Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:12 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times

Advertisements

If you're going to buy a used car, fly to Anchorage and buy it there from a private party. Not a big difference in pricing between Seattle and Anchorage on Craigslist. Subarus are a dime a dozen in Alaska so it could even be cheaper in Anchorage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 05:38 PM

30 posts, read 36,812 times
I was made a few unexpected offers today. I got a call from someone in HR making me an offer to work out of either Barrow, Bethel, Kotzebue, or Yaktat for up to 80K. However I'm on the hook for at least three years if I take the offer. I wont lie, I'm up for the adventure rural Alaska have to offer. However, I'd like a realistic outlook / expectation of what I'm getting myself into if I accept the offer?

Old 12-22-2018, 11:13 AM

23,301 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homwtown View Post
I was made a few unexpected offers today. I got a call from someone in HR making me an offer to work out of either Barrow, Bethel, Kotzebue, or Yaktat for up to 80K. However I'm on the hook for at least three years if I take the offer. I wont lie, I'm up for the adventure rural Alaska have to offer. However, I'd like a realistic outlook / expectation of what I'm getting myself into if I accept the offer?
Those places are quite different! Yakutat probably differs the most climatically and culturally from the others and its the smallest. It's not the AK Interior arctic "experience" the others are but it is still remote logistically. If you like more of a focus on marine industry and lifestyle, that's where you would find it.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:45 PM

460 posts, read 609,437 times
Yakutat definitely. You can fly to Juneau for some different scenery and get a car to drive around. If you get a couple of weeks off, then fly to bush areas north of Anchorage to check them out (in the winter). The bush up here is totally different than places off the road system in southeast. We are getting to -30 below here and could get lower in Jan. Had planes cancel for nearly 2 weeks because of foggy weather. Store was out of normal produce and eggs for awhile, people getting cranky because of no mail, ect.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:31 PM

I've spent the past few days watching YouTube videos featuring Barrow, Bethel, Yakutat, and Kotzebue. Honestly, I did not know what to expect and shockingly I'm rather impressed by what I was watching. I wouldn't mine spending time in any of those locations. I'll have plenty of time to really think about things considering Uncle Sam is shutdown so no paperwork will be processed. I am curious though, if I'm able to luck out and find a place to rent for a few years, how much am I looking at for a one bedroom rental (Rough estimate wise will it lean more towards prices in Anchorage $800-$1600, Juneau $1100+, or Fairbanks $500-$1200)?

Old 12-26-2018, 01:39 PM

460 posts, read 609,437 times
Would not want to live in any of those remote places unless housing was provided. My stepson has worked in Bethel on rotation because some of these places can't get locals. Rent in these places is usually high ($1600 or more and substandard) housing alone can be hard to find and logistics on getting vehicles there in a reasonable time can be interesting.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
Would not want to live in any of those remote places unless housing was provided. My stepson has worked in Bethel on rotation because some of these places can't get locals. Rent in these places is usually high ($1600 or more and substandard) housing alone can be hard to find and logistics on getting vehicles there in a reasonable time can be interesting.
Thanks for this advice, much appreciated. Fairbanks here I come.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:56 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homwtown View Post
Thanks for this advice, much appreciated. Fairbanks here I come.
Cool!! When will you be here?

Old 12-28-2018, 07:01 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
If you're going to buy a used car, fly to Anchorage and buy it there from a private party. Not a big difference in pricing between Seattle and Anchorage on Craigslist. Subarus are a dime a dozen in Alaska so it could even be cheaper in Anchorage.
That's what I did. Looked for the pickup I bought in September for a very long time. Finally found it in Anchorage, sent it to a mechanic, then flew down to buy it. Recommend. Fairbanks is a terrible place to buy a used vehicle.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:33 PM

Outside of Apartments.com and Apartments finders are there any other sites that I can checkout for finding a nice one bed and bath apartment? I was scoping out Craigslist but a co-worker told me to be careful because that site is littered with various degrees of rental scams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks