Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 03:35 PM

30 posts, read 36,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
$10 fee is imposed if you go to a DMV office to renew. They want you to do it online!
The DMV would have to impose a $100 fee out here for that plan to work. At many of the DMV locations out this way, if your not there early in the morning, there is a chance your dealing with a majority of your day affair. So, I applaud Fairbanks for trying to streamline most of the services online. That is, if course, there aren't to many glitches and or errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I wouldn't spend 3-4k+ shipping a car to alaska. i'd sell my car locally, and buy something in alaska. maybe something more alaska-practical.
Initially, I was going to go this route and probably get a used Subaru with under 20k miles. However, I've read often that there isn't to much competition in certain Alaskan industries where the customer can get a good bargain discount. Unfortunately, seem the automotive industry falls under that category.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:27 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,673,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homwtown View Post

2. Studded or regular tires? Pros and cons too.

3. I'm starting to do a quote search for car shipping from Los Angeles to Fairbanks. So far I've been hitting mostly dead ends due to most requiring an email and phone number. However, the quotes I have successfully gotten range from 3k low end to 5k high end (uncovered). Are the shipping rates about right for a Nissan Versa Sedan traveling about 3,500 miles? Also, should I be aware of anything when it comes to having a vehicle shipped?

I checked with the with local Nissan Dealership in Fairbanks about the heating block and getting one installed. Hopefully they offer this service. I did briefly look into installing one online and seem like the better block heaters aren't diy friendly to the non mechanically inclined.

Feel free to add anything

Get a set of winter tires when you get up there. Blizzaks or studded, your choice.

Consider pricing shipping from Seattle to Anchorage. Drive to Seattle and drop the car off. Pick it up in Anchorage when it arrives and drive it to Fairbanks. You could drive it all the way up, which could be more of an adventure in January. Otherwise, consider selling it down there and buying something else up here.

Whatever you end up with you will need some way of preheating the engine in Fairbanks. Block heaters are most common. There are also oil pan heaters and inline coolant hose heaters.

Also, curious about your questions on health care providers. Will you not have coverage provided by your employer? That usually dictates and constrains your choices.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:27 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,108,441 times
Quote:
Initially, I was going to go this route and probably get a used Subaru with under 20k miles. However, I've read often that there isn't to much competition in certain Alaskan industries where the customer can get a good bargain discount. Unfortunately, seem the automotive industry falls under that category.
Your observation is correct. I refer to it as the farthest north phenomenon. The farther north you get, the worse it gets. A used Subaru is a good plan, but I'd definitely snag one down there!

Last edited by riceme; 12-18-2018 at 05:00 PM..

Old 12-18-2018, 04:50 PM

How much better are the Blizzacks tires in comparison to a set of all season tires in terms of winter driving for someone new to driving on the snow and icy Fairbanks roads? I'm in the early planning phase and so far seems like the best route would be to get the all season tires until I secure an apartment and storage unit (I read Blizzacks tires can last 3 to 4 winters if not used year round).

Also, I'm not exactly sure how expensive utilities are in Fairbanks (especially in the winter {heating}). Would I be better off getting an apartment that charge more for rent but all the utilities are covered or would I be okay in an apartment that charge less for rent but I have to pay all the utilities?

Old 12-18-2018, 05:06 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,108,441 times
There are always Blizzaks for sale on Craigslist. I would look for a set there. I think they handle a lot better than all season tires, but everyone has a different opinion on that.

Utilities are very expensive here. Best to have utilities included, but most important to have heat included. I'd say that is critical for someone new to the area.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Get a set of winter tires when you get up there. Blizzaks or studded, your choice.

Consider pricing shipping from Seattle to Anchorage. Drive to Seattle and drop the car off. Pick it up in Anchorage when it arrives and drive it to Fairbanks. You could drive it all the way up, which could be more of an adventure in January. Otherwise, consider selling it down there and buying something else up here.

Whatever you end up with you will need some way of preheating the engine in Fairbanks. Block heaters are most common. There are also oil pan heaters and inline coolant hose heaters.

Also, curious about your questions on health care providers. Will you not have coverage provided by your employer? That usually dictates and constrains your choices.
Sorry that I deleted my response to what you said here, I forgot to answer your last question fully.

It never occurred to me that I should drive to Seattle then ship my car to Anchorage (Thanks). But then again, I never drove in snow much more ice. I'm trying to avoid that till I get to Fairbanks and find a nice open parking lot to practice. Initially, I plan on commuting via bus till I feel comfortable commuting around on snow and ice. Hopefully, I'll feel comfortable sooner rather than later, but I'm in no rush.

Yes, I did some research and found the block heater to be more common and the better choice since it keeps the oil around the engine warm as well. However, I'm not mechanically inclined and from what I read block heaters aren't simple install on some cars. Seems like some cars have an under the hood design and parts that are proprietary and or a haggle to deal with. Interesting enough, depending on where on live some cars come winterized (believe that is the word) standard or for a few hundreds more.
Interesting enough though, some folk have both a block heater and oil pan heater. The reasoning is that there will be less stress on the engine.

Through my job I have an option to have health insurance via a HMO or PPO. As of now I have Kaiser because I there are plenty of Kaiser hospitals in SoCal and they are like a one stop shop (no running around town for different medical test). I wasn't sure of the health insurance provider options in Fairbanks and the rest of Alaska. I know Kaiser isn't in network for Alaska so I wanted to find out what health provider options did most Alaskans have and if they like their health care service. For me I like Kaiser since its a one stop shop but I so dislike having to wait a month and a half to see my doctor. So far seems Blue Cross is the way to go for Fairbanks and the greater Alaska.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:50 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,008,081 times
Quote:
How much better are the Blizzacks tires in comparison to a set of all season tires in terms of winter driving for someone new to driving on the snow and icy Fairbanks roads? I'm in the early planning phase and so far seems like the best route would be to get the all season tires until I secure an apartment and storage unit (I read Blizzacks tires can last 3 to 4 winters if not used year round).

Also, I'm not exactly sure how expensive utilities are in Fairbanks (especially in the winter {heating}). Would I be better off getting an apartment that charge more for rent but all the utilities are covered or would I be okay in an apartment that charge less for rent but I have to pay all the utilities?
There are all season tires, all weather tires and true winter tires. Generally all season tires do not stay pliable in extreme cold weather which makes them useless in Fairbanks. An all weather tire generally has a compound in the rubber that helps keeps it flexible when it gets cold. All weather tires also have a more aggressive tread design. The downside to an all weather tire is it is designed to be used in all driving conditions year round thus while good in all conditions it is not great in any one condition. A true winter tire such as a Blizzack works very well in Fairbanks winter conditions.

Whenever I went to Fairbanks in the winter I had all weather tires and never had a problem. Then again I drive a Jeep with full time four wheel drive and have many years of winter driving experience. If you get an all wheel drive vehicle such as a Subaru all weather tires might work for you. Then again if you have to drive up steep hills and long distances on icy roads then you really might want to consider Blizzacks.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:57 PM

532 posts, read 447,223 times
It never occurred to me that I should drive to Seattle then ship my car to Anchorage (Thanks). But then again, I never drove in snow much more ice. I'm trying to avoid that till I get to Fairbanks and find a nice open parking lot to practice. Initially, I plan on commuting via bus till I feel comfortable commuting around on snow and ice. Hopefully, I'll feel comfortable sooner rather than later, but I'm in no rush.

I have had my vehicles shipped to Fairbanks, all covered by the military but my last one was out of pocket and I basically did door to door. I looked but cant find my receipt for that last one. I shipped a small car from Sierra Vista Arizona to Fairbanks and I think that was a little under 3k 5years ago (open cargo).
Some considerations:
So if you buy a new or late model up here it might cost you 2 to 4k more for the same vehicle you buy where you are at, maybe that helps justify your shipping price.
The shipper let me pack some household effects in my car.
The driver who delivered my car knew where he wanted to get off and back on the highway and we met at a local service station so not quite door to door.
Do a good pre inspection with a clean vehicle ,take some pictures of your vehicle. Let your insurance company know what you are doing they may have suggestions.
On the other hand-- This is a military town and there is a high turnover of vehicles so good used car shopping. Check out Craigslist.

Driving: You are from LA? I have lived in SoCal, you are gonna find driving here a breeze!!
If you live in and work in Fairbanks like me the roads are flat and well maintained, drive slower and give extra time and space to stop.

Another tire option- Instead of "All Season" tires, check out "All Weather" tires.

Yes, I did some research and found the block heater to be more common and the better choice since it keeps the oil around the engine warm as well. However, I'm not mechanically inclined and from what I read block heaters aren't simple install on some cars. Seems like some cars have an under the hood design and parts that are proprietary and or a haggle to deal with. Interesting enough, depending on where on live some cars come winterized (believe that is the word) standard or for a few hundreds more.
Interesting enough though, some folk have both a block heater and oil pan heater. The reasoning is that there will be less stress on the engine.

Winterization: Is usually these 3 things 1.Block heater - removal of a freeze plug from your block and installing a little coiled heating element into that hole that provides a little heat to your coolant 2. Oil pan heater - a little heating pad that sticks directly to the bottom of your oil pan 3. Battery pad - another little pad stuck directly to the bottom of your battery. Oh yeah and all your vehicles oil and lube fluids are replaced with full synthetics. Many choices for shops up here to do this for you.

Through my job I have an option to have health insurance via a HMO or PPO. As of now I have Kaiser because I there are plenty of Kaiser hospitals in SoCal and they are like a one stop shop (no running around town for different medical test). I wasn't sure of the health insurance provider options in Fairbanks and the rest of Alaska. I know Kaiser isn't in network for Alaska so I wanted to find out what health provider options did most Alaskans have and if they like their health care service. For me I like Kaiser since its a one stop shop but I so dislike having to wait a month and a half to see my doctor. So far seems Blue Cross is the way to go for Fairbanks and the greater Alaska.[/quote]

Insurance:
I have Tricare retiree so I'm seen on base like a PPO and no copay.
But my current employer also gives me BCBS and I've used that for several Ortho surgeries in town.
Just a comment on overall care, my wife under went breast cancer treatment and we found the care provided locally to be great, we went to Seattle for a second opinion and they concurred with all care that she received here.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:46 PM

20,294 posts, read 37,212,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I CAN drive fine on all-season tires in the winter, but it's much easier to drive on Blizzaks or similar. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who needs a winter driving confidence boost. If you switch them out promptly in the spring they'll last for years, too.
Agree with you about Blizzak tires. I have a mounted set of Blizzak, and another of all-season tires for driving from Spring to winter. The same for my wife's SUV.

All-season tires aren't made the same relating to the amount of ice and snow they can handle. The ones that offer a tread that is slightly aggressive, plus a softer rubber compound perform better on ice and snow than the ones with smoother tread and harder rubber compound, although that is not all. I have all-weather tires(aggressive tread and softer rugged compound) on my 2001 Silverado, but these do not last as long as some other all weather tires. However, they do handle ice and some snow quite well. I just leave them on the truck year around. TireRack has great information about tires

By the way, there was a truck ahead of me this morning while driving to work on Peger Road. The truck probably had all-season tires, because it was fish-tailing even at the 40 MPH speed, while mine was steady and surefooted. Maybe the driver was being a little to aggressive with the gas pedal, but I could tell that the tires on the late model GMC were on the smooth side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks