Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 05:32 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
Aren't South Tyroleans like that as well?
South Tyroleans love to display their supposed Germanness when they want to be loud, then they remember all the billions Italy has given them and they quickly realise that their lifestyle (= highest GDP per capita but one of less productive region in Italy) can be maintained only remaining in Italy.
They aren't stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 05:40 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
South Tyroleans love to display their supposed Germanness when they want to be loud, then they remember all the billions Italy has given them and they quickly realise that their lifestyle (= highest GDP per capita but one of less productive region in Italy) can be maintained only remaining in Italy.
They aren't stupid.
Well, Tyroleans are Tyroleans... Sometimes a bit stubborn... That said, I kinda understand that they feel Tyrolean first and Italian second for historical reasons...

In any case, it's not so much about the money Italy has given to South Tyrol, but about the money they didn't have to give to Rome (as opposed to Vienna, which would happily collect all the tax money from South Tyrol). Now with the EU and the abolition of discrimation against Tyroleans, it's the best to just stay with Italy, to keep most of the tax money and to enjoy all the additional goodies the Austrians grant them...

Old 04-09-2014, 02:49 PM

199 posts, read 336,635 times
^ Out of curiosity, how do Austrians (and the rest of German-speaking Europe) view South Tyroleans? As Italians or as fellow "Germans" who happen to be part of Italy?

Also, I wonder how South Tyrol feels when more and more Italian-speakers migrate to this region.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:14 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Is it true that in Sicily women are more dangerous than shotguns?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
He's dark but he looks more central Italian or northern, not like an average southerner or Sicilian.
That's dark enough for me.

Nevertheless, below here is a classic portrait of a naturally beautiful black-haired, dark-eyed Sicilian woman(So Mediterranean-looking!). This was taken from the National Geographic Archives.
http://www.nytstore.com/assets/images/Natgeo/377643.jpg

Last edited by saxonwold; 04-09-2014 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 PM

Genetically, Italians(Including Sicilians and Sardinians), after the Finns are the most atypical Europeans.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:43 AM

614 posts, read 3,211,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
That's dark enough for me.

Nevertheless, below here is a classic portrait of a naturally beautiful black-haired, dark-eyed Sicilian woman(So Mediterranean-looking!). This was taken from the National Geographic Archives.
http://www.nytstore.com/assets/images/Natgeo/377643.jpg
She looks like an ancient Greek.

Anyway with regard to your last comment, the reason southern Italians and Finns are genetic outliers in Europe is the latter approach Cypriots and the former Saamis, on PCA plots.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:01 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
^ Out of curiosity, how do Austrians (and the rest of German-speaking Europe) view South Tyroleans? As Italians or as fellow "Germans" who happen to be part of Italy?

Also, I wonder how South Tyrol feels when more and more Italian-speakers migrate to this region.
Personally, I see them as Tyroleans. The German speaking folks are just like North/East Tyroleans. I definitely don't see them as Germans, because they have never really been part of Germany. I also don't think of them as Austrians since they have Italian citizenship.

The German speaking population actually grew between 2001 and 2011, but I think that was mostly due to the countryside.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
She looks like an ancient Greek.

Anyway with regard to your last comment, the reason southern Italians and Finns are genetic outliers in Europe is the latter approach Cypriots and the former Saamis, on PCA plots.
I repeat Finns and Italians are the most atypical Europeans.

These are the reasons given by European biologists who worked on creating a genetic map of Europe showing the relationship between its various populations.

" The apparent isolation of the Finnish population arose because the Finnish population was once very small and then expanded, bearing the atypical genetics of its few founders. The genetic distance between the Italians and other Europeans is may have been caused by the Alps, who are thought to have hindered the free flow of people between Italy and the rest of Europe."

Old 04-10-2014, 08:13 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
I repeat Finns and Italians are the most atypical Europeans.

These are the reasons given by European biologists who worked on creating a genetic map of Europe showing the relationship between its various populations.

" The apparent isolation of the Finnish population arose because the Finnish population was once very small and then expanded, bearing the atypical genetics of its few founders. The genetic distance between the Italians and other Europeans is may have been caused by the Alps, who are thought to have hindered the free flow of people between Italy and the rest of Europe."
So the Roman Empire did very little to mix these populations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe