Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
I agree. What you can do is a better indicator of fitness than what you look like.
So true. Functional fitness is what its called. Thing is, if you really are capable of "doing it", then you are bound to have a somewhat flat stomach/small waist.

I dont see a lot of guys capable of running 10 100 yard sprints with 50 situps at the end of each 100 yard sprint and done as fast as possible. Also dont see any fat bellied guys completing tabata rounds of pushups, pullups, situps, squats, burpees. But I do see a lot of big bellied powerlifters.

Oh, and another thing. CHICKS DIG THE "V" SHAPE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Wow. What a bunch of fat beer drinking Peter Griffins around here. Again, I am 6' 1" tall and I know that if my waist gets larger than 32 inches I would consider myself fat (i.e., fat = need to lose body fat %). Everything I own is 30-32. If I were bigger I would not be happy with myself in terms of my health/fitness. The MOST important measurement is waist/stomach when it comes to health/fitness and I want to always keep mine as low as possible.
Anything over 32 is overweight. Period. No other explanation needed about weights, body frame and all that hoopla LMAO.

Anyway, depending on the fabric, mine ranges between 30 and 32.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
So true. Functional fitness is what its called. Thing is, if you really are capable of "doing it", then you are bound to have a somewhat flat stomach/small waist.

I dont see a lot of guys capable of running 10 100 yard sprints with 50 situps at the end of each 100 yard sprint and done as fast as possible. Also dont see any fat bellied guys completing tabata rounds of pushups, pullups, situps, squats, burpees. But I do see a lot of big bellied powerlifters.

Exactly! That's my fitness mantra, the glorious V, not even a six-pack.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:55 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:

Conversely, I've met some "big guys" who... While not sprinters, were pretty fast.

-I'm not, I was a 7 min miler, but I could keep up that pase for many miles.

ANYWAY, sen some big guys who could keep up with the pack, but who could toss a morter baseplate ON TOP Their pack and go all day not noticing it!!!
(incase I havnt adequately explained.. Cardio was a nonissue)

In short... "it depends"

Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
what exactly is the "V shape" ? having shoulders wider than the waist, or is it the definition of your abs?

if it is simply having the shoulders wider than the waist, then i qualify, despite being overweight.

also, what sized chest/shoulders are you guys with the 30-32 inch waists? As in, American suit size, 40, 42, 44, 46, long, regular, short, etc.... I am curious.

Last edited by le roi; 06-13-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
30-32 is optimal (aesthetically speaking). Sure, one can be in shape or "fit" with a larger waist size, but it is not as optimal.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:21 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Anything over 32 is overweight. Period. No other explanation needed about weights, body frame and all that hoopla LMAO.

Anyway, depending on the fabric, mine ranges between 30 and 32.
This is completely nonsensical. I'm 6'4" and I'd bet I wouldn't have a 32" waist at 5% bodyfat.

You simply cannot generalize in this way. Look at Mariusz Pudzianowski - no one can argue that man is not in shape. What's his waist measurement? 36"+, and that's at only 6'1". Waist size depends on too many things to be applied across the board...

Last edited by hooligan; 06-13-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 10:22 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
like it or not, the six pack is the holy grail of sexiness.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,117,533 times
You don't have to be shredded to do powerlifting, just be crazy strong. Yes, most powerlifters are definitely fat, won't lie. The fact remains that as long as your functional fitness is on point, that's what counts. Big deal if your waist is past the optimal range We all have different workout preferences. Some of us like the cross country workout routine, others like to lift heavy weights for size/strength. As long as you're healthy, everyone should mind their business and worry about what they're doing. Genetically, no matter how hard some workout, they will never get that six pack. V-Shape, yes; I might add is very nice.

Quote:
Foolishness. Not everything is cut & dry like you make it out to be.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
This is completely nonsensical. I'm 6'4" and I'd bet I wouldn't have a 32" waist at 5% bodyfat.

You simply cannot generalize in this way. Look at Mariusz Pudzianowski - no one can argue that man is not in shape. What's his waist measurement? 36"+, and that's at only 6'1". Waist size depends on too many things to be applied across the board...
Does this mean that C/D Fitness board is filled with the likes of dudes like Mariusz Pudzianowski

If yes, that's impressive. Message boards give fatties the greatest venue to hide behind their computers and justify their over 32 waists. Everybody is a work in progress, and I get that, boys. But let's not beat around the bush and disqualify the rule based on a few athletic exceptions.

I'm with Lao on this. An average dude cannot say, I'm a size 34 and I am "not" overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness