Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 08:40 PM

46 posts, read 127,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Flip flops are for the beach.
And nowhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
The real problem with flip-flops, as I understand it, is that they cause a LOT of car accidents. Don't wear them when you drive; they tend to get caught up in the mat or pedal and you can hurt yourself or someone else.

If you google "flip-flops car accidents" you'll get a lot of horrific stories. I saw a tv program and the police have to deal with this all the time.
Wow didn't think of that. Maybe sandals are better?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
That was humorous. I think it really depends on the settings. College age preppy kids are definitely going to be wearing sandals but most likely also know how to dress appropriately for different occasions. I am sure this was targeted at other segments of society and rings true!
Yeah college is a totally different setting and you can probably get away with wearing pajamas to class. I didn't start wearing flip flops until years after I left college, and there's a lingering feeling that I'm being looked down upon in public (esp among males and older people) because of my choice in footwear. Maybe it's an irrational feeling, but it's there, even though I did get compliments from a couple female acquaintances. Seems that younger 20 something women are more accepting of the flip flops

Old 10-23-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
I'd walk around barefoot. MY feet are healthy and always clean. If I were in a city, and my feet were dirty, I would find a fountain, and rinse them clean. If I were to go to somone's home, I would use the garden house to rinse my feet, dry them off, and then walk around the house barefoot. There is nothing more refreshing, and a great feeling of freedom, to lose the shoes!
So you walk down city sidewalks barefoot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
I don't normally go to the city in flip flops since it would be a bit dangerous. But when the weather is right, above 60 F, I go to sandals and barefoot as often as I can.
60 is a little too chilly for me, I usually wait until it hits 75 or so

Old 10-25-2010, 07:38 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meijer6464 View Post
Wow didn't think of that. Maybe sandals are better?

Yeah, the issue of driving with flip-flops is very, very serious. Don't do it. I mean, period. You cannot control the situation if they slip around or something odd happens. On the other hand, I can't image why anyone would care or look down on someone if they wear them; I just think you have to use common sense and be dressed appropriately, especially if your job would depend on it.

I would think the biggest issue is that your feet are clean and your nails done. I hate, hate hate..men with long toenails. ewwwweeeee

Old 10-25-2010, 08:29 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,887,513 times
Honestly, I only wear flip-flops when I'm going swimming at the pool, going to the beach, or around the house.

I prefer regular sandals when I go shopping, out of town, etc. Doing other things in public.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
flip flops are standard attire in the carolinas (moreso in SC), and most of the deep south.

i do notice that whenever i travel, people act like i'm committing some kind of crime by wearing them. recently i can remember people staring at my feet in Texas and New York City.

it must be a dead giveaway. they'd always ask "where i was from," and i'd just grin and say "the beach." anyways, i'd wear them 24/7 from March until November, if it was appropriate to do so.

Last edited by le roi; 10-26-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 12:25 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meijer6464 View Post
I'm a guy and bought my first ever pair of flip flops in the spring. I found them to be comfortable but couldn't bring myself to wear them to get togethers, barbeques, etc. I had no problem wearing them around the house or a quick trip to the gas station where I wasn't likely to run into anyone I know.

Nothing really wrong with my feet....just kinda shy about showing off my feet around people I know (family, friends, acquaintences, etc) although I don't have a problem wearing shorts. Ladies...if you had a relative or friend who never wore flip flops or sandals before, and all of a sudden started wearing them, what would you think? Do you think they make a guy look lazy, sloppy, or girly? Are there sandals that would be a better alternative?
My dad and my brothers don't wear sandals. They hate showing off their feet and they think that they are uncomfortable.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,303 times
Sandals are a great thing, embrace them and enjoy the freedom they provide. Don't be embarrassed to be seen in public wearing sandals. Who cares what you wear, the only one who really cares is obviously YOU! Get over the stigma you have developed and bare your toes. Try a nice pair of leather fisherman-style sandals if thong sandals present too much of an issue for you. Just a tip...open-toe sandals are more appropriate for men during the hot summer months, whereas a closed-toe sandal looks too formal to wear with shorts or even dress jeans. Just a suggestion

Old 02-12-2011, 03:08 PM

18 posts, read 41,346 times
I wore sandles and flip flops for a few years when I was in High School. At my location we had about 5 broken toes and I, 6 years later, still have a bad ingrown toenail from the time my foot had a HEAVY book bag dropped on it. I now wear steel toes boots almost 7 days a week. I say its your own funeral if you want to wear them in the wrong place.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty