Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 07:00 PM

30 posts, read 36,738 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

First off, let me start by saying thanks to everyone who views and take the time to answer my questions in regards to Fairbanks, AK. I'm interested in transferring my primary work location from Los Angeles (Long Beach) CA to Fairbanks, AK. I have a nice little gig in federal security working inspections making 40k. However, after making the transfer I could be making 50 to 60k pending on the position I transfer/lateral into and cost of living adjustment with incentives. But since this will be a voluntary transfer I'm not eligible for the relocation expenses assistance, hence why I'm not considering Bethal, Borrow or Kodiak State.
The main reason why I want to relocate to Fairbanks is to get away from the big city. I'm tired of the congested traffic, smog, long commute times, overcrowded places, rising cost of living, not being able to see the stars at night, noise, and everything else that goes along with living in the big city. However, on a brighter note, I'd like to experience the four seasons, be close to the forest, lakes and mountains, learn how to oil paint and photography, learn how to snow board, and be able to go back to school all while escaping the city life.
I have some questions in regards to Fairbanks and or Alaska in general.

1. Is there rent control in Fairbanks? If not, what is the annual rent increase percent?

2. What is the average price for a 2 bed 2 bath home in Fairbanks? Also, are the homes HOA's?

3. Are there many lakes, streams, hills and mountains within a 10 to 20 minute commute of Fairbanks?

2. What car and health insurance options are available for Fairbanks and Alaska in general?

3. Do the University of Alaska FB allow students to pursue a second bachelors degree?

4. How is traffic in terms of congestion?

5. How is the airport in term of being busy?

6. Is Fairbanks an overcrowded city?

7. Please fill free to include any additional information about Fairbanks or general that I should or need to know in order to make an wise decision in making this move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 01:26 PM

406 posts, read 755,857 times
Come for a visit.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:36 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Hello everyone,

However, after making the transfer I could be making 50 to 60k pending on the position I transfer/lateral into and cost of living adjustment with incentives.

That's going to result in a very tight budget for AK.

But since this will be a voluntary transfer I'm not eligible for the relocation expenses assistance, hence why I'm not considering Bethal, Borrow or Kodiak State.

Moving to Fairbanks is still going to be very expensive if you don't have any assistance. Unless of course all you move is yourself in a car.

The main reason why I want to relocate to Fairbanks is to get away from the big city. I'm tired of the congested traffic, smog, long commute times, overcrowded places, rising cost of living, not being able to see the stars at night, noise, and everything else that goes along with living in the big city.

Relatively speaking Fairbanks isn't big, but it still has traffic congestion (in the same crowded urban spots any city has), commute hassles (there are fewer options for getting someplace so more cars use the same roads that ARE available), some smog (during winter inversions and during summer wildfire season in particular), and the cost of living is rising just like it is everywhere else, maybe faster. Your relative costs for food and other goods are going to be much higher as just about everything you use on a day to day basis has to be shipped in from the south 48.

However, on a brighter note, I'd like to experience the four seasons, be close to the forest, lakes and mountains, learn how to oil paint and photography, learn how to snow board, and be able to go back to school all while escaping the city life.

You won't be near mountains if you live in Fairbanks. It's in the Tanana River valley.

What research have you done so far? Sounds like very little. Have you ever visited/worked in AK for any length of time? A couple of generalized starting spots:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbanks,_Alaska

https://www.city-data.com/city/Fairbanks-Alaska.html

As for costs of insurance and other services, start off by asking the providers you use now. If they don't service AK (many don't) they may be able to refer you on to those that do. Healthcare is very expensive and there's a lot less available.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-09-2018 at 03:04 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 05:04 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homwtown View Post
Hello everyone,

First off, let me start by saying thanks to everyone who views and take the time to answer my questions in regards to Fairbanks, AK. I'm interested in transferring my primary work location from Los Angeles (Long Beach) CA to Fairbanks, AK. I have a nice little gig in federal security working inspections making 40k. However, after making the transfer I could be making 50 to 60k pending on the position I transfer/lateral into and cost of living adjustment with incentives. But since this will be a voluntary transfer I'm not eligible for the relocation expenses assistance, hence why I'm not considering Bethal, Borrow or Kodiak State.
The main reason why I want to relocate to Fairbanks is to get away from the big city. I'm tired of the congested traffic, smog, long commute times, overcrowded places, rising cost of living, not being able to see the stars at night, noise, and everything else that goes along with living in the big city. However, on a brighter note, I'd like to experience the four seasons, be close to the forest, lakes and mountains, learn how to oil paint and photography, learn how to snow board, and be able to go back to school all while escaping the city life.

1. Is there rent control in Fairbanks? If not, what is the annual rent increase percent?
No. There are average rent costs, but these are set on the lease

2. What is the average price for a 2 bed 2 bath home in Fairbanks? Also, are the homes HOA's?
maybe you can get some ideas in here, but housing is expensive in Alaska: https://www.maddenrealestate.com

3. Are there many lakes, streams, hills and mountains within a 10 to 20 minute commute of Fairbanks?
Yes. Fairbanks includes hills, and low grounds. But if you want to see tall mountains you would ave to drive perhaps 90 miles toward Delta Juntion, and pass this town driving South on the Richardson Highway. Here you will see some incredibly beautiful landscapes (between Delta Junction and Summit Lake). There are a few fresh water holes and streams, but too cold for swimming unless it's hot during the summer.

2. What car and health insurance options are available for Fairbanks and Alaska in general?
Working for the State you would have Bluegrass/Blueshield of Alaska, but I don't know about other health insurance options).

3. Do the University of Alaska FB allow students to pursue a second bachelors degree?
Yes, I assume

4. How is traffic in terms of congestion?
Real easy if you come from CA. There may be a few contested intersections where it may take 3-5 minutes as you wait for the light to change

5. How is the airport in term of being busy?
Small city, small airport that is busy, but not congested. If inline you should make it to the counter with your luggage within 5-10 minutes

6. Is Fairbanks an overcrowded city?
Not really.

7. Please fill free to include any additional information about Fairbanks or general that I should or need to know in order to make an wise decision in making this move.
Everything you will need to know about the cost of living is found in here:
http://www.fnsb.us/cp/Community%20Re...ly/Current.pdf

Old 12-09-2018, 05:40 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,221 times
It is cold here from labor Day till Memorial day, and dark and cold from beginning of October thru mid-March.
It's not crowded t all, and traffic is non-existent, except for several congested intersections.
There a two seasons here - winter and construction season (or white winter and green winter), 9 and 3 months long.
Local university proudly holds about 300th place in USA university ranking, primarily due to pretty good engineering school.
Come visit here - not in summer months, now.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:54 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

Never heard of Bluegrass/Blueshield of Alaska, but the state is self-insured and has Aetna as its administrator. The plan is known as AlaskaCare.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
Come for a visit.
I will definitely do so. I plan on coming in both the summer and winter to get a good feel for the place.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Thanks very much for the link you sent. I got a chance to briefly skim through it and I was amazed by the wealth of info. I was looking at the cost of living numbers and you guys are on the higher-high end of food, utilities, and healthcare cost. Overall, the high cost don't shock me considering the location of Fairbanks, AK. Excluding heath-care (really no workaround) is there a way to lower the food and utilities cost? I figure Amazon and Costco might reduce the cost of food somewhat. In terms of utilities, I can only imagine, its the heating that drives up that category.

What did surprise me was the housing cost. Considering that a one bedroom apartment can be had for about $900 bucks, that would be a steal out here. Out here, $900 bucks would put one in a less than desirable neighborhood, at best. But it gets better. In Fairbanks the home sales prices are amazing for what one can get. To think, for 200k I could get a nice two bed and bath home. Out here, one would have a very long commute to own a home for 200k. Don't get me wrong, it probably can be done but its very unrealistic out this way.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Hello everyone,

However, after making the transfer I could be making 50 to 60k pending on the position I transfer/lateral into and cost of living adjustment with incentives.

That's going to result in a very tight budget for AK.

What would you consider a good budget for someone who isn't married without kids and pets?
If it's also helpful, I like to think of myself as a simple needs/wants person. So I don't need the night life, amusement parks, concerts or any other big social events. Give me television, internet, a canvas, camera and good shoes with a comfy couch I'm good to go.

But since this will be a voluntary transfer I'm not eligible for the relocation expenses assistance, hence why I'm not considering Bethal, Borrow or Kodiak State.

Moving to Fairbanks is still going to be very expensive if you don't have any assistance. Unless of course all you move is yourself in a car.

Interesting you mention this because I'm seriously considering, if I make this move, selling most of my things, shipping the car and buying like a basic bed, television, and couch.

What research have you done so far? Sounds like very little. Have you ever visited/worked in AK for any length of time? A couple of generalized starting spots:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbanks,_Alaska

https://www.city-data.com/city/Fairbanks-Alaska.html

Thanks for the links. I'm just starting my own personal research and reaching out to others so I get a better picture of what I could be getting myself into. Interesting enough couple of co-workers suggested I look into relocating to Alaska. They know I really don't want to be here in California or any big city anymore. Plus I've had the whole relocation conversation with them considering they use to do a lot of TDY in Anchorage (I didn't know Anchorage got caught off guard with the whole drug and gang problem).

As for costs of insurance and other services, start off by asking the providers you use now. If they don't service AK (many don't) they may be able to refer you on to those that do. Healthcare is very expensive and there's a lot less available.

My health insurance is good here and several other states just not Alaska this includes my car insurance as well. So I'm definitely going to be looking into those services. Oh by the way, do T-Mobile get good service out that way or will I have to change to either Verizon or ATT?

Old 12-09-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
It is cold here from labor Day till Memorial day, and dark and cold from beginning of October thru mid-March.
It's not crowded t all, and traffic is non-existent, except for several congested intersections.
There a two seasons here - winter and construction season (or white winter and green winter), 9 and 3 months long.
Local university proudly holds about 300th place in USA university ranking, primarily due to pretty good engineering school.
Come visit here - not in summer months, now.
I'm so looking forward to experiencing different weather patterns that what feels to me like 6 months of summer and 6 months of fall, each with little rain.
I would love to live in a place where a 10 to 15 minute commute doesn't turn into a 45 minute affair or even worse an hour long nightmare going nowhere (gridlock).
Now that I think about it, I will have to sign up for drivers lessons to learn how to drive in both snow and ice conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks