick with gym shoes unless I'm going to the beach, mostly. And I don't see anything wrong with gym shoes, BTW. Nothing at all. If that's what you like, keep wearing them.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Perhaps you SHOULD be shy about wearing flip flops or sandals in public. I see no need for them - especially flop flops, on all but the warmest of days. For the beach or pool.
LOL this type of thinking is why I usually don't wear sandals. You still think it's a bad idea even if the feet are in decent shape?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
As far as the baring of feet, I think there should be a license to do so! Half kidding, but some people walk around with disgusting, ungroomed feet and are not at all self conscious about it!
Yes! Disgusting feet should be covered

Old 02-13-2011, 11:36 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,123 times
Out here in southern AZ flip flops and sandals are what most people wear most of the time - at least under the age of 50. It is just more comfortable.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meijer6464 View Post
LOL this type of thinking is why I usually don't wear sandals. You still think it's a bad idea even if the feet are in decent shape?

Yes! Disgusting feet should be covered
If you are looking closely enough at other people's feet to be able to tell they're disgusting, then you're probably looking too closely.

We Americans have this weird puritanical streak and seem to hate the human body. It shows up everywhere in this forum, from the talk about how hairy male legs are gross to the talk about refusing to even change in a gym locker room. I'm not exactly an exhibitionist myself, but I find the idea that the body should always be covered up to the maximum extent possible to be a little strange.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I'm actually a big fan of gym shoes. When I'm outside of work, that's what I wear most of the time.

I find flip flops very uncomfortable if there's any real walking involved. I wear them from the car to the beach, and that's about it. I think they look foolish with long pants and OK with shorts, but that's just an opinion. I just don't find them comfortable.
Some people wear flip flops all the time in the summer, even if they do a lot of walking. Not sure how they do it. Maybe the pricier ones can handle more walking? I agree that flip flops look foolish with long pants, at least on guys.

Quote:
As for sandals, they offer more support, but for some reason, I don't find them particularly comfortable either. The strap seems to dig into my foot, so I'm never quite comfortable when wearing them.
I think they're pretty comfortable, as are flip flops, if there isn't a lot of walking involved. It's tough finding sandals that can handle a lot of walking and look halfway decent.

Quote:
So I stick with gym shoes unless I'm going to the beach, mostly. And I don't see anything wrong with gym shoes, BTW. Nothing at all. If that's what you like, keep wearing them.
I like gym shoes until it starts to get too warm. Sandals are lighter and allow the feet to breathe. They're also more convenient (easy to slip on, don't have to deal with socks, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty