Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 06:34 PM

30 posts, read 36,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
$60k is plenty of money for a single person to live on in Fairbanks. You might not be buying new airplanes and jet boats every year, but it's certainly doable and you won't have to eat ramen noodles to do it either. Many people in Fairbanks earn much less than that.

There's some people that think $100k is the minimum amount you need just to survive in AK, but the reality is most people don't pull in that kind of salary and do just fine, even save and thrive.

T-Mobile might work ok IN Fairbanks, but anywhere outside of town and you'll want At&t, Verizon or GCI.

Good luck.
This is good to know because I consider myself very frugal. I like to think being frugal would allow me to live in most places but realistically some place are very expensive due to either geography (Barrow, AK) or prime location (downtown Manhattan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 06:48 PM

30 posts, read 36,812 times
So, as of today, I'm officially on the Fairbanks transfer list. It's a leap of faith and take it while its available type move. I'm not exactly sure about how much time I have to prepare before I'm extended a transfer offer but from what I hear its usually about three weeks, at the earliest, of when the request is made. So questions:

l. What areas or neighborhoods should I avoid in terms of crime (gangs, drugs, etc) and property value (people who don't maintain their property or neighborhoods)?

2. Studded or regular tires? Pros and cons too.

3. I'm starting to do a quote search for car shipping from Los Angeles to Fairbanks. So far I've been hitting mostly dead ends due to most requiring an email and phone number. However, the quotes I have successfully gotten range from 3k low end to 5k high end (uncovered). Are the shipping rates about right for a Nissan Versa Sedan traveling about 3,500 miles? Also, should I be aware of anything when it comes to having a vehicle shipped?

4. How reliable is the public transportation system (especially in the snow season) to and from the airport? I know there isn't service on weekends, holidays, and after certain hours. So hopefully, I can get office hours till my car arrive. Also, as a last resort is, how are the Uber and Lyft ridesharing service working out that way (I hear is still rather new)?

5. About how much are DMV yearly renewal fees? I was checking the Fairbanks DMV online, what's the $10 walk-in fee about?

I checked with the with local Nissan Dealership in Fairbanks about the heating block and getting one installed. Hopefully they offer this service. I did briefly look into installing one online and seem like the better block heaters aren't diy friendly to the non mechanically inclined.

Feel free to add anything

Old 12-17-2018, 10:28 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homwtown View Post
So, as of today, I'm officially on the Fairbanks transfer list. It's a leap of faith and take it while its available type move. I'm not exactly sure about how much time I have to prepare before I'm extended a transfer offer but from what I hear its usually about three weeks, at the earliest, of when the request is made. So questions:

l. What areas or neighborhoods should I avoid in terms of crime (gangs, drugs, etc) and property value (people who don't maintain their property or neighborhoods)? South Cushman is a bad neighborhood, and the general area over by the hospital is not great, although I lived there for a brief period several years ago and while I did not love it, I never had any problems. I think that neighborhood (by the hospital) is called Bjerremark. If I had to live in town, I don't hate the Aurora subdivision.

2. Studded or regular tires? Pros and cons too. I now have both and I have a strong preference for Blizzaks (non-studded winter). I bought a new (to me) pickup in September and it came with a set of studded winter tires, and I just don't like them as well as I like my Blizzaks, which I still have on my 4Runner. I thought it was my imagination at first, then I drove the 4Runner again for a while, and I just think they perform better. Others will disagree. I don't think anybody is right or wrong. I think it's just a matter of personal preference and differences in how people drive.

3. I'm starting to do a quote search for car shipping from Los Angeles to Fairbanks. So far I've been hitting mostly dead ends due to most requiring an email and phone number. However, the quotes I have successfully gotten range from 3k low end to 5k high end (uncovered). Are the shipping rates about right for a Nissan Versa Sedan traveling about 3,500 miles? Also, should I be aware of anything when it comes to having a vehicle shipped? I've never shipped a vehicle up here. Others here have, and will be able to help you out with that.

4. How reliable is the public transportation system (especially in the snow season) to and from the airport? I know there isn't service on weekends, holidays, and after certain hours. So hopefully, I can get office hours till my car arrive. Also, as a last resort is, how are the Uber and Lyft ridesharing service working out that way (I hear is still rather new)? Never used public transportation here. I've taken cabs a few times. It's pretty expensive.

5. About how much are DMV yearly renewal fees? I was checking the Fairbanks DMV online, what's the $10 walk-in fee about? Cheap, compared to California. No smog. I don't know what the $10 walk-in fee is. I try to go to Tags & Titles, which is a private outfit that contracts with the DMV. They have storefront offices and offer most DMV services for a fraction of the hassle and wait. This one is in North Pole, but the little spiel is right at the top:

https://www.expresstitleandtag.com/

I checked with the with local Nissan Dealership in Fairbanks about the heating block and getting one installed. Hopefully they offer this service. I did briefly look into installing one online and seem like the better block heaters aren't diy friendly to the non mechanically inclined.

I can testify that block heaters can be a b*#ch. I had one improperly installed several years ago and it popped out at about midnight between North Pole and Fairbanks when it was -40*F. That was extremely unpleasant. If your vehicle is under warranty you probably need to stick with the dealership. If not, I am allergic to dealerships and would go to a good mechanic in town. If you want to go that way, let us know. I know a good Toyota, Subaru, Honda guy, but I don't know that they work on Nissans.

Feel free to add anything
//

Old 12-17-2018, 12:43 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I wouldn't waste my time with studded or winter only tires. I've always done fine with the tires that come with my vehicle from the factory. If you have summer tires I would recommend getting an all season tire. Otherwise, you're stuck maintaining two sets of tires and dealing with the crush of people switching over when the first snow hits. If you get studs, they'll be useless after a couple of seasons, because even in the winter you're driving on dry pavement most of the time. I got studs once and found out they are highly overrated. As for my experience, I grew up here and have been driving during Alaska winters for over 50 years.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:49 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times
$10 fee is imposed if you go to a DMV office to renew. They want you to do it online!

Old 12-17-2018, 06:32 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I'd definitely get the Blizzacks. Big difference between someone who grew up in Anchorage and parts south and has been driving there all their lives and someone who's going to be new to the Fairbanks area and coming from LA.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:16 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
I wouldn't spend 3-4k+ shipping a car to alaska. i'd sell my car locally, and buy something in alaska. maybe something more alaska-practical.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:36 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'd definitely get the Blizzacks. Big difference between someone who grew up in Anchorage and parts south and has been driving there all their lives and someone who's going to be new to the Fairbanks area and coming from LA.
Agree with you, Met.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:42 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Totally agree.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:56 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
I CAN drive fine on all-season tires in the winter, but it's much easier to drive on Blizzaks or similar. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who needs a winter driving confidence boost. If you switch them out promptly in the spring they'll last for years, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks